NCT groups and same sex parents

I have 2 good friends who are expecting thier first baby and would like to attend an NCT group but are concerned they may not receive a positive response from the others in the group.

Has anyone heard of NCT groups for same sex parents? Or has attended an NCT group with same sex parents? Or some sort of support network for same sex parents?

My own expeience of NCT groups is very positive but I'm not in thier shoes.

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks in advance.

Jasmina Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> Has anyone heard of NCT groups for same sex

> parents? Or has attended an NCT group with same

> sex parents?

>

>

>Not in my group but I have had several friends who had same sex parents in their group

I'm in a same sex relationship and we did the nct class with becky at the old nuns head nd whilst we were the only ss couple in the group no one batted an eyelid and becky was fantastic when referring to partners rather than just solely using the term "father" of course it was used a lot as it would be naturally but not 100% of the time. Defo look her up and get them to go there. To be honest its so mainstream in London and ED it's really not an issue x

Strawbs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> becky was fantastic when referring

> to partners rather than just solely using the term

> "father" of course it was used a lot as it would

> be naturally but not 100% of the time. Defo look

> her up and get them to go there.

The NCT beats all us teachers with a big stick until we learn to say 'partners' not 'Dads' :))

Becky is just lovely, very funny and witty, and if they're over that way then I agree that her classes would be really great and welcoming for your friends Jasmina.

I am on the committee of South London Lesbian Mums Group. Get your friends to PM me if you like. Will be going to the Summer babies meet up this Sat too if they are around and would like to meet up. Are they due soon?

We went to NHS antenatal with our first. Very diverse group of parents. If anyone had any issue with us, they didn't mention it and we came away with new Muslim and Catholic friends, which we weren't expecting!

Thanks so much everyone. This is really wonderful feedback and I'll pass on all the info.

nubby's mums - They are due in August, so a little way off yet, but I'll pass on your details and I'm sure they will PM you.

Once again, thanks so much.xxx

• 2 weeks later...
My NCT group was just a local one, not specially organised for any reason other then NCT. It had a same sex couple and no one was bothered about it. They integrated into the group just like anyone else. It would be nice to think that your friends could turn up to any NCT group and be treated like any other couple - about time we got over girls who like girls and boys who like boys and got on with the business of raising kids well.