Cemeteries now open except for services, Camberwell New on Sundays, others daily

This is silly nit picking.

The minister said that all parks and cemeteries should remain open (or if they were closed to be reopened):

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/communities-secretary-robert-jenrick-on-covid-19-response-18-april-2020

"Firstly, there have been examples of some parks around the country closing.

This cannot be right.

While the virus does not discriminate, we know that the lockdown is much harder for people who don?t have a lot of living space, who don?t have a garden, and who don?t have anywhere for their children to run around.

People need parks.

That?s why I have made it clear to councils that all parks must remain open.

For the health of the nation, people should be able to safely enjoy fresh air and green space.

And, for the health of the nation, people must abide by social distancing rules and not congregate in groups in parks."

The reality is that in a densely populated area like Southwark, cemeteries particularly the older ones have a dual use as a place to walk as well as visit graves. Indeed for people have walked through cemeteries for centuries. For many people it's interesting to read inscriptions on gravestones, providing a connection back to the past and memories of an area, even if your family came from elsewhere.

Let's hope Southwark will finally reopen the gates, even if it remains unable to be transparent and acknowledge it was wrong.

Camberwell Old Cemetery

Coronavirus (COVID-19) service update

In line with updated guidance from national government, from 25 April, Camberwell Old Cemetery is open to the public daily. Opening times are:

8.30am to 8.30pm in April

8.30am to 9pm in May

This brings the closing time in line with Southwark?s other parks and open spaces during the emergency period, to give everyone additional time to visit safely while maintaining social distancing. You can find closing times for parks and open spaces throughout the year on this webpage.

Cemetery closure for funerals

The cemetery will be closed when funerals are taking place to help make the area safer for grieving family and friends, at an incredibly difficult time. Please note that some closures for funerals may be at short notice; we appreciate your patience and understanding.

Guidance for visitors

In line with government guidance, we are opening cemeteries in Southwark to allow those who have lost loved ones the opportunity to pay their respects. Please respect our cemeteries as places of reflection by following this guidance:

stay on the paths and not on lawns unless attending to a grave

do not enter wooded areas

cemeteries should only be used for exercise in line with national guidance (one form of exercise per day, no group gatherings)

please keep all dogs on leads to assist with social distancing. Commercial dog walking is not allowed in cemeteries at this time

staff are focusing on maintaining a safe, quiet and respectful environment for grieving families during these difficult times. Abuse of our staff will not be tolerated

Toilets remain closed at this time. The Bereavements Services offices located in Camberwell New Cemetery remain open for current funeral enquires only via the kiosk service, all other enquiries are via email: [email protected] or telephone 0207 525 5600.

Blue Badge visitors with vehicle access is by appointment only. Please contact the Bereavement Services office 48 hours in advance to make arrangements for the gates to be opened. Funerals

The number of attendees to a funeral is currently limited to ten. This is in line with neighbouring authorities and professional body guidance and is to help with social distancing measures.

Forest Hill Road, London, SE22 0RU

Entrance - Forest Hill Road

New cemetery was closed and locked up when I tried to walk through today. I understand there may be increased frequency of funerals but I don?t see why they can?t keep open a direct route through the vast cemetery to allow people to travel between Honor oak park to branchlet garden. With the railway line it means you are really restricting flows people rely on. From what I gather from Southwark?s website the new cemetery is still closed but with opening window on sundays only. Needless to say the place is deserted when I was there today but with activity in and around the chapel ( but like i said a route could be established to stay well clear of all this? )

Anyway not the end of the world but frustrating that the council isn?t trying to keep open as much open space as possible.

Hi Sissi, unfortunately Camberwell New Cemetery and Crematorium are very busy. It is open on a Sunday for people to visit graves of their loved ones as there are services being held there on other days of the week. Camberwell Old and Nunhead Cemeteries are open on days when there are not services taking place in those cemeteries.

Renata

Hi Renata,

As a councillor do you have access to the new cemetery burial figures now and projected, and how this compares with this time last year and the year before?

You may not be familiar with the cemetery and how it?s used but the chapel and new burial zones can quite easily be avoided if a walk through detour route was established. The current detour route of taking people into the rec field and then funnel down a very long enclosed very narrow path to the north east is simply dangerous and incompetent (and contradicting the 2m personal space posters up in the cemetery &rec). Even if the brenchley gardens main access is required all day / all week for continuous funerals - then the council should utilise some of the disused and historically locked gate points on the north west boundary to brenchly gardens (near kelvington Rd. turning) allowing the north/ south route from Honor oak park to brenchley to be retained safely.

I?m sorry but I still think this has been poorly actioned by Southwark, even in the context of the grim times and obvious use requirements of some areas of the open space.

Hi Sissi,

as a ward councillor I am very familiar with the Cemetery.

Camberwell New unfortunately currently has 3x the normal number of services. Our small group of burial and cemetery staff are currently very stretched at this difficult time. There are not the Harris barriers available for this nor the staff available to do what you suggest. If you wish to go to Honor Oak Rec,you can always walk the long way round via Forest Hill Road. If you are walking in the Brenchley Gardens area, you can walk through Brenchley Gardens and then cross Forest Hill Road to Camberwell Old Cemetery or walk down the Hill to Peckham Rye Park as alternative places to exercise.

Renata

Why do you think the locals need to be repelled with Harris barriers? - you just need a signed route. People don?t want to go near a funeral in the chapel or active burial zone. My point to you is: are you aware of the route people have currently been diverted to, to the north east of the Rec? As per my previous posts? - I suggest you go and have a look and appraise. I would be keen to know if you think the route is a good idea.

Thanks

Sissi81 - well said, the alternative route is about 1m wide and impossible to social distance on.

From what we've seen you will not get sense out of people in Southwark Council on this, they'll just keep on saying anything to justify its actions, even when presented with law or facts showing them to be wrong.

Also worth remembering even if there are 3 x funerals, the rules mean the funerals are much smaller, so easier to discretely walk around.

Camberwell Old Cemetery is closed (at least the southern, Langton Rise gate is) for funerals. Although we were notified of this, it would be useful if a sign could be put on the locked gate to that effect, with the proviso - 'the gates will be opened when the funeral(s) is/ are over'. In that way those planning to go into the cemetery and finding the gates locked would know this was only temporary. I've thought, twice this week, that we had moved back to full lock-down of the cemetery and given up on visiting that day. I'm afraid arbitrary actions by Councils have become the norm now, so we begin to think the worst.

Hi Penguin

I will ask officers. It's difficult as they are short staffed and very busy at the moment. Also, some of the funerals ate being organised at very short notice. The majority of services are in Camberwell New Cemetery, hence why it is only open on Sunday. Nunhead and Camberwell Old are also having services and both had closures last week for this reason. Burials can happen in any areas of any of the cemeteries as many of the graves are double/family plots which are available for additional family interments.

Renata