Ask Admin

lordshiplanevets

I tend to agree, but wonder whether there is a time to ask whether such a strong community service couldn't step beyond the confines of a bulletin board whilst retaining its grace independent of facebook or google circles?

The supposed equality, uniformity and consistency of facebook makes it a bland and impersonal platform for a local focus - the very thing that gives the EDF its strength is the opportunity for local colour and personality to shine through (rather than safe corporate blue).

There remains a weakness underlying the main players from stronger community sites based on 'bubble' strategies - a pervasive global community based a matrix of interlocked and vigorously independent 'bubbles' - each with their own creative and linguistic flair, but interlocking technologies allowing them to interact.

I would never like to see a 'like' or a '+1' in the EDF in this context: it misses the point.

However, I think we need to compromise to allow people from their various local backyard/manors to share local content that through its creativity or insight deserves to rise over and above the local resource to share with a greater audience.

Likewise I think it's a missed opportunity for people or local shops with more to say to have a bigger 'shop window' to communicate their proposition - be it a blog or a retail arena.

But I'd like to see such a solution remain 'local' - and I think there's the funding to deliver it. Likewise there's an automated capability to roll the more popular content up into a 'best of' national scrap book.

It simply needs a little creative thinking and a bit less defensiveness.

I'm sure you've got the skill for that EP, and you'll soon be lost in the back of nowhere! ;-)

Perhaps the phrasing of my 'Like' button question above was a little simplistic.

I agree with most of the points El Pibe makes. My thinking was along the lines of having a button (with a counter but not an identifier) which forumites could use to register their agreement with another posters opinion in a post without having to write a whole paragraph explaining why.

Sounds a bit lazy, but often we read a thread where there are discussions with quite polarised views and it would be interesting to see how much support there was for either side ie by 'Liking' a post. Could add another dimension.

I'm not suggesting that we turn the EDF into a more polished advertising vehicle. Currently the sponsorship and the ability to post links and recommend (or dis) local business seems to work just fine.

Thanks for listening.