Interesting article regarding washing at low temperatures

This is worth a read, though I do post with the caveat that it is a Daily Mail article, so apologies for that;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2050239/How-washing-machines-familys-health-risk-Low-temperatures-mixed-loads-spreading-dangerous-bugs.html

I don't think this is cause for panic, but I do think it is worth bearing in mind that some items - towels, bedding maybe, and certainly cloth nappies (I have to include those, don't I)! and certain clothes depending what they have been exposed to, should be washed at 60 degrees.

The article mentions Nappisan, but remember this can be very damaging to modern shaped nappies, items with elastic, velcro or any bamboo fabrics so is best avoided, other than on flat terry squares, towels etc.

Most of our washing is done at 30 degrees, but I still wash towels and bedding at higher temps. What about everyone else?

There is also this, which is what I always told people about in my nappy demos;

"Many consumers believe biological detergents are harsher on sensitive skin, but a study published in the British Journal Of Dermatology found little evidence for this."

Because the non-bios contain bleach, whilst the bios contain enzymes, and actually both can be equally aggressive on the skin. What is relevant is how much detergent you use in each wash, and what you/your family happens to be sensitive to. There is no non-bio detergent in most of Europe and no higher incidence of skin sensitivity or eczema.

Food for thought!

Molly

I also wash towels and bedding at 60C and the rest at 30 or 40 depending on stains. I do think the actual risk of catching something dangerous through a laundry that you won't catch through normal contact within a family is probably very small. If norovirus only spread through contact with poo we wouldn't all get it so easily although I understand that you may want to exclude as much risk as possible with a newborn or somebody of weak overall health. Good point about the hygiene of the washing machine itself though!

Hi, I wash towels, bedding and Muslins at 60, clothing at 40 unless it's a small load which takes 40 mins but at 30degrees. If you constantly wash at 30 and 40 bacteria builds up in your rubber seal! Once a month do a 90degree cycle but with nothing in the machine, just powder/tablet, whatever you use.

Very interesting - but based on the advice here, I'm going to be doing about 8 separate washes a week, and will end up with very small smalls if I put them in on 60 degrees!!

I do wash bedding and towels at 60 though, and occasionally run a 90 degree wash through, with some vinegar as I was told an old trick years ago that the acid in that helps to desolve (TMI alert) body fats from the machine. Eeewww.

I've always thought that the concept of washing at low temps to be environmentally friendly is actually a marketing ploy to get you to buy new detergents. The heat and energy used to make these fancy new detergents is probably more than what you save by doing low temp washes.

I prefer to wash in hotter water with less detergent. When clothes can't be washed warm/hot, I tend to soak or wash them longer. And I hate, really HATE, when I've just washed my hands and dried them, only to find there's a slight mildew smell from the 'clean' towel!!!! If that ever happens around here, it's straight in a 90 C wash I'm afraid.

Yay! "Researchers found the only way to eradicate the bacterium (Staphylococcus aureus) was with temperatures of 40c and above combined with a detergent containing bleach."

I've continued using non-bio for my eczema ridden lot despite knowing about the dermatological research but always wondered if it was maybe just my imagination that it appeared to make a difference to husband and itchy small. But that explains it. Staph A is a real problem for A and her dad, as it is for many with eczema, so the beneficial effects of the bleach in the non-bio dealing with the Staph obviously override whatever irritation it causes. Won't be the same for everyone of course, but it appears to work for us.