Opening up local school playing fields for exercise

Jakido

If people have been sunbathing, gathering in groups, cycling, littering, playing football and letting their dogs crap on the fields then I can only imagine that they?ve had to think better of their offer to open the fields to the public. This pandemic seems to have sorted people neatly into 2 broad categories, ars*holes and non ars*holes.

hellosailor Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If people have been sunbathing, gathering in

> groups, cycling, littering, playing football and

> letting their dogs crap on the fields then I can

> only imagine that they?ve had to think better of

> their offer to open the fields to the public. This

> pandemic seems to have sorted people neatly into 2

> broad categories, ars*holes and non ars*holes.

Yes we were saying that....

I reckon about 90% of people are behaving responsibly and going about their normal business (a new normal of course). About 5% are misbehaving and about 5% going off on one about people misbehaving. I'm in the 90% and happy to celebrate the good behaviour, community spirit and the like, hoping that we can build on this in our new world. This part of the Forum is supposed to be helpful/useful. I'm not sure about how useful it is to go on about the behaviour of others, and using terms like 'morons' isn't helpful to say the least.

It?s absolutely legitimate for lindylou to refer to people who are risking other people?s lives as morons. Polite, considering. I?m loving the community spirit and finding small things to celebrate about people?s empathy and generosity each day but living with 2 family members who may well not survive if they get the virus certainly sharpens the mind when considering the extraordinarily antisocial, selfish, irresponsible behaviour of people who presumably don?t feel that they?re personally at much risk and simply don?t care how many people are put at risk - of actually you know, dying - because they reaalllly want to meet a few mates for a kick about in a space that has been made available for people to get some fresh air without risking themselves or others. So no, it?s not just a crotchety, square 5% who are finding it really disappointing and worrying. It?s a serious issue.

I don?t understand how people can?t recognise the seriousness but its still happening. If you are able to use the open spaces and see others not using it as intended have a quiet word. Tell them you didn?t see the sign at first / your experience / someone you know of or are worried about.

They may not take it well then but may think about it later and change their behaviour. Odd as it may seem not everyone thinks in the same way. The ?official? advice isn?t totally clear either and there is plenty of conflicting information. Is it any wonder people have different interpretations?

If you are choosing not to go out Weatherman Walking on BBC iPlayer is taking me on virtual walks along the Welsh Coast

Yup. The idea that having anxiety about people ignoring the advice and risking people?s lives is what is unhelpful in the current situation is both spectacularly irresponsible and misguided. We must adhere to the guidance. Being anxious about people ignoring it doesn?t make you a whinger.

AylwardS Wrote:

> I don?t understand how people can?t recognise the

> seriousness but its still happening. If you are

> able to use the open spaces and see others not

> using it as intended have a quiet word. Tell them

> you didn?t see the sign at first / your experience

> / someone you know of or are worried about.

>

> They may not take it well then but may think about

> it later and change their behaviour. Odd as it may

> seem not everyone thinks in the same way. The

> ?official? advice isn?t totally clear either and

> there is plenty of conflicting information. Is it

> any wonder people have different interpretations?

>

> If you are choosing not to go out Weatherman

> Walking on BBC iPlayer is taking me on virtual

> walks along the Welsh Coast

The advice is pretty much crystal clear. No one with two brain cells to rub together thinks the advice means it?s cool to meet pals for a 5 a side match (seen this several times) or a picnic. Or to let their dog crap all over a school playing field which is a criminal act in normal times let alone the current time. People aren?t doing that stuff because they?re confused about the guidelines. We can?t control the behaviour of others but let?s not pretend it?s all a big old misunderstanding and they haven?t understood what we?ve been asked to do to save lives.

hellosailor Wrote:

> Yup. The idea that having anxiety about people

> ignoring the advice and risking people?s lives is

> what is unhelpful in the current situation is both

> spectacularly irresponsible and misguided. We must

> adhere to the guidance. Being anxious about people

> ignoring it doesn?t make you a whinger.

Agreed and how ironic that those who are so keen to leap on a hypothetical ?5%? for being ?whingers? and overly anxious are themselves exhibiting the very kind of behaviour policing they say should stop.

