London Zoo - is it worth the cost?

Thinking of heading to London Zoo in next few weeks but am shocked it's ?22 per adult....making a visit with our 2 year old (who gets in free) nearly ?50! Can anyone tell me if it's worth it? He loves animals but don't want to shell out that much if it's too old for him or if you can't really see the animals that well in their allocated areas...

You can find buy one get one free tickets all the time around this time of year so have a look out for offers before you go and yes it is deffently worth going , we love London zoo , search for offers and enjoy ur day :)

If not then there is a little zoo in Battersea park that might provide enough animal entertainment for your 2 year old...its around ?7-8 I think. I take my 15 month old to the crystal palace farm as she finds the animals funny but she is now highly unimpressed with the offering so we might step it up a gear and try the battersea park zoo.

Otherwise someome recommend Brocketts Farm in Kent for a great day out...lots of animals but nothing more exotic than a llama I dont think.

I love London Zoo but it is pricey and more suited to older children. Check out their website and see what animals they have that your son particularly likes. I can't ever remember having seen elephants there for e.g. Although, love their giraffes.

At 2, I would echo that Battersea zoo is probably better esp with the meerkat tunnel that allows you to pop up and view in the middle of their enclosure. You can get in with the goats and stroke them. Also good play areas and plenty of picnic tables. Much easier day than hiking over to London Zoo.

All their large animals - elephants etc are now out at Whipsnade, which is much better for them.

I think for a two year old as others have said - Battersea Park or similar will do, save the big zoo for when he's a bit older, unless you can get a really good deal on tickets.

hi i've not been to london zoo with my 4 year old yet but second the battersea zoo recommendations - went there yesterday and it was fantastic (esp the meerkat tunnel), just enough animals to keep her interest, feeding times are good with nice people talking to the children about the animals (my little girl asked why the monkeys weren't having bananas and got a proper answer) , wasn't busy even on a bank holiday - and the playground is fantastic. One of the best days out we've had.

Susypx

We went last week with our 2-year old using the 2-4-1 offer with national rail. The highlight for her was getting on the train there, having an ice cream, seeing the rabbits, owls and monkeys, and the fountain paddling pool thing which we didn't know existed so we ended up stripping her down to her nappy and drying her off with a muslin.

In hindsight, it was quite hard work getting there and back, it's too big really to get round it all with such a little one, lots of other screaming kids around, skipping her nap...We would have had just as much fun at battersea zoo tbh at this age. The meerkats there are fab and lots of animals that you can get really close to.

Ah yes, the paddling pool at the zoo, very conveniently placed next to the gift shop that sells mega expensive towels (that are made from the thinnest towelling ever)! Always take a towel to the zoo - random but true!!

Sandy-Rose - when I take my girls into town the best bit for them always seems to be the bus journey!!

TBH I didn't think much of it, a lot of the interactive bits where you pushed buttons and things seemed to be broken, but then again we had not long been to Singapore zoo which is amazing :)