Stik the street artist is painting Dulwich

Ukjoncollins Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Gotta say, I've only seen two of the pieces so far

> and I really really like them. I'd pay to go and

> see art like this. Surely the point of art to be

> controversial. If it doesn't make people talk what

> is the point of it? We should be embracing this

> not quietly bitching about it on the internet.

>

> Jon

xxxxxx

Agree :)

Stik will be painting a wall in Dulwich Park today. The end wall of the building next to the bowling green, opposite the children's playground. A class from the Hamlet school is coming to watch and possibly participate between 2 and 3 if its not pouring with rain. It was surprisingly easy to get permission for this, even Southwark council loves Stik's work!

How completely awesome!

Dulwich should be honoured, his manages to convey expression and emotion in such few brush strokes

he should be commended not vilified, his work is thoughtful, not thoughtless and mindless like the tags you see on bus stops/trains etc

:-)

The Hamlet kids just loved Stik and helped him with his painting in Dulwich Park this afternoon. Their teacher said they were privileged to have the opportunity of working with such a popular street artist.

The Dulwich Picture Gallery has sent out a press release about how delighted they are with Stik's renditions of the classical works in their collection.

No, this is not graffiti as many people understand it, it is art in the streets. It is free for everyone to enjoy and open 24 hours a day.

DULWICH FESTIVAL STREET ART WALK - SUNDAY 20 MAY @ 2.30

Stik and Ingrid are taking a walk by Stik's recent street art works on Sunday 20 May beginning at 'The Guardian Angel' at Push Studios, Blackwater Court, Blackwater Street, and ending at Dulwich Picture Gallery where you will be able to see the inspiration for his works. They will be talking about the meeting of street art and classical art on the walls of Dulwich. Come and meet the artist.

Tickets (?4/2)on the Dulwich Festival website. Tickets include free entrance to Dulwich Picture Gallery.

My initial concern, when councillors were notified of this project by council officers, was also about the possible impact of "copycat" graffiti in the area. But, having met Stik last Saturday, I'm greatly reassured by his responsible, pro-community stance.

And, as Ingrid stresses, this isn't just a random, opportunistic operation... it's a specific community "performance art" project, uniquely based on renditions of the works in the Dulwich Picture Gallery in tandem with the timing of the Dulwich Festival, executed with the permission of the owners of the sites.

If there is an increase in graffiti in the area, I will personally ask Arf, our amazing street-cleaning manager, to send his graffiti-busters down here... or, if anyone wants to report graffiti in general, call our Environment Call Centre on 020 7525 2000.

I missed it last weekend due to other commitments but I heard that he let a girl (albeit another graffiti artist) paint with him. Damnit I guess I?m not blonde and attractive enough! My friend saw the photos on facebook and it looks fabulous ? the artwork not the girl, however??

*Bob* Wrote:

> And there's today's daily dose of utter misery,

> courtesy of Dulwich Fox.

>

>

>

> Tune in tomorrow - for more of the same.

You are a very ignorant person..

I've been the victim of grafitti 'Artists' when my 4 year old Renault Master van was

sprayed by one of these gits..

Let me know if you would like me to spray your home or car..

I suppose not..

Fox

It depends.

If you're a planning of tagging the front of my house is some pointless scrawl whilst I'm sleeping unawares, then probably not.

If you're an artist, creating something which I deem to be of worth, and you have my permission, then go ahead.

If you're incapable of understanding the difference, then the ignorance is all yours.

*Bob* Wrote:

> It depends.

>

> If you're a planning of tagging the front of my

> house is some pointless scrawl whilst I'm sleeping

> unawares, then probably not.

>

> If you're an artist, creating something which I

> deem to be of worth, and you have my permission,

> then go ahead.

>

>

>

> If you're incapable of understanding the

> difference, then the ignorance is all yours.

Well I am not a vandal and respect other people property, so I will not be tagging your home.

Whether or not I'm an artist is a matter of peosonal taste.

Judgeing by the taste of many people here on EDF, I probably could get away with it.

Let me know if you still want my services and I will send you a Quote for the work.. ;-)

Fox..

You should get out there with a couple of spray cans in the dead of night.

Might loosen you up a bit.

Any ideas on what your tag name might be?! If you're stuck, I could probably come-up with something suitable.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> DFox are you this Stig Fellow?

Stig ??? Did you mean Stik... ??

I thought people here had met the Stik Fellow..

Am I this Stik fellow. ???

Would I say what I say if I were... ??

Foxy.

Can you please remove this picture, Fox?

I don't want to start a trend.

God Forbid we have all the young hoods rushing to Sexby Gardens to take a picture, apply a reddish filter to it and then post it on the EDF.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Can you please remove this picture, Fox?

>

>

> I don't want to start a trend.

>

> God Forbid we have all the young hoods rushing to

> Sexby Gardens to take a picture, apply a reddish

> filter to it and then post it on the EDF.

Did not use a Red Filter. otherwise the Sky would be red as well.

And it was not done in PhotoShop...

There is a lot more work than that...

Foxy

Yes, it is a Gainsborough.

See, by pretending to make my art publicly accessible by spraying it on walls, assuming the language of street art, I simultaneously make my art an elitist parlour game.

That means I win both ways.