Our local police team - Goose Green ward

bels123

Don't want to derail the thread but could you tell us more about this, RCH? When is this happening? I'll be very happy to see the space being used more productively as it's such a prime spot and I've literally never seen anyone go in or out of the existing building. What's the plan for shops? Is the frontage going to be improved at all?

And yes, to answer your question, seems like a great idea for police to have an office there if that is what they need.

rch Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Also, now that the former Maudsley offices at

> 20-22 Lordship Lane (by Goose Green Roundabout)

> are being converted into a community hub with

> workshops and pop up shops, there is a possibility

> that a private room in the back of the building

> could be provided for police officers and also

> council officers (i.e. housing, park managers,

> wardens and other departments) to use to take

> breaks and catch up with paperwork and emails

> while they are in the area, rather than hiking

> back to Peckham or Tooley Street on foot or by bus

> and then back to Goose Green ward again.

>

> This would mean that police would save a lot of

> time travelling and therefore could spend more

> time on the local streets. They could also arrange

> meetings with residents in the meeting rooms that

> would be available.

>

> Would residents support this possibility?

Thanks for the support, first mate. I'll stay in touch on progress, as we may need residents to lobby councillors.

Also, Pugwash... my idea was that Goose Green SNT, Village SNT, and Champion Hill SNT would be able to use the community hub as a rest stop, but it may be possible for Dulwich Hill to access it as well, as the buses down the Lordship Lane axis are more convenient that the rubbish bus services running east-west.

I'm aware that the Gypsy Hill location is useful for Dulwich Wood SNT, but not great for some of the other teams.

Therefore, we definitely need some kind of stepping stone to fill the gap between Peckham and Gypsy Hill. I understand budget cuts, but there are sometimes more creative ways of addressing issues. We all just need to stick together!

Hi redjam, we just overlapped posts...

I've been lobbying for this multi-use community hub concept at the Maudsley site for several years now, as the last thing we need is more empty shops and community hubs tend to increase footfall on high streets. Just after the last election, I hounded the current councillors who have now had this idea approved by the council. The space has recently been leased to a group called Oru Spaces, who are in the process of upgrading and converting all three floors into meeting rooms, mini offices, pop up start-up business facilities and have agreed to consider a private police/council officer rest stop.

There's been one drop in consultation, which I attended and there will be a better publicised drop in soon.

I'm now in the process of liaising with Oru, police teams, and councillors with the view of creating the police room in the back of the property so that they can have privacy and also so that the users of the public spaces have priority. Therefore, the support of the local residents is going to become crucial to having this agreed in addition to the other community spaces.

Looking at the building works being done, I'm assuming that the hub will open early next year? I've recommended that Oru posts on the EDF once they have a better idea of timing, etc, while I will focus on the police room aspect.

The Nunhead and Peckham Rye SNT also have meetings and they said they would advertise a bit more their meetings on the What's On section. We really all should try and attend Safer NeighbourHood Team Meetings because it benefits all of us and we are the people they need feedback from. I was sad to see no SNT police stand at the Fete though, just six grumpy silent police from the roads and highways team, I believe, trying really hard not to engage with or be engaged by anyone at all.

Patrolling Lordship Lane is not very useful at any time of day. Seems to me that most of the crimes reported on this forum take place on side roads and back roads. I imagine the SNT have this information already and so if would be better placed putting it to use.

The panel tonight will set the top 3 priorities of the local team for the next 8 weeks, they're currently burglary, shoplifting and increasing community engagement (which goes to the point about being more visible and recognised).

Do you agree these are the right priorities? Vote here to have your say or come to the meeting this evening to discuss more https://www.met.police.uk/a/your-area/met/southwark/goose-green/

Yes, you're right ed_pete... the police do know which back and side roads to patrol, but we need to find a way for local residents to be reassured and report issues more easily. Part of the problem with Goose Green Ward is that it looks like nothing is happening around here because people tend not to report, so extra resources are diverted to other local wards.

Our new SNT team are really good at communicating, we just need to find a way for the public to interact with them more easily.