Cheers to the people who's idea of exercising is sitting on a blanket. Well played. It was really nice to have somewhere to run for a while. Now the field has been shut. As a runner I'm hounded for running in the park, hounded for running on the path. I don't want to get anywhere near other people in the slightest, so the only place now left to run is in the road, dodging in and out of traffic. Can we have another try, and those who want to "exercise" by chatting with their family, could perhaps do this on their own sofa???

first mate Wrote:

> hellosailor Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Yup. The idea that having anxiety about people

> > ignoring the advice and risking people?s lives

> is

> > what is unhelpful in the current situation is

> both

> > spectacularly irresponsible and misguided. We

> must

> > adhere to the guidance. Being anxious about

> people

> > ignoring it doesn?t make you a whinger.

>

> Agreed and how ironic that those who are so keen

> to leap on a hypothetical ?5%? for being

> ?whingers? and overly anxious are themselves

> exhibiting the very kind of behaviour policing

> they say should stop.

I think Malumbu's original point (hope I'm not misrepresenting him/her) was that 90%+ of people are being compliant and we should celebrate that. All the government's original models assumed Brits wouldn't take well to a lockdown compared to, say, Chinese citizens, but in fact it still has overwhelming support amongst the public and the vast majority are behaving well. Of course there will always be a small minority that act like 'morons' but let's try to focus on the huge behavioural changes (unthinkable even six weeks ago) that as a society we've all adapted to. Christ knows this situation is depressing enough without fixating on a few people sunbathing or kicking a ball about.

And no, I'm not condoning that behaviour, before anyone jumps on me, nor am I 'policing' anyone else's views, just trying to see the positivies in the overall picture.

In deed, thank you, although I wasn't suggesting that the government thought that Brits wouldn't behave themselves. An interesting parallel with the Blitz is that the powers that be didn't think that the working class had the stomach for an intensive bombing campaign, no doubt as the working class did not have the breading and education. The destruction of Coventry was probably the best example of how wrong this was within a day or so communities pulling together, and trying to return to some sort of normality with shops opening one way or another. I'm using this as a parallel example rather than all the general nonsense about blitz spirit, that also included racketeering, looting and pilfering.

I've left my discussion mainly to the lounge and generally constructive. This is no laughing matter but at times I can be facetious to support my argument. I browse other threads, but the comment 'morons' just got me. I expect that there are other 'morons' posting on this thread that filled up their boots with tinned food, toilet paper and flour in March.

At times this thread feels like vigilantism by proxy. Interesting to see some of the reports of police being unnecessarily inundated with calls including some wishing to settle old scores with neighbours https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-lockdown-uk-neighbour-police-call-nhs-a9464231.html And everyone's favourite on line newspaper (The Daily Hate) ran two stories separated by four days at the end of March, the first a story urging people not to bother the police unnecessarily, the second the opposite (grass on your neighbours).

Anyway, back to the positive, I'm hoping that Nunhead cemetery will be reopening, a great place for a walk, and a brief reflection as we are now being allowed to do. Stay healthy and safe. I've been scared off visiting Dulwich Park with the aggressive joggers and Lordship Lane, so I suppose I have got people here to thank.

As a resident living next to the field and in contact with the Bursar?s office at Alleyn?s there seems to be no reason why the field has been locked this weekend.The school is looking into what happened as I write. Unless they are residents the people in the field have no doubt climbed over the railings. I think that Alleyn?s wouldn?t want that to become a habit!

Malambu said : At times this thread feels like vigilantism by proxy. Interesting to see some of the reports of police being unnecessarily inundated with calls including some wishing to settle old scores with neighbours [www.independent.co.uk] And everyone's favourite on line newspaper (The Daily Hate) ran two stories separated by four days at the end of March, the first a story urging people not to bother the police unnecessarily, the second the opposite (grass on your neighbours).

You seem a decent cove Malambu but there you go again. You may feel that some of us are overly anxious, or just not ?positive? enough, but the inference that those who do not completely share your views or perspective are ?vigilantes by proxy? with the subtle hint that the same may possibly take cues and values from the ?Daily Hate? and might be the types to grass up neighbours to settle old scores is all a bit OTT and provocative don?t you think? Perhaps you did not mean it that way, I hope not.

Understand the use of ?morons? might have got you riled but your sly digs are no better really.

I have no time for the Daily Hate. It consistently is top or near top when you Google about current affairs. I'm certainly not inferring that the majority of SE22 get there information from this dreadful rag (we've all been to the shops at the weekend and seen the Guardians and Observers piled to the ceiling).

In the 1930s the Spectator commented after the Mail had come out in support of that lovely/misunderstood Oswald Moseley: "the Blackshirts, like the Daily Mail, appeal to people unaccustomed to thinking. The average Daily Mail reader is a potential Blackshirt ready made."

