Stik the street artist is painting Dulwich

Have you noticed a couple of stik people outside Push Studios and some fetching blue on the Blackwater Street side of Mrs Robinsons? The well known (in East London) graffiti artist Stik is painting 6 sites for the Dulwich Festival! His compositions are inspired by some of the old master paintings in Dulwich Picture Gallery, and he has adapted his palette accordingly. Evening Standard article about Stik

Can't wait to see the finished results in dulwich - I told my friends about him and they are interested about stik, I think it's because he is a graffiti artist. I believe stik is a positive influence to the younger generation as his work could stretch their mind about modern art

Stik will be painting on the wall of 184 Court Lane later this afternoon, and perhaps, if it is dry enough, on 150 Court Lane too.

If you come by between 3 and 5 you can catch the Court Lane plant sale/swap outside 142. Neat combination of events, typifies the area.

Lishyloo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think it lOoks a bloody mess, just because a so

> cold artist did it we call it art

a so cold artist? He looked pretty warm when I just saw him working on his latest creation in Court Lane ;-)

Lishyloo Wrote:

> I think it lOoks a bloody mess, just because a so

> cold artist did it we call it art

xxxxxx

Just because you can't spell, we call it a post :))

Or something.

I think Stik's work is wonderful, myself.

Re. IngridB's original post & rch's photo of Stik's creation, I can't imagine which old master in Dulwich Picture Gallery was the inspiration:-

Diana,Apollo & Nymphs by Tiepolo? Mrs Elizabeth Moody with her sons Samuel and Thomas by Gainsborough?

kiera Wrote:

> Re. IngridB's original post & rch's photo of

> Stik's creation, I can't imagine which old master

> in Dulwich Picture Gallery was the inspiration:-

> Diana,Apollo & Nymphs by Tiepolo? Mrs Elizabeth

> Moody with her sons Samuel and Thomas by

> Gainsborough?

Well, I saw another of Stik's creations in Dulwich today. I'm no expert, but I suspect the inspiration was The Linley Sisters by Thomas Gainsborough. I could be wrong.

Vince Wrote:

> kiera Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Re. IngridB's original post & rch's photo of

> > Stik's creation, I can't imagine which old

> master

> > in Dulwich Picture Gallery was the

> inspiration:-

> > Diana,Apollo & Nymphs by Tiepolo? Mrs Elizabeth

> > Moody with her sons Samuel and Thomas by

> > Gainsborough?

>

> Well, I saw another of Stik's creations in Dulwich

> today. I'm no expert, but I suspect the

> inspiration was The Linley Sisters by Thomas

> Gainsborough. I could be wrong.

You are not wrong. Have you seen his walls outside Push Studios? That is based on a more obscure one.

Try looking at Stik's work really carefully. It is hugely admired and beloved. See below. And he has permission to do these pieces!

Extracts from an email I have just received from an academic in Human Geography - research specialty - cultural geography with reference to Urban Art and urban interventions.

I am a great admirer of Stik's work. In all the time I was researching urban art practices in Paris I had never felt as personally moved by their creativity as I am by Stik's work. It is extraordinary how his Stik People capture our imaginations, emotions, the unconscious. His Stik People are far from simple, they manifest complexity in themselves, their viewers and in passers by. My staff and students have virtually adopted Stik's People on the wall behind St Giles-In-The-Fields church in Bloomsbury. I am almost certain that Stik is not familiar with the history of this church in terms of the London poor including some horrifying images of nineteenth century poverty in that place. His three Stik People on the wall could almost be a continuation of that history. Two of them gaze down at the pond beneath their feet as if looking for a lost soul although every time we visit there our interpretation changes and we are caught up in multiple narratives!

Stik's work is both moving and powerful and meeting him is an absolute privilege.

She is bringing some students down to see his work next week.

Vince Wrote:

> Well, I saw another of Stik's creations in Dulwich

> today. I'm no expert, but I suspect the

> inspiration was The Linley Sisters by Thomas

> Gainsborough. I could be wrong.

xxxxxxxx

Well spotted !

:)-D

Gotta say, I've only seen two of the pieces so far and I really really like them. I'd pay to go and see art like this. Surely the point of art to be controversial. If it doesn't make people talk what is the point of it? We should be embracing this not quietly bitching about it on the internet.

Jon