East Dulwich Grove mugging

Otto2, sorry to hear about your son, but delighted that at least his bike has been found.

I kind of agree that it's best to not take these robberies personally, but I've struggled to get this message

through to my 14 year old who was mugged last December near East Dulwich station. It has really shaken his confidence and months later, he still won't travel home alone from places where he previously felt safe.

I think it is perfectly natural for a mugging to have repercussions. It is not "taking it personally" - it is a potentially traumatic experience and different people will take different amounts of time to recover. I think it is important to listen and let them talk about how they feel without putting words in their mouths, or, telling them how they should feel. This was my son's second mugging, and, he had escaped a potential third just the week before by fast cycling. All were by groups of teens, some with older people involved. His feelings? He does not want a phone, does not want the bike that was returned, and, does not want to go anywhere solo atm. He says "London sucks". I am listening and trying not to act any different than the day before it happened though that is hard. He was 30 minutes late today coming home and it worried me much much more than usual but he had an exam that ran late.

You can register bikes and phones at www.immobilise.com. You'll need your IMEI number for a phone (accessed by pressing *#06#) and your frame number for a bike.

Wtf with the minimising of such crimes on this thread? The photo of the mugger on Gilkes Crescent is awful. So sorry to hear of teens having their confidence battered and the police apparently unable to do anything about it.

This is just so frightening, why do our children have to feel like this? I can't imagine how scared they must be especially seeing that photo, I would be terrified if I was approached by that complete scumbag.

So sorry for your son Otto & hope he starts to feel a bit more himself soon.

Lisa Taylor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is just so frightening, why do our children

> have to feel like this? I can't imagine how scared

> they must be especially seeing that photo, I would

> be terrified if I was approached by that complete

> scumbag.

> So sorry for your son Otto & hope he starts to

> feel a bit more himself soon.

I agree entirely. It's not acceptable that this is happening.

I'll be out on my bicycle at school let-out time today looking out for my children and others as my heart is in my throat. They need the freedom to walk and not have annoying mums by their sides so I'll be in stealth mode (I promise my stealth mode will be more attractive than the fellow above 😂). I'm freelance so I can do this today, but, not every day. If any other mums-or-dads-on-bikes with kids too old for parents to walk with them want to make this a more formal thing, pm me. Call it a cycle club of sorts. I realise there needs to be other solutions but this is one I can think of that might be of use and it is better than feeling helpless. I'm not proposing confronting anyone - just having a presence, and, the ability to call 999 if needed.

> On Gilkes Crescent yesterday boys were held up with knives!

> A local parent took photos. Where are the police?

What was the actual interval between the 999 call (I'm assuming there was one) and the arrival of any police, and how many attended?

Otto2 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'll be out on my bicycle at school let-out time

> today looking out for my children and others as my

> heart is in my throat. They need the freedom to

> walk and not have annoying mums by their sides so

> I'll be in stealth mode (I promise my stealth mode

> will be more attractive than the fellow above

> 😂). I'm freelance so I can do this today,

> but, not every day. If any other

> mums-or-dads-on-bikes with kids too old for

> parents to walk with them want to make this a more

> formal thing, pm me. Call it a cycle club of

> sorts. I realise there needs to be other solutions

> but this is one I can think of that might be of

> use and it is better than feeling helpless. I'm

> not proposing confronting anyone - just having a

> presence, and, the ability to call 999 if needed.

Surely this is what the police should be doing - increased presence around school finishing time.

• 3 weeks later...