legit clothes collectors

I've just done the new year clear out and I've got three bags of clothes to give to charity. I know there has been some discussion about charity clothes collections on da Forum, anybody know of a legit group that'll come an get my stuff? I don't have a car.

I was thinking of lugging the stuff to St. Christophers (the charity shopt with the blue sign on Lordship Lane) but I did go there once and was told they we're full up and couldn't receive any more stuff, which is fair enough. Anybody else have this experience or was it just me going there at a bad time for them? I know that happens sometimes, you run out of space or volunteer time to sift though the donations......

Anyway, all suggestions gratefully received.

Scylla

I've experienced the same with St Christopher's quite a few times. I always take my stuff to the shop by Goose Green roundabout. They always accept and with charm, and the chaps in there are always lovely. Whether they bin/moan afterwards, who knows?

Re leaflets, always check out the charity number (google - there is a charity website) to make sure the company is kosher -quite a lot are scams. Also, keep an eye on who actually collects: I've had an incident with some dodgy guys taking another charity's bags.

My dad took loads of stuff to St Christopher's yesterday and said the shop was closed + completely full of bags but they took his stuff anyway. Perhaps phone before you go as they sometimes have funny opening hours. I'm holding on to another 2 black bagfulls until they are less busy as they are such a fab local charity :o)

There is/was a clothes and shoes recycling bin at the Sainsburys recycling centre, but in my experience the Mencap shop near the roundabout are the best for taking donations and in terms of their opening hours.

As far as I know, the only legitimate door to door clothing collectors seem to be Christian Aid, but they only seem to do it once a year. The illegitimate collectors seem to have spotted an opportunity have been reluctant or have failed to take up.

Yeah the MIND shop on the Goose Green roundabout junction is my favourite too. They are indeed very nice and gracious and grateful and I swear once I saw a home made top I'd made and donated, on telly being worn by some lady in Africa during some televised show or maybe the news. Nice to know the system works....