CPZ: Proposed Controlled Parking 'West Peckham' (north East Dulwich?

Since the introduction of the DKH CPZ parking has become a real issue at the Grove Vale end of Oglander and Copleston. Whilst I would have preferred no CPZ anywhere in the area, once it starts the problems increase as adjacent roads fill up with displaced commuters (and people who rarely use their cars and so are happy to park them several streets away in non-CPZ spaces). I find parking near my home very stressful as I often have to drive around the block a couple of times to find somewhere, and I fear that if the Lordship Lane CPZ comes in, the West Peckham area will become even less tolerable. What is more, if the closest streets to you are in a CPZ which you are not part of, you are really stuck, which I fear will happen here. Unlike some who say the parking issue is evenings, our street empties out between 6pm and 7pm and is full of spaces at the weekend, so this is a commuter problem. And I don't mind helping out a cash-strapped council which has been unable to increase council tax to fund essential services gaining a few extra pounds in the coffers through CPZs.

Soylent Green Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Since the introduction of the DKH CPZ parking has

> become a real issue at the Grove Vale end of

> Oglander and Copleston. Whilst I would have

> preferred no CPZ anywhere in the area, once it

> starts the problems increase as adjacent roads

> fill up with displaced commuters (and people who

> rarely use their cars and so are happy to park

> them several streets away in non-CPZ spaces). I

> find parking near my home very stressful as I

> often have to drive around the block a couple of

> times to find somewhere, and I fear that if the

> Lordship Lane CPZ comes in, the West Peckham area

> will become even less tolerable. What is more, if

> the closest streets to you are in a CPZ which you

> are not part of, you are really stuck, which I

> fear will happen here. Unlike some who say the

> parking issue is evenings, our street empties out

> between 6pm and 7pm and is full of spaces at the

> weekend, so this is a commuter problem. And I

> don't mind helping out a cash-strapped council

> which has been unable to increase council tax to

> fund essential services gaining a few extra pounds

> in the coffers through CPZs.

Hi Soylent Green - I live in Nutbrook St which has the street filled with cars day and evenings and night. There is a slight easing on Sats/Suns but not much. It seems (from driving round looking for a parking place) the same in the streets closest to here which are Waghorn and Maxted. I have heard through posts on this forum that Amott and Gowlett are similarly afflicted. Can you say which street you are so we can see if that throws light on the distribution of these parking issues?

Hi Soylent Green,

Southwark Council can and has increased Council Tax.

FY 18/19 up by 4.99% for example and also 4.99% in FY17/18, 2% FY16/17, o% from FY06/07 Under Lib Dems to FY15/16 under Labour.

Equally anyone can pay more than their Council Tax or donate to local causes which have seen a reduction in income. Potentially more tax efficient if a charity than paying via Southwark Council.

Parking

Any CPZ tends to see non resident vehicles parked up for days, weeks, months removed. On some roads this can make a material difference.

Did anyone go to the drop-in at Goose Green this evening about the proposed CPZ in 'Peckham West' (otherwise known to many as 'Bellenden')? It would be good to hear what issues and info came up at the drop-in.

One matter at the time I was there (near the end) was that everyone there wanted to have the deadline for comments extended to the same date as the extended deadline for the East Dulwich consultation (date to be publicised but towards end February). This was because some were just finding out about it and needed time to contact their neighbours and have conversations and discussions to swap info and ideas.

Does anyone share that view? If so it would be good to email that in to the councillors with ward and policy responsibilities:

Car Parking Cabinet member - [email protected],

Rye Lane ward - [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],

Dulwich Community Council- [email protected]

Goose Green ward - [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

The deadline for comments on this CPZ in the Bellenden area (called by the Council for this consultation ?West Peckham?) is this week Thursday 7th February. https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/environment-leisure/peckhamwestparking/ It?s important to get your views in on the principle and the details.

Some issues which have been coming up:

* Should there be a CPZ at all here in the Bellenden area?

* If so, just for a couple of hours to prevent all day parking?

* Allocation of paid and permit bays ? look at the maps for your streets.

* Will a CPZ free up parking in the evenings for the streets that are full then?

* What will be effect on parking for your visitors?

