Mini micro scooter advice please

We have reached the scooter milestone and so am now wondering whether it is better to pay a bit extra for a new Mini Micro as I anticipate that it will be well used and abused, or do these things last very well? There seems to be a roaring trade in second hand ones on eBay. Also, does anyone happen to know which helmets get the best safety ratings for children's scooters? Thank you very much in advance.

my mum has just bought our daughter a mini-micro, and when I was researching on the John Lewis website, a lot of people seemed to have bought the mini-micro as their second scooter, as their first, cheaper one, hadn't lasted, so it does seem worth spending the money. She hasn't been out on it yet so haven't got a helmet yet, hopefully someone will be able to help with that one.

We just bought our daughter one for her second birthday - our eldest likewise got one for her second b'day and she's 4.5 now, and gives hers a daily pounding.

So yes they last really well - only thing I would say though is mark yours so it's easily identifiable. ED is scooter capital of south london :)

Oh, and the other thing... my OH (who I believe knows a lot more than me on this topic) says that the two wheels at the front, one at the back is the safest/ sturdiest option for turning and general not falling off. Don't know if he's right or not but he took yonks researching scooters before we got our first.

Happy hunting!

Both of my kids have had these scooters for about 2 years and they are still going strong. I would however recommend getting the Maxxi version if possible - more expensive but lasts much longer and the handle can adjust down to the Micro size if your little one is not too tall. I suspect my younger son will soon be pestereing me for the Maxxi version as he regularily uses his brothers and in hindsight I should have bought him that one from the start.

I have friends whose 2 year old use the Maxxi so may be an idea to check it out and may avoid you a second purchase in a year or so.

I was going to post what millie42 said. My eldest went from a micro to a maxi & her little sister inherited the micro but she's equally happy on the Maxi with the handle lowered. It's a stronger scooter (I can use it too - fun on way back from the school run!) & overall better value for money as it will last then even into double figures where as micro is outgrown by 6/7 easily.

MichelleT, interesting to hear that your LO is using the micro at 18 months. I've just been looking at options for my daughter who is coming up to 16 months and have seen that they now do an 'O bar' and seat that attaches to the scooter, making it easier for the littlies to use it from 1 yo. But maybe I don't need that bit at all?

Here's what it is: Microscooter for 1yr+

ladywotlunches Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> MichelleT, interesting to hear that your LO is

> using the micro at 18 months. I've just been

> looking at options for my daughter who is coming

> up to 16 months and have seen that they now do an

> 'O bar' and seat that attaches to the scooter,

> making it easier for the littlies to use it from 1

> yo. But maybe I don't need that bit at all?

>

> Here's what it is: Microscooter for 1yr+

My daughter had one from very young, around 15/16

Months I think. She started playing on the big children's scooterscandcwas infatuated by them, hence letting her use hers much earlier than anticipated. It's a bit slow at first but they get the hang of it really quickly. I found she was really good indoors but the last bit to master was steering. She is 23 months now and goes pretty fast, although not so keen uphill I've noticed!

We bought the micro scooter with seat and to be honest am not that impressed. It's quite flimsy and not very stable. Miss JB seems to prefer using it like a proper scooter. She's quite short so maybe the obar attachment may come in useful for a while but i think the t bar is probably easier for little hands to hold. Having seen a friend's 18 month old whizz around on the standard version I think this was a bit of an unnecessary buy.

Ladywotlunches - you're very welcome to come and have a look.

Thanks for the offer Jollybaby. I actually went ahead and ordered one from John Lewis online yesterday. They don't do it in store yet, and I thought I can just take a look and if it doesn't seem to be that useful just send it back and get a normal micro.

Will keep you all updated when it arrives!

So the micro with seat has arrived Chez lunches! My daughter loves it and is scooting all over the house. We haven't been outside yet - that will be a plan for the weekend if it stays sunny.

I think the seat is pretty sturdy, but like Jollybaby says, its not as stable as a ride on as perhaps some of the purpose built 4-wheelers are. But I'm hoping she will build her balance up on it!

Michelle, my almost 16 month old does this too - he is obsessed. At the moment it's all about "cooter, cooter!" so sweet :)

MichelleT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ladywotlunches, at the moment he pushes the

> scooter along by the handle :) but I don't think

> it will be long before he is scooting as he and

> his nannyshare buddy have one each.