St Francis Road - nice?

Zappa

Hi there. First post. I'm thinking of moving to the area, and was wondering if anyone lived on (or near) St Francis Road. Looks really nice - nice houses, near Sainsbury's, near ED station, etc.

Is it a 'decent' road (subjective I know) - is it relatively quiet, etc? I also notice there's a big estate opposite - looks completely fine to me (quite nice blocks), but just wanted to check there isn't too much trouble, as I know you do get the odd problem estate.

Also, just general advice on nearby shops, parking, etc welcome. :)

Cheers!

Look for bars on the windows and metal barriers in front of the doors of the houses. Also look for barbed wire on top of the fences at the rear and for graffiti. If you have a car you could also check on the density of the parking.

Thanks Loz, appreciate your response. So sounds as if my first impressions of the road (and nearby roads) is correct - a nice spot. Any other hints/tips appreciated. Trying to get as much info about the area as poss before taking the plunge!

Zappa:

Sainburys: five min walk

ED Station: five minute walk

Denmark Hill: ten minute walk

Buses: 40, 176, 185, 484, P13. With the 37 (to Brixton/Clapham) stop about 8-10 mins walk away.

Nice (and cheap!) gym in the Dulwich Hamlets FC.

Short walk to Lordship Lane.

Short walk to Bellenden Road area.

Good fish and chippie, Dominos nearby.

Really, the St Francis Estate (Abbotswood/Talbot/Shaw/Burrow ) is lovely. All the houses are modern, about 15 years old and good value for ED. You'll pay a bit more to live on St Francis Road itself, but the houses are of older stock.

Zappa - I recently lived on this road (I moved house but not because of the road). It is a nice road, amazing distance to the station. It's not hugely neigbourly in comparison to other East Dulwich streets but everyone seemed nice, just not too chatty! The only negative I could give you is that as there is some kind of residential studenty place in Abbotswood Road there were often loud drunkards ambling down the road in the early morning. That said they were totally harmless and the road is super quiet the rest of the time. Nice housing stock at the Grove vale end of the road too.

• 1 month later...
  • 12 years later...

Hello everyone. Reviving this thread to get some current feedback on St Francis Road. My wife and I are considering moving into the area and were curious about the safety and overall atmosphere of the block. Thank you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

We lived there for 5 years and mostly loved it. Great location, very handy for trains/shops. Cheaper prices than period property ED. 

The only downsides for us were some of the street muggings as mentioned above, but these sadly happen all over East Dulwich (especially around Lordship Lane/the station) so I don't think it's anything unique to St Francis Road.

I just wouldn't have my phone out walking around most parts of London anyway.