Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I only posted that in response to the people on

> here who think that as soon as you contact your

> insurance company re any kind of cracks they

> immediately mark it down as subsidence on your

> file or whatever.

They might, they might not.

However, if the option exists to take this initial decision out of the hands of a for-profit business - by way of a relatively modest outlay to a completely impartial (and possibly better-qualified - at least in terms of the first person the building insurance people send over) expert.. there's a good chance you might be glad you did.

Experiences may vary and it's nice to see some kind words for the industry on here, but equally I doubt there are any shortages of people who feel their insurer has been an absolute bastard as soon as the opportunity arose.

Lemming Wrote:

-------------------------------------------I

> doubt there are any shortages of people who feel

> their insurer has been an absolute bastard as soon

> as the opportunity arose.

I have a case with the financial ombudsman at the moment, but the main problems were with Sedgwick aka Cunningham Lindsey, rather than the insurance company (although the insurance company dealt very badly with my complaint).

Interestingly, we have just finished a tortuous three year subsidence claim and were compelled to deal with the same company(s). Awful experience with the lowest level of customer service. Very stressful and just working up the energy to put in a formal complaint with the insurers who always insist on contracting them.

cella Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Interestingly, we have just finished a tortuous

> three year subsidence claim and were compelled to

> deal with the same company(s). Awful experience

> with the lowest level of customer service. Very

> stressful and just working up the energy to put in

> a formal complaint with the insurers who always

> insist on contracting them.

Very interesting. I had a PM from another local person who is also going down the financial ombudsman route due to problems with Sedgwick/Cunningham Lindsey.

I can't understand why insurance companies continue to use them.

Due to their incompetence, I had to live in my kitchen for nearly six months, and developed two separate debilitating physical illnesses, both of which were worsened by stress and one of which was probably caused by stress. I am still under hospital treatment for both of them.

On occasion I had to go to bed for days because I was so ill, but I was unable to lie on the sofa in my living room, which was completely boarded up, there were no windows, and almost all its contents (those which could be moved upstairs) were taking up the whole of my spare bedroom.

• 10 months later...

I have used resources in this thread to investigate cracks, and have another recommendation to add.

Robert Walton-Sharp visited the property, carried out a full survey, made recommendations. It was extremely helpful.

He is a structural engineer, so better versed in the specifics of this than a building surveyor, and his prices were reasonable - the lower end of the quotes I got from structural engineers (and the same as some building surveyors). Worth mentioning that some of the building surveyors I spoke to referred me on to structural engineers.

Robert Walton-Sharp

BSc(Hons) CEng MIStructE

SHARP Structural Design Ltd ? Chartered Structural Engineers

07973 253 164

020 8764 2602

I also had a bad experience with one of the contractors mentioned in this thread, and would be happy to provide info over DM.

If you're living in a victorian house then I wouldn't worry about cracks at all. The house has been there for >100 years so why would there suddenly be a problem now? unless something has radically changed in the surrounding ground environment.

The ground shrinks and expands depending on the seasons and the long-term rainfall/groundwater etc. Planting a tree may take up water and cause the ground to shrink, perhaps causing problems. Removing a tree may cause more water to stay in the ground and again perhaps cause problems.

Victorian houses were usually built with shallower foundations than we have now, but the lime mortar they used can actually 'rebond' and heal itself from small cracks.

Modern houses have more robust foundations and non-lime mortar, in this case cracks may be more worrysome.

• 6 months later...