100 hr pharmacy in C.Palace rd ?

Fair enough, if so many other people have had bad experiences, maybe I have been lucky - but I would just say that usually, people posting comments on websites etc do so because they have had bad experiences.

If you've had good experiences, you wouldn't normally go to the trouble of posting about them on an NHS website, for example. Well, I wouldn't :)

It's the same with any consumer reviews, isn't it.

Don't the surgery have statistics which they have to publicise? Have I missed something somewhere? Because wouldn't the stats be the only objective way of telling whether something was actually amiss?

What Sue says is exactly correct: just asking for views ie the obsession with "consultations" only gets extreme views and people on a mission. As a believer in statistics I cannot understand why the simple SURVEY correctly written and administered and analysed is not the first method of finding out what communities think of plans for change

Its a residential street. Any late night facility, in my opinion, should be located in a more commercial area of ED or perhaps in the grounds of the Hospital on ED Grove.

There are no local transport links, and from what i can see of the application, the intention is to put a nissan hut / portacabin in the garden overlooking Darrel Road.

If the Surgery want a Pharmacy, then fine, by why open one round the back in a portacabin and have it open much later than the Surgery is open?

For this reason I oppose the pharmacy.

To look at the needle exchange issue, I do know the nursery next door (which is a community nursery) do gardening along the boundary. This area is where the youngest children play. I do not expect the vast majority of needle recipients will use any where near the surgery, but it only takes one idiot....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3176292.stm

I dont want one child to suffer due to the negligence of one idiot, and for that reason, I will happily state i do not want this exchange there.

Finally, far be it for me to think the DMC Heathcare group only think of their bottom line, but I suspect this service is only being provided as it is something they can charge Southwark a great deal of money for. Dr Ravi Gupta would seem to be doing quite well already and i dont think he needs more money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063458/Family-doctors-firm-raking-1-8m-YEAR--patients-say-surgery-appalling.html

The reason to have it open later is to make it accessible. I don't get home till 6.30 and would be delighted to be able to pickup my regular prescription when I get home. Also having a pharmacist available will provide an important medical resource for all. However not sure about having it in Darrell Road /CP road. Barry Road would be good!

@sue You're right of course about a aself selection bias with regards online feedback, which favours negative reporting. I have plenty of personal experience with DMC however and I have plenty of friends who have similar complaints as I do with regards their booking system.

I just read the article in the Mail (linked to above). It does seem wrong to me that public services, paid for out of our taxes should be run for private gain and the enrichment of a few incredibly wealthy individuals. The fact that there seems to be a profit motive in all of this does also put the debate in a different light IMO.

The problem is two fold:

The NHS is publicly funded through taxation which we are legally compelled to contribute to. Therefore I don't feel that it is right for that money to be extracted for private profit. This does not bar the use of different providers, competitive market competition, or some sort of incentivisation, but the principle ought to be one of reinvestment of profits / nonprofit.

the local authority has a legal duty to provide these services, so should the service fail they (we) would pick up the bill.

There is of course an arguement for properly privatising healthcare, but its not one I am in favour of. However, what I am particularly against are these publicly funded and underwritten 'private' companies claiming to be in anyway free market capitalism.

TJ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Its a residential street. Any late night facility,

> in my opinion, should be located in a more

> commercial area of ED or perhaps in the grounds of

> the Hospital on ED Grove.

> There are no local transport links, and from what

> i can see of the application, the intention is to

> put a nissan hut / portacabin in the garden

> overlooking Darrel Road.

> If the Surgery want a Pharmacy, then fine, by why

> open one round the back in a portacabin and have

> it open much later than the Surgery is open?

>

> For this reason I oppose the pharmacy.

>

> To look at the needle exchange issue, I do know

> the nursery next door (which is a community

> nursery) do gardening along the boundary. This

> area is where the youngest children play. I do not

> expect the vast majority of needle recipients will

> use any where near the surgery, but it only takes

> one idiot....

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3176292.stm

>

> I dont want one child to suffer due to the

> negligence of one idiot, and for that reason, I

> will happily state i do not want this exchange

> there.

>

> Finally, far be it for me to think the DMC

> Heathcare group only think of their bottom line,

> but I suspect this service is only being provided

> as it is something they can charge Southwark a

> great deal of money for. Dr Ravi Gupta would seem

> to be doing quite well already and i dont think he

> needs more money.

>

> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063458/Fa

> mily-doctors-firm-raking-1-8m-YEAR--patients-say-s

> urgery-appalling.html

Could not agree more with this post!

I suspect that the DMC doctors etc are still involved as Directors of a pharmacutical company and this is a quick way to rake in more money. It would be more appropriate to have a late night pharmacy opening up in an existing concern in North Cross Road or LL. At the last needle exchange public meeting local pharmacists stated that they would willingly operate a late night opening on a rota basis. It does seem odd to have a pharmacy in a portacabin

( if I have read the thread correctly) this would be less secure and attract those who want to get a few uppers/downers or whatever they are called. Come off the needles and you are welcome to break in to our portacabin for alternative drugs.

If you're not already aware there is to be a public meeting about this application next Tuesday - 21st August at East Dulwich Community Centre, 46-50 Darrell Road, SE22 9NL at 7:30pm. Representatives from the local health authority have been invited.

Office of Tessa Jowell MP