Oddbox local delivery

Sue

A while ago I got a flyer through my door advertising Oddbox (fruit and veg delivery service). I think they just deliver in London at the moment, including SE22.

I usually ignore stuff like this, but as there was 50% off the first box, I gave it a go.

They use up surplus and cosmetically challenged food (eg small onions, marks on the skin of avocados). I also got some delicious Asian-style pears, grown in this country as an experiment but then the crop was quite low and the retailer who was going to take them got cold feet.

I was mega impressed with the quantity and quality of the food. I got a massive box for ?7.50 (normally ?15). The avocados were much better than I've had from M&S, for example. For each thing, they tell you how to store it and how to use it (though usually obvious) and give a couple of recipes which use some of the veg.

Here's their website with details of the boxes (and the code for a discount - they seem to have various different ones, but the code given here for 50% off is CHANGE and there's one on Facebook also for 50% off giving IMPACT.)

https://www.oddbox.co.uk/home-box-2?gclid=Cj0KCQiAs67yBRC7ARIsAF49CdVr1AzcUaNRlP_JrBwlewnwN8A1XxyME6eDiK6ibROEuhFpysuyrpMaAiXtEALw_wcB

If you still have your flyer, the code given on that was also valid to the end of February, although it said JANsomething, can't remember now.

I'm going to continue getting a box at full price every other week. You can cancel at any time and they tell you in advance what will be in the forthcoming box, in case you don't want particular things, and they will swap it.

I had some email correspondence with them, and their communication was excellent.

I'm not getting anything for recommending them, btw :)) though I think you save a fiver if you recommend someone, but I presume that's if they sign up at full price, without the discount code.

They deliver overnight (mine came in the early morning), they obviously don't get you out of bed, but text you to remind you to get the box!

ETA: I wasn't sure what section to post this in, so admin please move it if it doesn't belong here.

Months back a friend went to work for them, spent her time unwrapping veggies from plastic (as would be sold in supermarkets) to make it look like loose produce. I don't think they're always entirely up front about their supplies. A lot is excess, not misshapen.

and yes, I have used them in the past. I had a query, and it took ages to sort.

Yes, some is surplus, as I said :), which would otherwise go to waste.

They do send some things wrapped in plastic, and that is clearly stated, eg I got blueberries in a plastic container and some living lettuce in a plastic wrap. I imagine that is how they came from the supplier.

I wouldn't have thought they would want to spend time unwrapping things from plastic unnecessarily, so I'm guessing a) they had to remove any distinguishing labels as to where the produce came from and/or b) they wanted to split the packs into smaller quantities to put in the boxes (the smallest size is just for one or two people).

I had a few queries and they were all answered by email within a few hours.

I will make enquiries about whether they repack stuff, but I'd be very surprised if they are doing it to make themselves look "better".

We absolutely love getting our weekly Oddbox delivery. I deliberately don't check the website ahead for details of 'what's in the box', as it's such fun to open it on the day and see what the goodies are inside. We get the weekly large fruit and veg box, and I would say it's very good value for money. We get fruit and veg that are simply not available near where we live - last week it was bright red Asian Pears, and the week before we got some Jerusalem Artichokes that add a lovely earthiness to any soup. We regularly get rainbow carrots, that are so vibrant in colour.

In addition, I really enjoy reading the little pamphlet that comes with the box and explains what's inside, and where it originated, and there's always a weekly recipe or two. Really adds a personal touch. They're very upfront about what goods are simply surplus, as opposed to odd shaped etc. We've had some cracking shapes and sizes of fruit though - gigantic pears and apples, and also tiny versions of them too. We've been getting kiwis that are double or triple the regular size! It's mostly loose produce in the box, but sometimes they'll have things like spinach, salad, blueberries, grapes etc in plastic packaging, which is possibly unavoidable?

I also think it's great for my kids to see different types of fruit and veg, as opposed to the regular repetitive offerings in our local supermarket.

