Any crafters in the area?

craftymonster

I was just wondering if there are any crafting types on the forum? I myself run my own cross stitch based business called Crafty Monster - www.craftymonster.co.uk

I'm sure there must be plenty of others that do crafting as a source of income or just love doing it as a hobby. I moved away from East Dulwich about 2 years ago and have returned as missed it so much and I've noticed an influx of vintage and creative type shops such as ED Warehouse and Give and Take so it's obviously taking off in the area.

Would be great to virtually 'meet' some of you and get a community going!

Charlotte x

I think I can be counted as a crafty type... I knit, sew, crochet, have had a go at candle making and am currently making jewellery with a view to selling it at a pop up shop (I love making it and buying the materials, but there is only so much jewellery one woman can wear/give away as presents!). I cannot just sit and do nothing - watching TV, I have to have my hands occupied :)

Yes, me too. I have a small business making handknitted and crocheted baby clothing. I'm on Facebook, "Handcrafted by Pippa".

I've previously sold on stalls in the area but these days focus on making to order which, combined with looking after 3 kids, keeps me well and truly busy.

I love crafting of all types.

I am also a crafter. I mainly make wedding jewellery (tiaras etc...) but I also dabble in card making, paper crafts, jewellery, sewing and sock animals. I had signed up for the crochet course at moo too this spring but it unfortunately got cancelled.

I'd be interested to hear of craft related activities going on and especially new skills as I seem to have a lot of stuff that's yet to be made into things, eg. Candle making equipment, quilting bits and pieces and so on!

Great to hear there are some of us out there! The Scarlet Peacock sounds interesting, must have a look.

I've just gone from 5 days to 4 to concentrate on crafting one day a week but it's a bit daunting - business plans are not my forte!

And Twirly, I totally agree, I always have to be doing something in front of the TV! x

OOOOooo great thread.

I love sewing and embroidery. I also make pictures for my kids - cutting up lovely wrapping paper and making a story out of them - butterflies are my favourite.

Was given a cross stitch kit for Christmas but haven't got round to it yet.

Am doing a patchworking course at Scarlet Peacock next month which i'm highly excited about. I actually learnt all my sewing knowledge through Mellors at Scarlet Peacock and I can't recommend her high enough. joshR - i'm pretty sure she does crochet courses so it's worth a look.

What projects has everyone got on at the moment? I'm currently making my daughter some patchwork blankets for her dolls - just learning from youtube vids and a few books i've got

I have always knitted and this year have learned to crochet in Sydenham. The details of these are on yo crochet website or same on Facebook....I really recommend them plus there's an improvers group at the Golden Lion in Sydenham on a Wednesday night or if you want to can just go and chat and crochet.

HI

Am also a novice crafter, been knitting for about two years and hopefully about to go on a couple of days run by southwark adlut education for sewing as got a machine for my birthday... have a few mums round for knit nights once a month too!

Great to hear there are a few of us quietly crafting away

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Does anyone know of any good fabric shops in the area? I need to get some material for a cushion on Friday so it has to be pretty good quality. The nearest I can think of is the craft superstore in Tooting - which is a bit of a mission! Any ideas welcome :-)

x