* What will be the effect on the shops and cafes on East Dulwich Road between Gowlett Rd and Goose Green of more than half reduction in parking spaces on both north and south sides of the road?

Thanks admin for unblocking this thread.

I am glad this thread has been reopened since yesterday/today have demonstrated the stark differences that have arisen between weekends and weekdays on Copleston/Danby/Avondale sinch th eDog Kennel Hill zone came in. Parking dead easy yesterday (apart from just around lunchtime with both churches full so that's to be expected). Today I had a terminal bike failure on the way to work so my wife came to pick me up in the car, 10 mins later she went round the avondale/copleston/danby block 3 times until she could find a spot.

This is clearly either commuters, or DKH CPZ residents who don't wish to pay for their own zone. Either way it is a bit silly. It's not the lack of parking per se (We cycle every day and could prob manage without the car really) but rather the fact that non-residents are using the facilities (and importing the pollution) whereas we cannot.

My wife and I have both filled inthe consultation and said that unfortunately we will have to say Yes to the CPZ to address the above issues.

In addition we have both said No to the 'parklets'. I work in Hammersmith where they have some setup in a business/high street area and they get so little use even in that context that I can't see that they will offer anything in our area.

Hi micromacromonkey

Thanks for contributing. A problem is that the situation varies between streets. I am in Nutbrook several streets from yours and we aren't affected by commuter parking from the East Dulwich or DKH areas. We do have our issues but I don't think they are commuter parking, especially as it is often as bad throughout the evening and overnight.

Did you go for the two hour slot CPZ? i am wondering if that is the best solution as it reduces I assume the problem for visitors of all sorts especially care giving visitors. And streets without commuter parking issues don't lose the free parking at other times. If we do have it imposed on us in my street it will be interesting to see if affects the evening and night parking. I'd really like to have your views on the timing of the CPZ in the Bellenden area.

micromacromonkey Wrote:

> I am glad this thread has been reopened since

> yesterday/today have demonstrated the stark

> differences that have arisen between weekends and

> weekdays on Copleston/Danby/Avondale sinch th eDog

> Kennel Hill zone came in. Parking dead easy

> yesterday (apart from just around lunchtime with

> both churches full so that's to be expected).

> Today I had a terminal bike failure on the way to

> work so my wife came to pick me up in the car, 10

> mins later she went round the

> avondale/copleston/danby block 3 times until she

> could find a spot.

>

> This is clearly either commuters, or DKH CPZ

> residents who don't wish to pay for their own

> zone. Either way it is a bit silly. It's not the

> lack of parking per se (We cycle every day and

> could prob manage without the car really) but

> rather the fact that non-residents are using the

> facilities (and importing the pollution) whereas

> we cannot.

>

> My wife and I have both filled inthe consultation

> and said that unfortunately we will have to say

> Yes to the CPZ to address the above issues.

>

> In addition we have both said No to the

> 'parklets'. I work in Hammersmith where they have

> some setup in a business/high street area and they

> get so little use even in that context that I

> can't see that they will offer anything in our

> area.

Hi Eileen, yes I put the 2 hour option. I think that is the option that minimises all the bad things about the CPZ.

We moved from Amott about 6 month ago, rarely had trouble parking there. We were there for 8 years and it did get worse over that time though, but it was rarely more than just a short walk up amott or gowlett; never any further.

I think you will find that if your street was not included in the CPZ and most others were then you would have so much displacement that you'd never be able to park. As previously stated I don't like the idea of it in general, and if you'd asked me before the implementation of zone Q (DKH) I would have said no to our own one. However even if we somehow got Copleston added to zone Q, then the next street along would want adding, then the one next to that etc due to displacement.

Eileen Wrote:

> Hi micromacromonkey

>

> Thanks for contributing. A problem is that the

> situation varies between streets. I am in Nutbrook

> several streets from yours and we aren't affected

> by commuter parking from the East Dulwich or DKH

> areas. We do have our issues but I don't think

> they are commuter parking, especially as it is

> often as bad throughout the evening and

> overnight.

