Any moped/scooter commuters?

Would definitely suggest you consider cycling.

Much cheaper - insurance is cheap, no petrol, kit is cheaper (unless you buy Rapha!) and the bike itself is cheaper.

Better for you and the environment and no less safe (possibly more so).

Easier to park.

ED to West End is probably 35-45 mins according to exact locations and speed.

Would also echo someone's comments above - from SE22 to the city, almost no difference in commute time between a motorbike and a bicycle. I do find the moto much more pleasant through winter though.

Mid-way compromise is a power-assist pedal bike. Means you can ride a heavier and more comfortable bike with full mudguards for the winter, without being a slog to haul it over distances.

Pros:

- Good for the environment and your fitness - the level of exertion is about equivalent to walking, but you go 5x as fast.

- Quiet (unlike petrol engined scooters)

- Great safety record

- Inexpensive to run - no insurance etc.

- No compulsory training

- No need to fill up on fuel, ever - charge the battery pack at home or work from normal mains socket

- Can bring it home on the train (and the "surface" Tube lines, overground etc.) if it's late and rainy and you've had a few drinks

- Power assist means you can run with full mudguards, panniers and waterproof gear and not get sweaty or wet

- Can use all the cut-throughs, cycle lanes, cycle early starts, parks, paths etc. which are closed to scooters

Cons:

- High initial purchase price for a good spec model, ?1000 is the minimum for something that will last although prices are coming down all the time

- Relatively low top speed, the power assist cuts out at 15mph, as such it's much less comfortable than a 125 if you need to mix with traffic on a 30mph road

- Maybe not as comfortable as a scooter

- Can be heavy, but for security reasons (see above, high purchase price) you want to store it indoors or in a bike shed. This can be a problem if you need to take it home via a station that doesn't have lifts, or if your workplace has no arrangements for bike storage.

Another recommendation for Mungo on Tyrell Road - he?s an amazing teacher and will give you confidence! He was so patient with me and I learned loads from him so I would definitely do your cbt with him. I?ve been commuting by moped for 5 years now and I love it. I?d prefer to learn in spring rather than going into winter, although winter riding is fine with the right gear!

joggy90 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Would a 50cc be enough for that kind of commute or

> would I need something faster? Thanks!

I would never recommend anything less than a 125. Neither are fast, but you will get a safer amount of acceleration from a 125 and a much better choice of second hand options. There is not much correlation between 50cc vehicles and responsible owners.

"Participating London Boroughs are: Barnet, Brent, Bromley, Camden, City of London, Croydon, Enfield, Greenwich, Hackney, Haringey, Hammersmith and Fulham, Hounslow, Kingston, Lambeth, Tower Hamlets, Lewisham, Newham, Kensington and Chelsea, Redbridge and Wandsworth."

Thanks Southwark, as ever.

• 2 months later...
I?ve been riding into the west end for the past 20 years. I used to ride derestricted 50cc but insurance companies won?t insure nowadays. I now ride a 125cc and it?s the best thing ever. Parking for 1 year is ?100 and I have no problem finding a parking space. I done my CBT with Mungo which I highly recommend. I agree with the others RE waterproof clothing etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I have commuted to the City regularly on a 150cc motorbike and then a 500cc for about ten years. I sold the motorbike last year as it was just outside the ULEZ rules cutoff, otherwise I'd have kept it. I chose not to get another bike, which was a big decision.

Lots of good advice above. I'd add.

Parking - sounds like this hasn't really been explored. Public bays are always full around me in the City. For this reason alone I wouldn't rely on them. I had underground carparks at all my workplaces, if I didn't I wouldn't have commuted by bike. It's that simple.

Security - scooters are very stealable. I wonder if you're parking it on the road at home whether good locks are enough.

Weather - you'll need kit for cold and rain. It's more cost and it might be a hassle to store at work.

All that said, it was a fast and reliable way to get to work and often enjoyable. Now that I'm back on buses and trains, which are relentlessly disappointing, I do miss the bike. Then again, factor in the many idiots on the road, including pedestrians, clueless/aggressive cyclists, drivers etc and I am quite glad not to be part of it. The pollution is also very in your face.

I'd agree 50cc isn't enough. 125cc or 150cc is fine.

If you're interested in a helmet, gloves, jacket etc at a very cheap rate then let me know via DM.

Cheers