Booking appointment at King's

ecg

Hi all,

I've just had through my date for my booking appointment at King's - at Midwives House on Coldharbour Lane. I've read conflicting information in a couple of places - does anyone know if this will just be a chat and/or blood tests, or if it's likely to include a scan as well? I'll be ten weeks pregnant by that date... Just trying to get my head around when I'll tell work and how much time to anticipate having to take off in the next month or so for these appointments...

Cheers!

When I had my booking in appointment there a couple of months ago it was a blood test, urine test, weight and height measurements and then a history chat to fill in their paperwork. No scan. The whole process took about an hour BUT I had to wait an hour past my appointment time before I was seen so the whole process was about 2 hours. My appt was at 10am so would hate to think of the wait if I'd been later in the day!

The 12 week scan (which was in the main hospital) was shorter, maybe half an hour or 45 mins but the baby was being a bit difficult in terms of positions for their measurements. My 16 week midwife appointment was at my doctor's surgery and took about 10 mins.

Good luck!

Hi ECG

I had my booking appt at Kings - I was 10 weeks as well when I went. There won't be a scan (they don't have the equipment there I don't think, that is in the actual hospital), it will be a long chat, height and weight measurement, blood pressure check, urine check, blood tests (they take 4 vials of blood I think to send away for testing for HIV etc). They fill in your notes and you take them away with you. My appt took an hour I think.

You should get a separate letter appointment for your '12' week scan (which can happen up to 14 weeks I think - though I'm others will correct me if I'm wrong!). I had mine at 11+5 weeks - that took two hours (including scan, internal scan, blood pressure, height/weight check, blood test and waiting for scan results - it was v. efficient I thought!

Hope that helps

Andrea

PS when I say waiting for scan results I mean they have to wait for your blood test result to put that together with the NT measurement for downs.