To me this view still stands, but I am rather digressing and this deserves a thread on its own some other time.

I was on the Alleyn's Field yesterday and there were people playing footie using the full size goals and inviting passers by to join in their game...fortunately the passers by walked on but later some did join.

Altogether there were about 7 lots of footie with various age groups and combinations so I've found somewhere else to go now as it is impossible to actually walk briskly around the perimeter

Looking out on Alleyn?s field during the week was like watching a promotional video for a holiday camp. Children cycling, teenagers skateboarding on the tennis courts, people sunbathing......meanwhile in hospitals and care homes not very far away.......

Glemham Wrote:

> Looking out on Alleyn?s field during the week was

> like watching a promotional video for a holiday

> camp. Children cycling, teenagers skateboarding on

> the tennis courts, people

> sunbathing......meanwhile in hospitals and care

> homes not very far away.......

But none of those things by themselves spread the virus, do they? I've been for a walk there several times this week and have seen several families kicking a ball about, couples doing yoga together, a very small child on a bike, lots of people walking or jogging round the perimeter. Loads of space for everyone. OK, so the small child shouldn't have been on the bike according to the rules but I found it hard to feel anything but pleasure watching him wobbling about. Maybe I've been lucky in the times I've gone (early evening) but I was struck by how nice it was to see the space being put to good use and people clearly getting so much out of it. To draw a direct line between someone sitting in the sun and people dying in hospital is pretty hysterical, in my book. This space opening up has been a wonderful resource for the community - can we have a bit less relentless negativity please?

redjam Wrote:

> Glemham Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Looking out on Alleyn?s field during the week

> was

> > like watching a promotional video for a holiday

> > camp. Children cycling, teenagers skateboarding

> on

> > the tennis courts, people

> > sunbathing......meanwhile in hospitals and care

> > homes not very far away.......

>

> But none of those things by themselves spread the

> virus, do they? I've been for a walk there several

> times this week and have seen several families

> kicking a ball about, couples doing yoga together,

> a very small child on a bike, lots of people

> walking or jogging round the perimeter. Loads of

> space for everyone. OK, so the small child

> shouldn't have been on the bike according to the

> rules but I found it hard to feel anything but

> pleasure watching him wobbling about. Maybe I've

> been lucky in the times I've gone (early evening)

> but I was struck by how nice it was to see the

> space being put to good use and people clearly

> getting so much out of it. To draw a direct line

> between someone sitting in the sun and people

> dying in hospital is pretty hysterical, in my

> book. This space opening up has been a wonderful

> resource for the community - can we have a bit

> less relentless negativity please?

The point of going out to exercise for ONE HOUR is so that EVERYONE gets a chance redjam....if families are setting up footie games etc (and it is not just families it is groups of young men who probably do not live together tackling and spreading) they are taking up a large space. Most families in ED have a garden so there is not much excuse to stay for longer than one hour

Walked past today and the litter inside the field contained a vegetarian Quorn packet and wrapper, poncy coffee container and tissues....

Sorry, I simply don't recognise the picture you're painting, seenbeen. I've been out for a walk or run every day since this lockdown began, either round the streets, or Peckham Rye, Dulwich Park or lately the field on Townley Road. Never have I found it impossible to move around safely - it's a bit harder on the streets, sure (though generally I just walk in the road), but it's always been perfectly easy when I've got to an open space, especially that big field. So I hardly think the odd small goup of people playing ball games is stopping the rest of us getting a chance to go out. And really, you have no idea whether they were a group of housemates that you saw, or indeed whether they have a garden or not - you can't possibly make that kind of judgement from afar. There are a lot more families in ED without gardens than you think - or they have ones that are so tiny you couldn't possibly use them for exercise. Have you tried keeping a kid inside for five weeks without any proper outlet for letting off steam, when all normal sport/extra-curricular activities have been cancelled?

Litter is unforgiveable in any circumstances though; that I will agree with.

There is a reason that the notice on the gate says no bikes and that is that Alleyn?s does not want people to cycle on this field, not even cute toddlers. The children living next to the field have been asked not to cycle at the weekends and have complied, so why not respect the request. Alleyn?s opened this field at the request of Southwark Council, and could easily close it again if it is misused, and then everybody would lose out especially those using it for exercise that they cannot otherwise get because they aren?t able to go out or don?t feel safe elsewhere.

If thinking about NHS and care home staff working in dire conditions whilst others sun themselves all day is ?pretty hysterical? and ?relentlessly negative? then I?m guilty as charged.