We also use Field & Flower for our regular free range meat and fish box. They're multi-award winning and sell top quality traceable goods. Their boxes are fully customisable - unlike Oddbox - which is great as we change the contents of ours regularly.

I have been getting a large veg box every week since the start of the year. I would say it is very good value, aside of the huge benefit of saving surplus and non-standard veg. We should all be doing more of this. It is challenging this time of the growing year with a higher quota of root veg than you would normally eat, but we should also be following the season's crops - so all good.

However, having said all this, I have just put a temp hold on a delivery as I have a stock pile of veg. My recommendation is that you do need to be cooking a lot at home to effectively use all the box.

PlantPower Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My recommendation is that you do need to be

> cooking a lot at home to effectively use all the

> box.

Yes, I agree.

I live by myself (though my partner is here at weekends and sometimes during the week) but I got the "small family of three" fruit and veg box because I am currently on a plant based diet and I eat a lot of fruit and veg.

Because I wasn't sure how big it would be, I set it up to get once every two weeks, and I'm glad I did because there was a massive amount in it (plus I have an allotment :)) )

But if you usually buy ready meals, or get takeaways, or eat out a lot, you'd be hard pressed to use up all the contents of the box, I reckon!

But it has made me look up new recipes, which is great!

ETA: And there's always soup (just shove it all in a saucepan with some water and a veggie stock cube, use a stick blender, then add some croutons or something if you want a bit of crunch). And if you really had loads too much, you could freeze some for another time.

Or roast veggies, for the root stuff (and other things as well, like peppers). Just cut them up and shove them in the oven with a bit of oil and some herbs .....

Hi Sue

Yes I agree about using the fortnightly and a smaller vog/fruit box. I am vegan too but have to cook for a non-vegan child as well. So cooking is a game of 2 halves for me. My child isn't keen on eating my version sadly.

Yes the standard vegan core meals are soup/salads/smoothies and stir frie,s I would suggest. I too am more than happy using new recipes and fiddling around with prep. So I can get through the volume of legumes!

I would just comment that you appear to be very overly positive about Oddbox, hence either a friend/family or employee of the company. It is a bit unnerving that you are going so far to be a fan! I am a passionate vegan myself, but we can't advocate a single company or product if we are actually commercially connected.

Plants and peace. M

I've got nothing whatsoever to do with Dropbox, and I don't know anybody who has.

I had never heard of it until I got a flyer through my door.

I have been enthusiastic about many other companies and people on here who I've had good experiences with, eg Don Simpson an excellent car mechanic, Russell Perrin an excellent roofer, SBJ Windows an excellent sash window company, and the new people who are delivering excellent burritos in the area.

And many more.

Do you think I have some connection with all of those too, apart from having used them?

FFS!

ETA: Why can't we advocate a single company unless we have a connection with them?

I haven't had any other veg boxes in London, so far as I recall. I think I had an Able and Cole box once but not in London. I wasn't sufficiently impressed to continue with it, but my daughter (not living in London) likes them.

So far as I know, Dropbox is the only company using fruit and vegetables which would otherwise go to waste, which is another point in their favour, but because of that I was expecting them to be a bit crap, so I was amazed at the good quality.

Very sorry if I should have toned my enthusiasm down and just said they were "just about OK", but if they had been I wouldn't have bothered to post on here :))

Other people have backed up what I've said about them. Do you think they have some connection to Dropbox too??? Is it a conspiracy??? :)) :)) :))

ETA: Looking through your posts, Plant power, I see you have recommended a landscape gardener. Are you related to or in some way connected to him? Is he a friend of yours? (I'm only joking, btw).

It's true that there are often false recommendations on here, but they are usually easily spotted because the poster slags off similar local businesses whilst praising one to the skies.

Some of these have become infamous in forum lore over the years :)) :)) :))

ETA: The only person I've ever recommended on here who I have a connection with is Max Rush, a photographer and calligrapher, and to the best of my recollection I have always said that he is a friend of mine.

