CPZ: Proposed Controlled Parking 'West Peckham' (north East Dulwich?

Well, as my admittedly tongue-in-cheek-but-still-valid suggestion got moved to The Lounge in amongst the chat about Word puzzles and the like, I thought I'd paste it again here. It's just a thought....

It seems that the big problem with the CPZs issue is that no one has a clue how things will turn out if they are implemented. Residents off LSL want greater certainty that parking in their own street will be easier, rather than more difficult. Others would like to know whether we can still easily stop off at the butcher's on the way to do the weekly big shop, with similar considerations for the retailers along LSL. Where will the free parking be? Where will the paid bays be? What will the CPZ hours be, etc.? Will total parking decrease significantly?

So wouldn't it be sensible for the Council to publish a proposal for the final CPZ before residents get a say on it? If (say) two thirds of respondents oppose it, then it's completely abandoned. If two thirds support, then it's approved. And between those figures, the deal could be negotiated with some alternative arrangements?

It would be a bit like a... I don't know... People's Vote? If the Council committed to respect the outcome of the vote, it would be difficult to argue about the outcome. I don't think anyone really knows whether ED supports a CPZ in general or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I?m expecting this won?t go down well, but I don?t think a CPZ is all wrong. Not all right either.

The CPZ may seem unwelcome but I think the Council is trying to resolve problems they can foresee. There were 4 consultations we responded to before zone Q was introduced and parking in the area had noticeably increased between the last two consultations.

Although referred to as a CPZ, CPZ Q has both bays and yellow lines (Pytchley Road) and permitted parking areas (PPAs) (St Francis Road). So Southwark do put in both.

I don?t know how it?s decided when a CPZ with lines and bays goes in and when a PPA goes in but from what I?ve seen PPA?s are in areas where there isn?t parking on both sides / no through roads and CPZs on roads with parking on both sides. I first experienced a PPA, though not sure we knew it as such, in the 1970?s when permits were introduced to the road my grandfather lived in near Anfield football ground where Liverpool play. I?ve lived in London for over 30 years now and CPZs outnumber permitted parking areas. It would be great if we could park anywhere but there are too many cars and enough people who will park where they want regardless of the impact on others.

Yesterday walking to Sainsburys I saw a car parked on the pavement on double yellow lines alongside the park on Abbotswood Road - there is only a pavement on one side of the road, someone walking with a stick might just have got through, a small buggy would probably have got through but the greenery from the park would have pushed into the buggy, someone using the wheels to propel their wheelchair would have scratched their hands at the least or needed to leave the pavement at the top of the road and go along the road to the next dropped kerb. Later we drove to West London and saw 3 cars double parked and another pulled up to double park in front of us meaning we had to drive on the wrong side of the road to pass.

A CPZ won?t solve all problems or work for all but unless supply and demand for parking changes and the supply is greater than the demand it needs to be managed. PPAs work in some places, CPZs in others. Southwark have reduced yellow lines and increased parking bays following consultation on all the CPZs around East Dulwich and reviews are carried out once a zone has been operating a while so if changes are made requests can be made during the review. You can also always write to the Council / Councillor any time.

I?ve also just seen that rail fares are to increase in January which I?d forgotten so that might make people drive to East Dulwich to pay for zones 1 & 2 rather than 1, 2 & 3. A CPZ will restrict parking to those who have permits otherwise anyone can park. In the overall costs of running a car the permit cost is minimal - tax / tank of petrol / insurance?

• 1 month later...

Peckham West CPZ is starting on Monday 30 March - hope the one around ED station starts on same date to make things simpler. Some marks have already started appearing on the roads, look out for parking suspension signs otherwise your vehicle may need to be moved to enable line painting.

Get your permits here: https://www.southwark.gov.uk/parking/parking-permits/on-street-permits

At least they're virtual these days so don't need to wait for them in the post. On street pay by phone parking will be ?2.75/hour or ?3.25/hour for diesel but that will rise to ?4/hour from 1 April, so make the most of those last two days of March!

This is so long overdue, can't believe how the streets have become so filled with vehicles over the last decade. This CPZ should have gone in the same time as the Champion Hill CPZ, was always obvious there would be huge displacement.

rollflick Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Peckham West CPZ is starting on Monday 30 March -

> hope the one around ED station starts on same date

> to make things simpler. Some marks have already

> started appearing on the roads, look out for

> parking suspension signs otherwise your vehicle

> may need to be moved to enable line painting.

>

> Get your permits here:

> https://www.southwark.gov.uk/parking/parking-permi

> ts/on-street-permits

> At least they're virtual these days so don't need

> to wait for them in the post. On street pay by

> phone parking will be ?2.75/hour or ?3.25/hour for

> diesel but that will rise to ?4/hour from 1 April,

> so make the most of those last two days of March!

>

> This is so long overdue, can't believe how the

> streets have been filled with vehicles in last

> decade. This CPZ should have gone in the same time

> as the Champion Hill CPZ, was always obvious there

> would be huge displacement.

Next to my house there is a dropped kerb. Mysteriously they have painted the white dashed lines right up to one edge of it but have left the 2m (or however much it is) on the other side for double yellows. The propspective 2m of double yellows are directly outside my house where I'd quite like to park :D I don't want to ask them to remove them in case they instead decide to add double yellows to the other side also, thereby nicking another parking space!

Hopefully it stops all the tightwads in zone Q from leaving their car in my street now :)