> Was there a show guide?

>

> thanks

tiger ranks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i thought it was a good day but need a few more

> food stalls as the queues were to long for food

xxxxxxx

The problem is that the turnout must be very dependent on the weather.

If there had been more food stalls and the weather had been rubbish (which very very luckily it wasn't) none of them would have done much business.

It must be almost impossible to get the balance right.

my daughter finally got to have a ride on the donkey this year as usually i dont have the patience to queue but went earlier than previous years as now live closer to the green and queue werent too bad!

looking forward to the dulwich park fair this sunday too-lets hope the weather is as good as it was sunday!

Enjoyed the Dulwich Park Festival today, although the weather wasn't brilliant! I'm part of the Dulwich Vegetable Garden and we had a stand selling vegetable plants, which went really well. I took a few photos of the Spring Open Day we held in the Garden, which is behind Roseberry Lodge. Take a look: Dulwich Vegetable Garden - Spring Open Day

It's volunteer run, so if you fancy getting involved there's sessions every Wednesday and Sunday. Details here: http://www.dulwichgoinggreener.org.uk/dulwich-vegetable-garden

Thanks to all those who came for a look around the garden, great to see you all!

After the furore last year - on this forum at least - I was somewhat surprised to see that the hospice stall at yesterday's festival was selling two different types of golliwogs, and didn't seem at all bothered when I pointed out that they could cause offence to some people.

I have spoken to St Christopher's Hospice. Its not their policy to sell Gollys. One of their volunteers makes them and has raised ?100000 (not just from selling Gollys) She is Elderly and doesn't understand the offence Caused but they will try and persuade her to stop. Their Event Head Paul would like anyone who wishes to speak to them to call him its Paul on 02087684572.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> Sue what was the Furore last year?

xxxxxx

One of the stalls at the Festival Fair on Goose Green (not the hospice, I think it was one of those retro furniture places) was selling golliwogs. I didn't see them myself, but somebody posted something on here about it and started a heated discussion.

I can't remember the subject title of the thread.

So far as this year's are concerned, there were two very different types of golly being sold on the hospice's stall on Sunday, and I'd be very surprised if the same person makes both types.

One lot were like little statues and looked like the old Robertson's jam ones from the fifties (?), and the others were made of material and stuffed and were much more in-your-face.

They were being displayed next to each other. I saw the Robertson ones first and made some comment to the stallholder, but then I saw the other ones - which in my opinion were much worse - and that was when I told her that they could cause offence.

I was very surprised that she seemed totally unconcerned, but I really didn't want to ruin my (and probably her) afternoon by making a big issue of it.

steveo Wrote:

> Fantastic falcons, hawks and owls, particularly

> the Eagle owl which looked like it could have your

> arm off

I wonder if they have found Rodney the Barn Owl (think it was a barn owl) that decided to make a dash for freedom.

A Gollywog is a stylised 'minstrel' wearing garish clothing and with exaggerated afro-american features. Originally created (probably) affectionately, Gollywogs became the criminal group in Noddy books (now replaced by goblins) - Gollywogs originally stole Noddy's car. While many (older) people still see gollywogs as basically an object of affection they have become a symbol of, at best, a condescending attitude, at worst an insulting one. 'Gollywog' became a term of racial abuse in the UK in the 50s.

They are entirely different from a doll representing a black or brown skinned child.

Thanks for the info, appreciated. I'm surprised some are ignorant of the offence caused if they're that blatant (noting of course that I didn't know what a golliwog was beyond a brown or black-skinned doll). But I think the approach Sue, the e-dealer and others have taken to the lady in question is the right one.