>

> Did you go for the two hour slot CPZ? i am

> wondering if that is the best solution as it

> reduces I assume the problem for visitors of all

> sorts especially care giving visitors. And streets

> without commuter parking issues don't lose the

> free parking at other times. If we do have it

> imposed on us in my street it will be interesting

> to see if affects the evening and night parking.

> I'd really like to have your views on the timing

> of the CPZ in the Bellenden area.

Micromacromonkey and others who have filled in more than one questionnaire for a household you might want to check you are happy for either to be counted / discounted. Makes no sense to me but the various threads prompted me to look at the report for the DKH zone and it reads as if they only considered one response from each household

I think you will find that if your street was not included in the CPZ and most others were then you would have so much displacement that you'd never be able to park.

This is saying - 'pass on distress to others - you've had your house broken into, now vote for someone elses to be broken into as well.' Somebody has to stop this rot - if we keep passing it on then the bullies win. All they want is our money, and if we can help them to get others to vote to get others robbed, then all to the better. No. The domino effect is what 'they' are banking on. If we are complicit in this, then we should be ashamed.

If this was actual criminality then I would agree with you. It's hardly larceny on the part of the council though, they don't make much if any money out of these by all accounts. I'm not a fan of CPZ but, extending your analogy, since the end of Dec my house is getting broken into every day and that is surely not fair or reasonable. If your stand against the council extends to revoking all current CPZs then I'd be behind it, but don't wish to be a martyr for the cause.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> I think you will find that if your street was not

> included in the CPZ and most others were then you

> would have so much displacement that you'd never

> be able to park.

>

> This is saying - 'pass on distress to others -

> you've had your house broken into, now vote for

> someone elses to be broken into as well.' Somebody

> has to stop this rot - if we keep passing it on

> then the bullies win. All they want is our money,

> and if we can help them to get others to vote to

> get others robbed, then all to the better. No. The

> domino effect is what 'they' are banking on. If we

> are complicit in this, then we should be ashamed.

Yes I did wonder what would happen. We filled it in independently but turns out we both chose the same options! I don't suppose it matters in that case.

AylwardS Wrote:

> Micromacromonkey and others who have filled in

> more than one questionnaire for a household you

> might want to check you are happy for either to be

> counted / discounted. Makes no sense to me but the

> various threads prompted me to look at the report

> for the DKH zone and it reads as if they only

> considered one response from each household

I live on Danby Street and am reluctantly supporting the new CPZ.

For the last 6 months or so it?s been almost impossible to get a car parking space on weekdays. Some residents now leave their bins and cones to ?claim? spaces, which drives other residents crazy. I had a nasty experience a few weeks back where I needed to load my car up and was waiting for a car parking spot near my house for 30 mins. When one didn?t emerge, I had to double park for 5 mins to load it up. I left enough space for cars to get past but sadly a lorry came up the road. I explained that I?d be as quick as I could, but it ended with him and his colleague threatening me and my son with violence, and recording us with one their mobile phones while the other one swore at us. It was horrible.

It?s just a shame that it?s come to this. We have a good community feel on our street. But the stress of parking is eroding that, and I want it to end now.

My neighbour?s have buildresin at the moment and they are ?reserving? a large parking space using bins 24/7. The builders? van onlyturns up for about 10 minutes in the morning, briefly at lunchtime and for about 15 minutes at home time. Today, the van didn?t park in the ?reserved? space and occupied the only available space. That did make me cross.

We just put a few hours in the middle of the day, to try and stem the worst of it.

I wrote an email to the council a while ago, before the consultation started, about our street?s parking problems. Today someone called me to discuss. They were very friendly, and it was a very informative call.

One thing was clear from the call: the Council have had a lot of heated objections from both sides of the argument; both pro and against the new CPZ.

When they make their final decision there are going to be a lot of unhappy people - whatever the result.

It seems to be the norm these days, Best thing to do is move them if and when you need to park They have no legal right to do this.

Singalto Wrote:

> My neighbour?s have buildresin at the moment and

> they are ?reserving? a large parking space using

> bins 24/7. The builders? van onlyturns up for

> about 10 minutes in the morning, briefly at

> lunchtime and for about 15 minutes at home time.

> Today, the van didn?t park in the ?reserved? space

> and occupied the only available space. That did

> make me cross.