Discussion on Barry Road Hostel (formerly thread called Number 12 Bus)

Many Asylum seekers spend ages in limbo after being refused asylum (usually always refused at first instance nowadays regardless of the merits of their case) but because the countries they come from are too dangerous to send them back to, they are left with no legal status with ?30 food vouchers and no legal aid for further appeals. Pretty grim, especially as it's usually the West who have profitted from the sale of arms to their home countries that are ripping through their towns and villages in the first place. There are a lot who end up severely depressed and in need of mental health intervention.

Will take your word for all that, as your info is probably a bit more up to date than mine. I was dealing with a lot of cases about 3 years ago, but haven't been involved for a while. At that time it was rare for asylem to be refused, and would usually be granted within a year.

Barry House was originally Greystones / Greystokes? Nursing Home but after several national newspapers published details of physical abuse and neglect of a resident there who died as result of this, local authorities were wary about using it for older people. It started to take in younger physically and mentally disabled people but again ran in to trouble with NHS/LA for poor practice. Relatives began taking their loved ones out and social services rehoused the rest.

When it first opened Barry House was a hostel for homeless people - unfortunately some of the early residents were so anti social, picking fights in the street, attacking bus drivers, children out of control - police being called out several times a day. Barry House took in Asylum seekers who were for the most part, no trouble. Home Office funding was withdrawn at one time and they went back to housing homeless people. I did hear that they refused to take homeless people after around ?40,000 of damage was done to the premises, with furniture being ripped and broken on a regular basis.

Home Office have funded them again but they seem to be a 'stopping off ' venue, and the mini buses transport them to more permanent sites/venues. Nobody, as far as I can tell, (I live opposite) instructs them to be off the premises at 8 am.

Residents and staff tend to be friendly - very rarely trouble there now.

Any concerns about this hostel or its residents - ask to speak to Martin, who is one of the Directors.