Our local police team - Goose Green ward

bels123

Issue or time - my sentiment remains valid. The police go after cars that are driven by speeding drivers and I support that action. They don?t go after new-fangled law breakers because they?re from a very conservative body that doesn?t always react quickly enough. Illegal and safety threatening applies to cycles, electric scooters but they?re not interested because it?s not in their muscle memory. People have died on these things, others have been injured - why wouldn?t a law enforcement agency do its utmost to police them sensibly and sensitively? 🤷‍♂️

The reason I said that it?s a difficult issue is that it?s extremely difficult for police to stop a speeding e-scooter zipping by when the police are on foot (as they often are when patrolling or doing speed monitoring sessions).

The difference between addressing speeding cars and speeding e-scooters (and bicycles) is that cars have registration plates that the police can verify and issue tickets even if the car doesn?t stop, whereas e-scooters don?t have registration plates.

So, until e-scooters are legalised and registered, issuing fines is going to be a bit hit and miss, depending on the circumstances!

Why don?t you come by on the 24th, Nigello, and say hi and speak to the police directly? I know that you?re very community minded, so maybe you can help to support our team in different ways? I don?t have any particular connection with them, but I?ve been submitting CGS bids to help fund aspects of police work for years because it?s something I believe in.

Just a quick reminder that the Goose Green Safer Neighbourhood Police Team will be running a Cycle Marking Session tomorrow outside of Franklins on Lordship Lane from 10.30am until 1pm.

The timing is useful as we?re hoping that the visible presence of the local police team will reassure residents who are concerned about the stabbing incident nearby earlier in the week.

So, come by to say hello and meet our local police team!

• 5 months later...

Just to flag that the Goose Green SNT are having their third ward panel meeting of the year on Monday, 18th October 2021 from 7pm at East Dulwich Picturehouse, 116A, Lordship Lane, SE22 8HD.

This meeting will be in person for the first time in months and is open to all Goose Green residents to attend. It?s a perfect opportunity to talk to our local police team and discuss any local concerns.

The police still visit Lordship Lane and the area on a regular basis. I saw a Response Team buying ice cream from Oddono?s recently when the weather was warm, plus many still stop and buy lunch when driving through. I always stop and say hi when I see them, as it?s always reassuring to see them around.

Furthermore, our local SNT often patrol in plainclothes in areas where residents have reported issues, which is why we always encourage people to report suspicious behaviour even if there is nothing specific, as our teams are often keeping their eyes open.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...