PlantPower Wrote:

>

> I would just comment that you appear to be very

> overly positive about Oddbox, hence either a

> friend/family or employee of the company. It is a

> bit unnerving that you are going so far to be a

> fan!

What a strange comment to make. I'd say the primary reason I use the EDF is to get and make recommendations for companies/people I rate. I'm sure this is probably true for a great deal of other users. What is so different about what Sue has done? Personally I'm glad of her post as I'm a big Oddbox fan and was only too happy to add my personal recommendation too, and to recommend Field & Flower.

> I am a passionate vegan myself, but we can't

> advocate a single company or product if we are

> actually commercially connected.

>

> Plants and peace. M

This is an even strange comment, considering that in one of your previous posts you appear to do just that :)

Sue Wrote:

> I haven't had any other veg boxes in London, so

> far as I recall. I think I had an Able and Cole

> box once but not in London. I wasn't sufficiently

> impressed to continue with it, but my daughter

> (not living in London) likes them.

I used to use Local Greens (not sure if they're still going) but couldn't get past all the leeks I seemed to accumulate, so I'm very glad to have found Oddbox :)

tarafitness Wrote:

> PlantPower Wrote:

> ----------------------------------------------

>

> > I am a passionate vegan myself, but we can't

> > advocate a single company or product if we are

> > actually commercially connected.

> >

> > Plants and peace. M

>

>

> This is an even strange comment, considering that

> in one of your previous posts you appear to do

> just that :)

>

Oh, well spotted Tarafitness!

So, PlantPower, it appears you have a company which you have advertised on this forum and which inter alia supplies veg boxes locally.

In view of that information, would you perhaps like to explain your comments to me?

Doesn't put you in a very good light, does it?

I think you've shot yourself in the foot there :))

ETA: I've just looked at the post again, and it says recipe boxes not veg boxes.

Hello agitated plant eaters :-)

No to all of the criticisms, I am glad to say. I am not involved in any plant-based business, although I had a passing interest in possible catering. I am a happy user of Oddbox and that is all. I have passed on itel about good garden tradesmen from experience on request. I hope this puts all of your minds to rest.

Let's all just enjoy the pleasure of plant based food and spread the love :-) I was simply a little perplexed by the sheer unbridled enthusiasm for a simple box of surplus / non standard fruit and veg. Peace. Home to cook something creative from my large stockpile of potatoes, onions, cabbage and carrots :-) :-)

PlantPower Wrote:

> Hello agitated plant eaters :-)

>

> No to all of the criticisms, I am glad to say. I

> am not involved in any plant-based business,

> although I had a passing interest in possible

> catering. I am a happy user of Oddbox and that is

> all. I have passed on itel about good garden

> tradesmen from experience on request. I hope this

> puts all of your minds to rest.

>

> Let's all just enjoy the pleasure of plant based

> food and spread the love :-) I was simply a little

> perplexed by the sheer unbridled enthusiasm for a

> simple box of surplus / non standard fruit and

> veg. Peace. Home to cook something creative from

> my large stockpile of potatoes, onions, cabbage

> and carrots :-) :-)

I'm very confused.

If you are a happy user of Oddbox, why would you think I had some ulterior motive in recommending Oddbox?

And this was your post on 11 December, which appears to be about a business specifically about plant-based food?:

Are you interested in trying plant-based food, but don't know what to buy, cook or eat?

Would you like delicious and nutritious meals delivered as recipe boxes or pre-prepared meals? Are you planning a dinner or party and want vegan or vegetarian catering? Or are you looking for an eating plan - with nutrition information, shopping lists and quick/easy recipes?

We are a group of trained and experienced local cooks, passionate about modern meat/dairy free food, along with all the health and weight loss benefits this brings. We are launching in January, but would love to pre-test great new meals and snacks beforehand!

PM us here for more info, including special offers on recipe boxes and meal delivery. We also have a 30-day introductory vegan eating plan for Veganuary. Try this to discover how plants are optimum nutrition for our bodies!

Archived