When would/did you introduce your little one to other driks...?

Hi Mums,

My little girl is now two months old and growing and gaining weight beautifully (fingers crossed) I am breastfeeding her exclusively...Recently someone mentioned I should be giving her juices/herbal tea/water with glucose...??? Isn't she too young? What are your views please? I was going to continue with breastmilk alone untill weaning time...

Thanks in advance!

That's slightly misguided advice. Breastfed babies do not need other liquids, including water. The only time to make an exception to this would be if the weather is extremely hot. Then you could offer 1-2 oz of water. However, some people even think this is unnecessary b/c in hot weather, the mother's milk should become more watery. The studies I read on it showed that children in hot climates were able to remain hydrated through this principle, although I couldn't find any research looking at mothers acclimatised to cool climates but experiencing an acute heatwave. (But it's neither here nor there for you, as the weather is lovely and cool now!)

Generally you might start to offer other liquids like formula milk at the same time as weaning, eg around 6 months depending on when your baby is showing signs of being ready. The BLW book is very helpful on this. But equally, there's no need to offer formula if you're happy to keep breasfeeding just a while longer. Indeed some babies go straight from boob to cup and never drink any formula or cow/goat's milk etc.

As far is juice is concerned, there is no dietary requirement for it. In addition, too much juice is linked to urinary infections, tooth decay, and childhood obesity. I couldn't find the UK guidelines, but the American Academy of Pedeatrics recommends no more than 2-4 oz of juice per day for babies and children.

That being said, if you find your baby suffers constipation when you start weaning, then offering a couple of oz of prune juice diluted in water is very effective.

My daughter is nearly 2 years old, and we usually stick to milk or water, but I'm not a fanatic about it. This is nice too b/c when she does get juice it makes it a real treat. I try to strike a balance between what's healthy and what's fun as a treat.

For now you're doing brilliantly just breastfeeding your baby. Your body makes everything Baby needs. xx

Were they being serious?!?

You are absolutely right - breastmilk alone is all you need until you start to introduce solid food. Do NOT give your baby that other stuff...

But don't just take it from me - ask your GP/health visitor for their opinion and, if you haven't already done so, get some books from the library on breastfeeding and weaning (the Gina Ford weaning book is really good, even if you don't agree with her philosophy on anything else!) and then next time anyone gives you such ill-advised recommendations, you'll be able to politely explain to them why they are dangerously incorrect.

By the way, if the advice comes from someone of an older generation, be tactful when you tell them they are wrong- the advice in this area has changed dramatically in the last generation or two.

Yes, hard to be tactful sometimes. If it's advice from a stranger or passerby, just politely acknowledge them and move on. Advice from, say, your mother-in-law, is harder to avoid. I would try saying something like, We're doing fine just breastfeeding for now, and we plan to add a cup when we wean. xx

PS re Saffron's comment re adding water/heatwaves etc - I breastfed exclusively and moved from the UK to the severe heat of a Hong Kong summer when my baby was 8 weeks old so I guess I'm an example of a mother 'acclimatised to a cool climate'.

In my experience, I did not need to supplement with water. I just needed to breastfeed a bit more often, and also to make sure that I drank plenty of water myself. It seemed that my body (and baby) adjusted almost immediately.

If anecdotal evidence helps, many of my friends here are expats who also breastfed exclusively when their babies were little and I don't know of any that gave their babies water until they started weaning. (Bottle-fed babies here do, however, need extra water when the weather gets hot).

Agree with the others, breastmilk is all that's needed until weaning time. I introduced a bit of water when my two started on solids, but more for fun than thirst as they were both still taking milk at that point.

I feel sad when I see small babies with bottles of juice, to me it's a sign of the life of nutrition that will follow for them. Even now, at 4.75 and 3.5, my kids only get juice as a treat when we're out for a meal!

Don't offer juice until water is well

Established/baby happy with a cup ... 7-8m in my experience

Once a child is used to juice, they will

Never tSke to water (why would they?)

I don't buy juice any more for myself, even (sob)

If it's on the fridge you will get

Pestered

I just buy mini cartons for in the park...

Baby (11m) hasn't had it yet afaik

My 16month old only has water, milk at bed and at breakfast. The longer it stays like that the better, she doesn't need juice, she has sipped someone else's at playgroups and just pulled a face and spat it out!!!! They can fill up on juice and eat less!!!