9.5month old can't keep anything down

Strawbs

I recalled this thread from May, someone with similar symptoms in an adult. http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,885770,885941#msg-885941 This was very much like what I had. Mr Saff and Little Saff were worse affected but recovered more quickly than I did. So in that sense, maybe the D&V is not a bad thing. Not much of a silver lining, I know, but better than nothing I guess? xx

Still no improvement here for baby strawbs so after third gp visit today (at their request), they have said if no improvement over weekend it's a trip to a&e as they really aren't sure what it is especially as he has no other symptoms such as fever.. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that as I'd like to avoid a&e like the plague!

We had a night of screaming last night and him being so uncomfortable he didn't even want to be held somim hoping for his sake it goes soon!

X

Oh dear! :-( So samples were negative, but your LO still has D&V? When Little Saff had a much worse gastro bug last year (compared to what she's had recently), our GP said persistant diarrhoea (5+ days) tended to be 2ndry bacterial infection. But he also said that it does sometimes happen that stool samples in particular give a false negative. Did your GP offer any advice about antibiotics?

Saff - samples not back til next week unfortunately. He said sometimes they need antibiotics but would need to be diagnosed first with something other than a virus and if we end up at a&e that they will retake samples and process immediately..

Blue - thank you for that, very good to know! Makes me feel at ease about being stuck in a waiting room with a sick and crying baby..

X

Hmm antibiotics are a double-edged sword for gastro bugs anyway. I mean, even if your LO really does need antibiotics, the drugs themselves can deplete beneficial gut flora, possibly causing more gut upset. What about probiotics in the meantime?

Despite some recent scepticism, I did look into this (b/c Little Saff likes yakult/actimel). It does seem that the consensus is that probiotics can be useful in treating infant diarrhoea and would also be beneficial in replacing lost gut flora if antibiotics are needed. You can buy common probiotics in a poweder form I think. These could be added to whatever drink your LO keeps down best.

Hope things impove over the weekend for you. xx