Grace and Favour is closing!

No wonder they were so bad-tempered when I went in there a couple of weeks ago!

But actually, despite my horrendous experience of being frog-marched out during a lampshades contretemps, I do sympathise. I have fond memories of meeting friends in there for many a lovely brunch when they used to serve food. Maybe they shouldn't have given it up?

wee quinne

I am sorry to have doubted you. We just walked down our road to see what was going on. The writing is on the "window" - there is a clothes sale tomorrow and a number of other dates and then that will be it. The sign thanks people for 15 years of service and happy memories.

When I moved to Northcross Road there was just Blue Mountain and Grace and Favour - this is a very sad day for local business.

However, there was chink of light under the blinds at Blue Mountain and I am delighted to say that evidence of a refurbishment is very present - lots of ladders, tools etc etc. Can't wait to see the new place - lots of luck to Mel and the team.

Helen

That's very sad. I used to like browsing in there (though I have to admit to not having bought very much). I liked it it best when it was a cafe too. Good luck to them in whatever they're doing next. Wonder what will open up there instead?

Never worked as a cafe because the small space Rose had was clogged with mums and babies not eating. That is why she closed the food part. It is a lovely shop, but she doesn't live in London anymore so having it must be a hassle.

Fi, who went on to work at the original Jack's, used to be a chef/cook there. The food was sublime.

Alot of independent businesses (and I am not being negative here)in East Dulwich close and re-open under new names. For example, The Black Cherry on Lordship Lane closed and re-opened as The Draft.Grace & Favour is in a prime spot on North Cross Road. Yes, it sad to see the store close and Rose is a lovely woman and I wish her the best. I'd give it three weeks if that until Grace & Favour is re-opened under a new name or business.

it's going to be called the "blue thai brick corner mountain cafe"

vegan menu

dirty-chic, for ambience

car boot sale cups and cutlery - adds to taste!

reasonably high priced - cheap is sooo yesterday! (the inflation is rather high after all)

etc...