Beaches

We went to Whitstable on Saturday. It is not the prettiest, but it is very close, and the kids were delighted. It had sea and sand, fish and chips, and lots of happy children.

Other years we have gone slightly further down to Broadstairs, which is very pretty, but about double the distance.

Have fun

ahh, Camber Sands. Picture the scene. 2 little girls, aged about 5 and 7 (me and my sister), dresses tucked in knickers, paddling and pottering on the sand. Parents sitting higher up the beach, doubtless having a fag (this was the 70s). Tide is coming in. Unbeknownst to us, but perfectly visible to my parents, we are on a little rise in the sand, and the tide is coming in not just in front of us, but behind and all around us. Eventually we realise and have to wade through waist-deep water to get up the beach to get to parents who are p***ing themselves laughing. And then, we have to go and have lunch, sitting on a leatherette banquette in wet dresses and knickers. This was apparently our fault for not, as Ra's al Gul would say, minding our surroundings. 30-odd years later (I may be slightly underestimating this) it still rankles. And I bet my mum would still fall about laughing.

I think 'benign neglect' was all the rage in 70s parenting but that does sound rather extreme! My mum certainly embraced it, and in fact whenever I feel a bit bad for ignoring my son while sorting out house/ messing about on phone, I console myself that I'm freeing him to discover his own inner resources and strength, just like a 70s kid....

If going to Camber I would suggest you check out the local weather report before leaving London. We once drove all the way there to find that the wind was too strong to even sit on the beach (couldn't even get the wind break up), visibility was low and the kids couldn't open their eyes.