Holidays/ travelling

womanofdulwich

I come from a family whose holiday was nearly always 2 weeks in Derbyshire to see relatives. We moved house around the country quite a lot ( every 3 years on average). The argument was that we did not need a holiday as we spent our summer holidays exploring our new home area.

Consequently when I first left home I hitched round europe and did inter-rail etc which was great. But now although I like the idea of a holiday the idea of planning it etc makes me think I would rather have a long weekend or days out. The expectation of others of being able to find a perfect 1 or 2 week holiday for my family fills me with dread. My children even say they're not bothered about a holiday.

I am dreading my next haircut " have you booked your holdiay yet?" conversation.

Does anyone else feel like this ?

Have a screwed up my kids?

"Have I screwed up my kids?"

Paging Mr Larkin -- Mr Larkin, womanofdulwich awaits you in the lobby -- Mr Larkin, please pick up the nearest white courtesy telephone to be connected with womanofdulwich...

How EVER did you set your expectations at the level of finding a "perfect" holiday? ANY holiday will have rubbish bits and, in balance, bits that make you cry with laughter twenty years later as you re-tell them.

Stop thinking too much. Now go book your holiday. Shoo!

Cottage in Cornwall, roof rack to carry windbreaks, surf boards, buckets & spades, rugs. 3 days out of 5 you'll be on the beach with sand between your toes, splashing in the sea with children, crabbing in the local harbour, eating pasties. 2 days in five you'll be sheltering from the rain - but it makes a great holiday.

Fox knows me - best holiday was the one I planned for myself on a Harley its true. Yes the family came too- on the back.

Lived in Cornwall and Devon for the first 9 years of my life and its just not the same when you go back as a visitor. Especially with teenagers.

Better get looking then............

What about a city trip? Taking time to get somewhere cool (Madrid/Berlin/???) by driving for a day, staying somewhere nice for 2 nights driving for a day staying somewhere nice for 2 days...you get the idea.

Take the train - really easy and usually different to what kids are used to. Our teenagers like it (mostly).