MMR single injections

T&G

Just to point out the website hello sailor lists isn't an impartial source of advice on the subject, it's a company run by a stongly anti-MMR (and anti cervical cancer vacine) GP who charges 390pounds if you want a consulatation and 2 of the single jabs (mumps not available at the moment, but presumably another 120 for that going on his price list)

T&G - sorry off topic, jsut some of the wording on that website annoyed me! Entirely up to you if you want to do single vaccines, my daughter had MMR so I can't suggest anyone I'm afriad

We started going down the seperate vaccination but then couldn't get the final single one. Company manufacturing them went bust from memory.

This meant rather than not be fully vacinnated we had to go with MMR.

In hindsight we shouldn't have gone singularly - but we thought it was the best decision for us at the time several years ago. The oroignal MMR vaccinations used from memory Mercury for preservative effect but the current MMR doesn't.

If you are going singularly do ensure you can get all three and that it's a substantial supplier who wont suddenly go bust or choose other work.

Kes I wasn't saying anyone should necessarily subscribe to the opinions on the website about whether vaccinations should be separated, just that it was a link to a clinic who provide the jabs separately, and was a website suggested to us by our GP who has advised us we might want to look into separating the jabs for various reasons.

As The OP says, it's quite hard to go about looking into where you might go for separate jabs with nothing to go on, and as this was a site suggested to us by our GP I have posted it in response to the OP's request for any info on places it is possible to have separate jabs. I re-iterate, I'm not suggesting that the opinions on the site about the negatives of multi jabs or the pros of separating the jabs have any veracity or not, just that if someone has made up their own mind to have their child's MMR jabs separated, this is a website I have been directed to as a potential venue to get the jabs done. I have no experience of the clinic and would not claim to vouch for it in any way.

We have only started looking into this as it has been suggested to us as possibly the best way forward in the case of our particular child and particular circumstances, but I would say, Kes, that if you can find a site with 'impartial advice' I'd be fascinated to see it - cos from what I can tell from my research there is no such thing! Frankly finding the whole thing a minefield. And deffo don't want to get into a debate about it!

We went to babyjabs and found them to extremely professional and gave very balanced advice. The nurse who does the jabs is also fantastic, quick and our baby hardly noticed a thing. We had scheduled to do some of the jabs at our GP surgery as part of the schedule that babyjabs worked out for us but ended up actually paying to go private for all subsequent jabs after our first one with the GP just to avoid having to subject our girl to that awful experience again.

You don't have to have a consultation with a dr if you don't want to just for the single jabs but we found it very useful to discuss the pros and cons and different options in detail, in light of our circumstances, with a Dr rather than just accepting the NHS schedule, which by the way is very different (a lot more, a lot earlier) to many other European countries.

I'm pretty sure you have to have the triple jab if you want to vaccinate against mumps, though. Not so much of an issue for us as we had a girl.

Quite as you say Fuchsia,

Also not sure why people are giving it the ol' 'here we go again' vibe and re-posting previous threads on the MMR debate, what the OP requested was simply whether anyone had any info on clinics where they could have the jabs done separately, he / she was not asking for info or view on the whole debate surrounding the issue.

He / she is therefore not going over old ground from previous threads, and has done nothing to warrant this somewhat 'eye-rolling' response from others, but is posing a new question, simply about the whereabouts of clinics.

There appears to be an element of confusion. But actually it is really pretty simples.

Hello HS Sorry about the vibes there. It was meant to be light hearted. Guess it may have seemed slightly terse implicitly saying Oh FFS not another thread on this topic, why don't people do a search before starting a thread on a given topic. I wasn't. I think it would be good if the forum was a more parsimonious place sometimes, but I am as guilty as others and there is something rather charming abut the higgeldy piggeldy nature of it all.

As with all threads they often tend to drift into more than a simple answer to the simple question. Indeed the best ones always do otherwise they are only 2 posts long. Others will look at this as a general thread on the topic. And we now have people on here making unsupported assertions like the combined jab gives better protection. So whilst I agree the back link was not a direct answer to the OP question as interpreted most narrowly, I thought it might be useful to some.

Oh dear, that wasn't any less terse now was it.

(whatever)!!!

Afraid my eyeroll was intended. Think that the single jabs vs MMR debate should have been dead and buried long ago. Research after research says MMR is safe. You are jeopardising your child and other children in the community by not following advice and getting vaccinated. Andrew Wakefield has a lot to answer for!

The MMR is now known to be one of the safest vaccines (i.e. lowest rates of side effects), as the Andrew Wakefield controversy has caused a lot of follow-up studies. It's also very effective.

That said, if there is a *medical* reason for using single jabs, your GP can order them in to you local pharmacy by prescribing them to your child. You only have to go private if your are choosing single jabs for personal rather than medical reasons.

Also, anyone wanting impartial advice should try the practice nurse at Elm Lodge Surgery in Herne Hill. She is fantastically knowledgeable about child vaccination.

Indeed. Rather aggressive of you Taper.

The short summary is that the whole "whoooh single jabs dangerous MMR safe" might be a good way of eliciting sensible behaviour from a crowd of dumb fecks that can't read an argument and understand nuance.

However, if you can be bothered to digest the detail, then it appears that the principal downsides of the single jabs are that you have to have more jabs and you might forget so as long as you have a good memory and are responsible then you can make your own mind up.

There are good medical reasons why MMR might be contra-indicated but in this case your GP should be helpful.

Direct Health 2000 in Eltham provided sepvax for my eldest child's primary Measles, mumps and rubella about a decade ago - however we decided to give the standard MMR as a booster at 4. Our youngest child had MMR as thimerosal (mercury stabiliser) had been removed from the primary infant scheduled injections at 2, 3 and 4 months.