DiD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> urgh, she was getting much better, then annoyingly

> seemed to turn again, attacking me twice

> yesterday, including chasing me up the stairs! Big

> problem seems to be that she senses my fear, but

> yes I'm scared! She seems fine with the

> husband.... How long do I give this?!

There may well be setbacks, but if you've noticed a trend in improved behaviour you're heading in the right direction!! Keep your nerve and act cofident & calm even if you are nervous around her. Cats, along with dogs, horses etc., pick up on your energy and will mirror it. If you're nervous or scared, she will react to that. Stand tall and don't give her someone to chase. It's tiring, but it sounds as if you're all doing brilliantly in helping her settle into life as a calmer more well-adjusted cat.

That's a very good question...her previous owner fed her on demand, apparently, though I don't really know what that means in practice.

We feed her morning and night and leave a bowl of dry food for her to nibble on, so there should be no insecurity. Its probably too much food, and we need to wean it down somehow. But she is always asking for food even with the bowl of dry food always there, which she does eat, but the crack cocaine version of wet food we're giving her (Sheba) -- only because that's what she was fed before -- may indeed be contributing to her demands. But I'm loathe to wean her off of it right now for fear of causing further stress.

Kind will only eat Sheba, had one cat who wouldn't eat cat food so he had boiled chicken cats will only eat what they want to

She might just want you to play with her when she cries as she's still a kitten and they need to play and run wild I use those things on string she goes on and on if I don't play with her now as the other cat died December sadly

Have you tried cat nip 8 sprinkle it on her scratches and toys they go crazy then sleep

Keep us updated with her

Thanks Gaynor, we play with her, and she plays well on her own....she has a couple of balls that she carries and throws everywhere. She was a single cat before. She also has access to the outside....

This morning's shenanigans involved her sitting on the kitchen table (not allowed) and hissing at me when I told her no, get down, calmly and persistently. Defiant.

I do feel for you DiD. I've grown up with lots of cats and now have three that are part of our home.

To get your cat down from the kitchen table I would calmly flick some water from the kitchen tap at her. She will soon associate the feel of water (which most cats hate) to not wanting to sit on the kitchen table or anywhere else.

To add to the above, cats will gravitate to high spots to rest, they feel safer. Trying to move any creature from a point of safety and security can rile them. Because she had no access to outside in her home before, indoor space is probably much more important to her. Cats can be very territorial and unwillingness to share space can apply to humans as well as other cats.

It is not clear how old this cat is but the constant hunger seems a bit odd. Presumably early signs of hyperthyroidism has been ruled out? If a young cat that would not be relevant but wonder what vet says about feeding and diet? Might be worth a chat about Sheba- your crack cocaine description may be more accurate than you think.

Loving the cat behaviour expertise on here. Haven't ruled out hyperthyroidism, but she's less than 2 years old. Would it be possible?

As she settled a bit, (mostly only angry with me, it seems -- she can smell my fear) we haven't brought her back to the Vet. We'll see how the next few weeks go. She is certainly territorial at times, but she also wants to be around us -- she follows us and rarely stays on her own anywhere except when she's sleeping, and at night we can see she's been in our room as we find her soft fluffy balls in the room. And oddly, her favourite space isn't up high its on a cushion on the floor.

I'm really really really missing my kind loving Burmese cat who died early last year :(

DiD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Loving the cat behaviour expertise on here.

> Haven't ruled out hyperthyroidism, but she's less

> than 2 years old. Would it be possible?

>

> As she settled a bit, (mostly only angry with me,

> it seems -- she can smell my fear) we haven't

> brought her back to the Vet. We'll see how the

> next few weeks go. She is certainly territorial at

> times, but she also wants to be around us -- she

> follows us and rarely stays on her own anywhere

> except when she's sleeping, and at night we can

> see she's been in our room as we find her soft

> fluffy balls in the room. And oddly, her favourite

> space isn't up high its on a cushion on the floor.

>

>

> I'm really really really missing my kind loving

> Burmese cat who died early last year :(

I think this is it your missing your old cat it's perfectly normal when one of my cats died a few years ago I kept looking for a cat but I wanted her back anyway after a year my hubby said let's go and get one I've never lived without a cat witch I did

I still miss one of mine that died December and the other one started to annoy me she's 15 but it was just greif then I felt horrible for feeling that way

Your cat loves you clearly.otherwise she would ingnore you

The way to train her is to get a spray water bottle and give her a shot when she's on the table

I trained all the ones I've had over the years with it as I have them in the kitchen as kitchen is small and frightened I could drop hot stuff on them they soon learn eventually