Brown bin collection - Council starting to charge?

• 2 weeks later...
What a joke. 17 days since I enquired with Southwark council about my missing garden bags (from my NOVEMBER order) and no response. Will try emailing but not hopeful given the experience of others above. Has anyone had any joy getting this system to work?

It is an absolute joke. I also signed up in July last year. No bin and no sticker arrived. After several phone calls I got nowhere so I emailed both [email protected], [email protected] and cc'd in the Strategic Director of Environment and Leisure - [email protected]. Another name you might want to add to any emails is Scott Fergusson - Waste Contract Performance Manager at Southwark Council. By raising an official complaint you will get your name in the system. Several different people emailed me and in October I was assured that my brown bin and sticker would arrive within 7 working days by a Business Support Officer with the Customer Resolutions Team. Guess what? I got not one but two brown bins and no sticker. Just when I was about to raise another complaint, my tenant finally reported that the sticker had arrived this week with a letter instructing to put it on your bin from 1 June 2019!! I just thought I'd have a quick check on EDF before I email again to request a refund for the six months without a garden waste service and I have the ammunition needed! I'm not a ED resident anymore but bringing this up with the ED councillors or MP sounds like a good idea. I suspect the Council just outsourced the service and have no idea / no care at all if it is being run effectively. They just want the extra revenue. I just hope other Councils don't go down the same route.

Hi Jessica J. I am sorry for all the problems you have had with this, especially as I have always found the recycling service prompt and efficient. Your last line is that the council "just want the extra revenue". The cost for garden waste recycling in Southwark is much less than in many other boroughs. Also the extra revenue of course, is used for council services from which we all benefit.

• 1 month later...

I did eventually get my garden bags after lodging a complaint with Southwark.

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to pick up the bags once you arrange for a pickup? No info on the website. Wondering how long I'll have to store them for (especially with even more bad weather forecast). Thanks!