Baby passport - how long will it take in summer?

Hi all,

I'm going away in just over 4 weeks and still need to apply for my baby;'s first passport. I've filled in the form online and it's come back - I have the pics etc. I could probably get to the PO tomorrow to do check and send.

But worried it won't come back in time. Has anyone applied for one recently and can tell me how quickly they received it? I'm worried that this is peak time and so I may not get it in time.

Thanks, Kirsty

My brother tried to do this a few weeks ago - they were told at the PO that the 2 week check and send would be fine. 3 weeks later and 2 days before their holiday they hadn't received it. He called, and was advised that the only appointment available to obtain same day passport was in Durham. He therefore got the train the day before their holiday (a 10 hour round trip) to make sure they got it. A few days later I saw this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9416810/British-tourists-face-a-three-week-wait-for-a-passport.html

Seems like new passports are taking up to 6 weeks to obtain because of the backlog. Another friend is due to go to France in 4 weeks time with their 7 week old so I told her of the problem and she called the Passport office to get an appointment well in advance. The earliest she could get at Victoria was 3 weeks from now (just in time).

My advice would therefore be that you have no chance/guarantee with the postal service and you should call today to get the earliest appointment you can (otherwise you will be given Durham like my brother!)

Hope that helps - good luck!

one week fast track. worth every penny to not have to cancel flights and holidays. i have waited ages on the postal system. also, if there is any problem with the application i.e. the photos not being correct which happened for my baby, on the fast track appt you can still get it sorted on the same day.

One week fast track isn't always guaranteed though, like in my case. There weren't any problems with the application at all, we just randomly had extra checks applied to our referree as some passport applications are picked to have. You get the extra costs for fast tracking it refunded. Basically, don't rely on it only being a week long and leave as much time as possible to get a passport.

Or pay (alot) more and get an emergency passport appointment - we did this last year when I overlooked that my son's passport would expire while on holiday and only realised a couple of days before we were about to leave! Got an appointment for 11am on Saturday morning before our departure on the Monday. I was expecting to have to hang around all day - instead I walked in to the emergency passport centre at Victoria with an empty waiting room (!). Woman went through the passport application, stamped it and said his passport would be ready by 3pm that day! Went back at 3pm and volia - we had his passport!!!!

Yes - but at the moment you can't get 'emergency appointments' like that due to the Olympics etc - hence they are offering same day appointments in places like Durham as these type of offices are the only ones with availability. Unless you want to do the 10 hr round trip like my brother had to I would recommend calling now for the earliest appointment!