Denmark Hill train station - lack of progress

teddyt

Has anyone else noticed a complete lack of ANY work being done at Denmark Hill train station? I haven't seen a single workman there in the three months the scaffolding and temporary bridge went up. I'm half wondering if they've just run out of money for the project.

Oh, hang on, they have managed to cut some trees down. Wow.

teddyt Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>I haven't seen a single workman there in the three

> months the scaffolding and temporary bridge went

> up.

I'm guessing you've been looking in the day time. Due to the proximity with a live track I would have expected most works to be done at night when there are no trains.

PSJ Wrote:

> I was thinking the same, but when passing their

> today they were working at laying the path from

> the main road to the platform.

Safety rules won't prevent all work from being done during the day, only those things that carry a risk of falling onto the track, materials slippage, machines that could slew across the track or into any live equipment etc. That often means that no work is done during the day but laying a path sounds like something that could be done with no inherent risk.

If you look carefully you'll seem some huge polysytrene blocks. These are used to fill in the gaps between platforms when they're working on site enabling workers to easilly get around and move materials and equipment. To use these blocks they must be getting line closures. So I suspect most work it planned to take place at night time or weekends with train line closures. They plan to now finish summer 2012. I suspect before 1 July when the Olympic madness really cuts in. So I don't get any idea of a great rush and wouldn't expect more than one shift working on site doing nights. Which means most of us wont see much happening until new foundations in place and then above ground visible works.

• 2 months later...

Still not a lot of movement 7 blokes standing around the one hole since christmas.

I am wondering if the have turned the polysytrene block into polysytrene tea cups as they always seem to be drinking tea.

Also this only seems to take place between the hours of 09.00 - 1400 then all you see is dust fron their vans leaving site.

• 6 months later...
Does anyone have idea what is going on at Denmark Hill Station? They closed the main station entrance for months and erected a tempory footbridge, now the station is open again but looks identical to before (albeit perhaps with a lick of paint). I thought they might have at least done something about the crazily narrow doorway which is a total bottleneck when busy in the mornings. I have seen drawings somewhere of a gleaming glass and steel footbridge with lifts included, but progress in constructing this seems unbelievably slow. Summer 2013 now looks more realistic.

postboy Wrote:

> I'm waiting to see if the station will become

> accessible as my husband is disabled and has never

> ever been able to use that station, also applies

> to East Dulwich.

All of the publicity about the redevelopment is very clear that step-free access is one of the main things they are doing.