Mural in North Cross Road?

nxjen

That seems a lot for the (mediocre) mural - ?10K! Can that be correct?

If you want to see some great street art go down to Penge. Either they have some great artists there freely doing their thing or else Lewisham Council have a massive budget!

The writing's on the wall!

i*Rate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That seems a lot for the (mediocre) mural - ?10K!

> Can that be correct?

>

> If you want to see some great street art go down

> to Penge. Either they have some great artists

> there freely doing their thing or else Lewisham

> Council have a massive budget!

> The writing's on the wall!

I thought Penge came under the borough of Bromley

Foxy

I thought I'd wait until seeing it in its finished state so this morning I passed through to admire its creative merit. So, er - when will it be finished 'cos it sure as Hell doesn't look finished. Maybe, as someone else said here, that all that blank space will take graffiti to complete it. A year 6 artist could have made a better effort.

Just thought I would put up a Piccy. I suspect everyone here would of seen it my now.. ?

Ok It's Colourful but cannot see where it reflects what's in the text.

One of those things that may grow on people before they get sick of the site of it.

I do hope it does not get vandalised though..

Piccy removed as clicking on it opened up my Flickr account..

Foxy

Have to say everyone I've spoken to likes the mural - adds a nice bright bit of colour and something a bit different. Nothing there to offend anyone, and more interesting than a blank brick wall. Hopefully it helps to keep some of the independent shops we're lucky enough to have plied with customers.

I guess nothing will be to everyone's taste and everyone is obviously welcome to their opinions, I get that.

We?ve become spoiled in East Dulwich and used to thought provoking and interesting street art. The purpose of this ?mural? is a colourful way of drawing attention to the businesses and market in North Cross Road rather than adding to the Dulwich Outdoor Gallery. So we have to look at it through different eyes rather than looking for something edgy though I would have preferred something a little more interesting than this bland use of paint.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> They're looking to redevelop that building anyway,

> extending it and putting flats at the back, so the

> mural may not be there for long.

Thank goodness for that :)

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> would have preferred to have commissioned a local

> school and given them the money

Yes, that would have been a great idea.

A wall near the Cowley Centre in Oxford has a brilliant series of murals done by local children, I believe from various local schools and community groups.

They?re not murals. Most of them are street art commissioned by Dulwich Picture Gallery as an outdoor exhibition. There used to be tours but sadly the lady who did them passed away.

The one by the station was commissioned by the East Dulwich Action Group as part of the Southwark funded High Street Challenge - who also ran the photo competition for the banners.

The one on the side of Superdrug is being organised by a new group.