16month old wont eat

My 16 month old grandaughter is worrying her mum to death by not eating. She has had a good and varied diet since weaning but over last few weeks she will not take anything except from the pouches you can suck from. She has 2 bottles, one morning on wakening and before bed. She is bright and bouncy, talking non stop, but just refuses food, even the stuff she previously loved.

Any advice or re-assurance greatfully received! xxx

My daughter was just like this! She tended to go through phases of non eating then she would get better again. She's never been a great eater but like your granddaughter has always talked non stop and been full of energy. I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe she is teething and has molars coming through? Those ella's kitchen pouches are a godsend. My daughter has always loved pasta with just butter and grated parmesan - maybe try that? Or bananas?

Hi Kalamiphile; this is so, so common in cheeky toddlers. My son is the same. In fact, most of my friends' babies are the same. my 2 year old is just now, at 23m, coming to the end of his fussy patch and will now actually eat. It's a challenging phase, but it will pass, the important thing is to not get too stressed or make too much of a fuss; they can sense your fear, you know...

I'd say as long as she is eating and drinking milk, she is getting plenty of nourishment. So if her mum can relax, and just keep offering food, but not get stressed if she refuses it. She will eat again! I went through a phase myself when I ate nothing but white rice with ketchup. My mum ignored me and after a while I started eating again. And now I eat everything :)

Thank you both for your re-assurance. I did wonder if it was one of those interminable 'phases'! Especially as she is finding her self and testing out the boundaries. She is a little minx and sometimes you can see the glint in her eye! I think the few people my daughter knows have babies who sleep well and eat what they are given. I do try and point out that they dont talk and some dont walk and that they are all different, but she will be encouraged to know that others have gone through this xx

No direct experience but a foodie friend of mine - the type who likes to pop round with jam made from his allotment, blah blah blah - existed solely on dairylea triangles for a year when he was 2.

This too shall pass....

When I ask my mum (a mother of six) for advice if one of my two are having a 'not eating' phase, she just says, "just give him/her what they want...........!" as one of my brothers ate rice pudding only mainly for the firs 6 years (no family meals accepted) & the other had a LOT of jam sandwiches. They are both 6 feet + strong men now & all of us LOVE our food so kids can go through phases but if the parent remains calm & positive, they come through in the end :)