Absent seizures - advice please

Hi

Our little girl who is 5 years old has just been diagnosed with absent seizures (Petit Mal)> We have been told that we can medicate using Sodium Valproate but the side effects of this drug are just too scary. I know that there are risks with all medications but am finding it hard to contemplate medicating with such strong drugs. Has anyone else been in this situation or can anyone offer any advice please.

Regards

Catherine

Hi catherine, epilepsy can leave children, my daughter had grande mal fits from 18months and they stopped when she was around 6, I did not use the medication as I had similar concerns. Is there any warning before the absences your daughter recognises. I know how difficult it can be to go against the doctors advice, but I felt it was important she understood what was happening. How regular is the absences and how long has she been having them? E dealer It must have been terrible for your sister growing up with no one recognising what was wrong, i hope the medication has turned things round for her.

Hi

Thanks for all your posts. Have been doing a lot of reading and there are lots of discussions and reports on deficiencies in Omega 3 and Magnesium being related to seizures. My little girl has about 5 or 6 a day lasting for just a few seconds, more frequently when very tired. People think she is daydreaming or not paying attention. At the moment we too hope she grows out of it which apparently many children do. If she was having Grand Mal seizures or developed fits then we would certainly reassess. Thanks it helps to know someone else has had such a dilemma.