Gala Festival in Peckham Rye Park - new licence application for the next three years

kiera

Still no response...

Objections to the festival can be made up to and including 24th December by emailing the licensing committee at [email protected]. You must include your name, full address and email. The reference number is: 865977. Objections are supposed to be confined to the 4 categories set out in EDWill's post of 14th December but it is important that the committee is aware of the strength of opposition (or, indeed, support) so put in your own words how you feel about the festival in terms of the noise, increased traffic etc.

Following the Southwark Park shambles, the council is reviewing which parks are suitable for which events. Residents can have their say by emailing [email protected].

Southwark's ability to grant the in-principle decision without consulting residents first derives from its document "Commercial Event Hire - Revised processes and responsibilities flowchart" (drawn up by the Events Team), a copy of which I have attached. You will see that only after the application is signed off is there a briefing of ward councillors and Friends' groups. Finally, when it is too late, residents are given an opportunity to put forward their views

Whether you support or oppose these events, it is extraordinary that we, the residents, are excluded from any input until after the substantive decision is made. If you wish to comment on this state of affairs, please feel free to email Rebecca Lury.

Sorry, I've been very busy. I contacted a member of the Events Team but he hasn't got back to me yet and the Council offices are now closed until the new year. I found this on the Southwark Website:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/events-culture-and-heritage/planning-an-event/major-commercial-events/stakeholder-engagement?chapter=2

The License application is for the alcohol license and considers the license application in relation to the four licensing objectives as stated by EDWill above

For applications under the Licensing Act 2003, your representation must be based on one of the four licensing objectives, under the Act:

prevention of crime and disorder

prevention of public nuisance

public safety

protection of children from harm

Renata

Renata, thank you for your reply though you do seem to be restating what is already known.

Of greater interest would be whether you support the 'closed' process as described above, where use of much valued public land is essentially determined without public consent. Is hiring out the park for private profit now part of Labour's vision for the borough?

Just to add, this event should be on the Commn, not in one of the prettiest parts of the park, where we have already seen damage not yet righted. Control of noise is then a problem for the organisers and S'wark Events to solve. As others have said, these large scale events are almost always mounted on the Common and this event shoild also be mounted there.

About an area 25m wide by max 65m.

Or about 0.005% of the total park area.

Renata any news about which bands are booked for next year yet?

And are we still going to be limited to one measly festival on one weekend of the year? Something needs to be done by Southwark council about the lack of music opportunities - Afrobeat is the big opportunity I think!

Ref first mate's most recent post,

Cllr Hamvas

Any news on whether the festival can be held on the Common rather than the Park? It seems nonsensical to many people that the festival is being held on the most wildlife-rich area of Peckham Rye and on ground which has not fully recovered from the last festival.

Also is there a date for the licensing hearing?

Are there any further consultation events planned? If so, when and where? Future consultation events must be chaired by the Council and not by the GALA organisers and must be held in a venue easy to reach and locate. It would be better to hold a consultation event at a venue close to the East Dulwich side of the park. I have been told that some potential attendees to the last event on 10 December were too put off by the Peckham venue, reachable only down dark alleyways at night.

We would be grateful for a swift response on these points.

Thank you

Cllr Hamvas, Also further to my previous post just now, the Southwark web site on Commercial Events on Peckham Rye Common makes it clear that it is the large open Common on the north side that is suitable for major events and not the Park The Park is outside the boundary on the map. See page: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/events-culture-and-heritage/planning-an-event/major-commercial-events/locations-for-major-events/peckham-rye-common