Nunhead Library Petition for Baby and Toddler Session!

SEGirl

Please support our petition to keep Nunhead Library open on Monday mornings for the Baby and toddler sessions 10.30am to 12 noon. It provides a great sense of community for children and parents alike.

Southwark Council announced the time changes of Nunhead library to begin on the 2nd April 2012, which would mean that it would no longer provide the community with open morning times from Monday to Thursday. What we are suggesting is that Monday would have the same hours as Friday 10-3

The children use the library regularly and often for those younger children morning times are more convenient. Its staff and the service are an invaluable asset to the families and children that live nearby. The children interact with other children in a safe and friendly environment and introduces them to the wonderful world of books at a young age.?

If you use the Nunhead Library facilities for your children or have done so in the past could you please drop into the library and sign the petition, each signature counts!!

Many thanks

Paula

Here's the blurb from the Council....

New opening hours at Nunhead library from 2 April 2012

The Council has recently undertaken a major review of the library service. The objective of the review was to secure savings of ?397,000 resulting from spending cuts imposed by central government, whilst retaining a high quality service. No Southwark libraries will be closing, but we do have to make the required spending reductions and some of the smaller libraries will have reduced opening hours from 2 April 2012.

The libraries affected by the budget reductions are Brandon, East Street, Grove Vale and Nunhead. In order to ensure maximum access to the service in these libraries, we have reviewed the times that most people use the libraries and have focused on those hours.

From 2 April 2012 the opening hours at Nunhead library will be as follows:

Monday 2pm to 7pm

Tuesday 2pm to 7pm

Wednesday 2pm to 7pm

Thursday 2pm to 7pm

Friday 10am to 3pm

Saturday 10am to 5pm

Sunday Closed

Hi there

I've been looking into this matter.

Unfortunately the council is having to reduce the library opening hours from 1 April because of all the government funding cuts. Unlike many other councils Southwark is keeping all its libraries open (this is very good news for Nunhead as at one stage it was being suggested that 3 small/medium sized libraries including Nunhead could be closed), but unfortunately to save money we are having to reduce the opening hours. I think this is still a pretty good result overall as hopefully in time finances will improve and we'll be able to increase the hours again - if it had closed I think it would have been lost forever!

The council has chosen to go with 2-7pm on most weekdays because the busiest time for Nunhead Library is after 3pm when many families visit after primary school. With regard to the baby and toddler sessions, I'm told these will continue, but are going to be rearranged for different time/day during the week. I'm waiting for confirmation of the new time.

Kind regards

Fiona

Cllr Fiona Colley

Nunhead Ward

Hi Fiona, Renata,

I proposed to library management last Summer/Autumn and Veronica Ward that they explore several areas to save sufficient back offices costs to avoid any reduction in hours but not heard back from her.

Specifically:

1. flip the Library Services seperate ?50,000+ lift maintenance contract for 5 lifts at Peckham/Canada/Dulwich libraries into the nearly 1,000 lifts Council Housing lift contract. Any half decent purchasing manager would eliminate this cost by combining the contracts.

2. ?1/2M is paid in National Non Domestic Rates (busienss rates). Officers were concerned they pay too much but getting it formally reviewed risks it coming out higher. I suggested they get Southwark NNDR officers to do an informal review and if favourable ask for a formal NNDR review. This could save another ?50,000.

3. Dispose of the old Peckham Library and ancillary ex.flat used for offices eliminating the assocaited property costs.

4. Rent out the vacant large office floor at Peckham Library bringing in ?50,000+

5. Dispose of the central library store on Wilson's Road - secrete 13th library!

As I suggested to them, further deep diving into the library budgets would without a doubt indentify even more savings.

Just got an update from the Library Teams. From the beginning of April the new times will be...

Baby and Toddlers and Baby Rhymetime Sessions

Every Monday, Baby and Toddlers Session 2pm to 3pm

Every Friday, Baby Rhymetime 11am to 11.30am

Regards

Fiona

Hi Fiona,

a baby a toddler session 2pm to 3pm is not good for many parents/carers as many children sleep at this time:-(. It would be better - if cuts have to be made - to keep the library closed on Wednesdays and stay open all day on Mondays.

Penny

Hi Fiona

As Penny said a baby toddler session from 2-3 does not work as this is often the time that little children have a nap, so I can't imagine that there will be the same amount of parent/carers and children there at this time. As for Fridays, that is mainly for older children around 5 years old and the younger children often get over looked.

There is already a very successful, well attended, group on a Monday morning so why the change, when there is a good sense of community? I understand there have been cut backs, but what is being asked is that not an increase in hours but a change from the planned 2-7 to 10-3, this is still the same amount of hours. From speaking to the library staff they seem to be in support of this.

To have the library open 4 days a week from 2-7 does not make a whole lot of sense for those who use the library with younger children. Surely this is supposed to be a place for the whole community to access?

Isn't it better to instil the love for books before the little ones go to school?

Regards

Paula

Thanks for the useful feedback. I'll raise it with the senior staff and Cabinet member and let you know what they say.

If the hours can't be changed (I'm conscious that we are v close to April now) would it make any more sense if the session that's mainly for older children was on an afternoon so the littler children's session could be Friday morning?

Fiona

Sorry... just a note - the Friday morning isn't for older children, it's for babies (Baby rhyme time). There aren't many kids there over the age of about 2. In fact, I thought the Monday one was for older children (that's why I've never been...)?

I have to support the fact that I don't think the times of either should be changed and the opening hours should be altered instead if necessary.

I couldn't see the petition in the library today, only a letter about the new times?

The planned new opening time from April are to avoid having any staff take lunch.

If any employee works for more than 5 hours then they have to have a break.

The new hours are designed so no breaks are required so covering people at break times will no longer be an issue.