Because of my concerns about Crime in the area I attended the Recent Goose Green ward Safer Neighbourhood Team meeting at the Picture House last Friday,

The team consists of PC Tibor Fodor, PC Olivia Broughton and PCSO Teresa Kent.

Also in attendace was Former Ward Councillor, now Community Activist Robin Cruickshank

who recognised me as a local campaigner from the Silvester road post office sorting office protest.

I exchanged contact details with PC Fodor (Peckham Police) and will be kept up tp date from his office by e-mail.

We discussed in some detail Burglary, shop lifting, increasing engagment and the increase in Drug Dealing in the area.

I have been invited to attend further meetings and to encourage more residents to come along through the EDF

I believe the next meeting will be on 6th November and a venue is yet to be decided.

The last meeting at the Picture house was outside and as it got dark there was no working lighting

and it got cold.

It would be good to see more local residents at the next meeting. I was the only non-official resident attending.

One of the items discussed not on the agenda was Theft from Bins and the risk Identity theft

Please do come along. Your views and concerns will be noted.

DulwichFox

We?ll issue a summary of the minutes shortly to update here. Without wanting to contradict the earlier post I think it?s important to clarify that ?an increase in drug dealing? wasn?t discussed - but fair to say drug dealing was, in terms of issues that local residents wanted to raise to the local Police.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saying hi to DulwichFox and singalto... it's great to actually be able to talk to everyone in person!

FYI, I made a special request to the local police to patrol on Lordship Lane more visibly, as per the discussion above. So can someone post on this thread when they see our officers out and about?

Also, I was intrigued by Cora's comments above... so now I'm curious as to what the EDF users think are causing the most problems in Goose Green ward?

Look forward to meeting you, seenbeen! Am slowly working my way through all the forum pseudonyms...

Out of curiosity, what do you think are the three biggest crime issues in the ward? You don't need to give personal information, am just curious about residents' general observations...

I know you were being ironic, Humdinger, but you set me off on a really productive train of thought...

The reason why a pint of beer is so expensive is because Lordship Lane has been designated a "Destination Area" as the variety of shops has grown over the years. This means that more people come from out of the area to shop in addition to the local residents, which increases footfall.

The increase in footfall in turn has a effect on the increasing annual shop rental amounts, which in turn increases the business rates, whereupon the council benefits from the increased amount of business rate income.

So, the price of a pint inevitably goes up to cover the increase in rental costs and business rates.

HOWEVER...

In other parts of the borough, the council allocates funds to improve the local high street, but we don't get very much support down here in Lordship Lane. There are measures that the council can take to address crime in Lordship and even make simple improvements such as upgrading the pavements and street lights.

There is also a council fee on property developments, known as CIL or Section 106, which is collected in the Dulwich area, but redirected to make improvements in the middle and the north of the borough.

There used to be a local Dulwich CIL priority list, which listed a new local police office on Lordship Lane as a top community priority request, but I'm sure this is now buried.

Therefore, since you're now having to pay higher prices for a pint of beer, I have decided to lobby the council to allocate a proportion of the Lordship Lane business rate income and CIL payments to contribute to the creation of a local SNT Police Office within the new 20 Lordship Lane meeting room redevelopment.

I therefore request that you drink as much beer as possible on Lordship Lane...!

• 1 month later...

Dear all,

I have been advised about the Next Safer Neighbourhood Panel meeting -

This will take place Wed 11th December 7pm at the Dulwich Picturehouse

Please do come along and share any concerns about the local area and community.

Some members of the Police Team have moved on and new officers will be joining us.

A chance for you to meet them.

DulwichFox

In addition to the above panel meeting, the local Goose Green ward Neighbourhood Police team have also confirmed the below dates on Twitter @MPSGooseGreen for their regular contact sessions - pop in to Grove Vale Library to meet them and discuss any concerns / ask questions. First one is tomorrow.

22/11/2019 @ 3pm

29/11/2019 @ 4pm

06/12/2019 @ 1pm

10/12/2019 @ 1pm

17/12/2019 @ 1pm

03/01/2020 @ 4pm

10/01/2020 @ 1pm

17/01/2020 @ 1pm