Call yourself a christian or are you a christian?

ad1989

To the OP....I've always wondered why God needed to write down on paper his 'word'...why not just beam it straight into our heads, or have it pre-programmed into our psyche....but in anycase, you've obvioulsy not read the bible enought to know where the true immorality lies...

As you'll see in this link, there are countless references in the bible decrying eating prawns and shellfish as a sin

https://www.openbible.info/topics/eating_shrimp

SO let the gays be gay, its the people dining down at Moxons this weekend who are the true sinners.....

The Bible is opening to misinterpretation, as are other religious texts. They can be used to validate behaviours / ideas that are far from intended.

There are some amzing Christian charities which operate the world over, Christian Aid supports communities regardless of their own religion.

We also have the Salvation Army.

So before you condemn it, look at the bigger picture.

Nearly all religions can be blamed for war - some followers make good of their beliefs and this should never be diminished - WHETHER YOU AGREE OR NOT.

DO you - individually - do more to help other people?

Angelina Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Bible is opening to misinterpretation, as are

> other religious texts. They can be used to

> validate behaviours / ideas that are far from

> intended.

The thing is, the Bible isn't open to misinterpretation, it clearly says in the Old Testament that homosexuality is an abomination that must be punished by death. So, if Christians believe the Bible is the word of God, they surely must follow that literally. If they're repelled by that idea and choose not to follow it, then they create a pick and mix version that clearly shows the whole business up for the nonsense it is.

No. far from it.

There are many other religions in this category - it should not only be Christianity that is pulled to pieces.

I am saying that under the name of religion, there are people who do great deeds of good.

Just as there are people who use religion to permit their nasty views.

So, be balanced. Bit much to expect maybe? I know this forum when there's something to jump on.

Angelina Wrote:

>

>

> I am saying that under the name of religion, there

> are people who do great deeds of good.

> Just as there are people who use religion to

> permit their nasty views.

Thats more than fair..if you do good deeds and want to cite religion as your reason, then good for you. But I think what many people are saying is that aggregating it all up over the history of people on this planet, many would argue that things being done in the name of 'religion' are clearly a net negative contributor on the good/bad deeds scale....

rendelharris Wrote:

> Angelina Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The Bible is opening to misinterpretation, as

> are

> > other religious texts. They can be used to

> > validate behaviours / ideas that are far from

> > intended.

>

> The thing is, the Bible isn't open to

> misinterpretation, it clearly says in the Old

> Testament that homosexuality is an abomination

> that must be punished by death. So, if Christians

> believe the Bible is the word of God, they surely

> must follow that literally. If they're repelled

> by that idea and choose not to follow it, then

> they create a pick and mix version that clearly

> shows the whole business up for the nonsense it

> is.

Is this one of the bits translated in the King James version though (translated using the prejudices of those days) - I read somewhere that in the original text it's never clear that homosexuality is being talked about at all.

Not that I'm going into a damocene conversion LOL,

Angelina Wrote:

> it should not only be Christianity that is pulled to pieces.

You're right that Christianity has become a soft target. Personally I'm more than happy to pull Islam and Judaism to pieces too, but risk being labelled a bigot by doing do, so will refrain for the time being. They all have similar problems to varying degrees.

> I am saying that under the name of religion, there

> are people who do great deeds of good.

You mention the salvation army, but that's hardly a great example. They seem to exist primarily to promote Christianity, and they have disgusting views towards gay people (including only recently supporting "conversion therapy").

This is the problem when Charity results from the "carrot-and-stick" of religion. Trying to please your imaginary friend in the sky (and his bonkers book) is a very questionable motive, and doesn't always translate into objectively "good" deeds.

I actually mentioned two - it's not balanced to only pick one to criticise.

The SA actually do a lot of good work - they're well known for feeding the homeless and they don't discriminate in doing so.

They also employ people from other faiths, so where exactly are you going with running them down?

A thing that annoys me is when a person prays for rescue in some terrible disaster, and are then rescued,it's supposedly because they prayed.

What about all the other people who presumably were praying, but didn't get rescued?

ETA: I agree the Sally Army do a lot of good work.

And a lot of hymn tunes are brilliant!

Angelina Wrote:

> I actually mentioned two - it's not balanced to

> only pick one to criticise.

It's called a counter-example. Was not supposed to be indicative of all Christian charities. Just an illustration of the problems that can occur when morality and religion get confused.