What's going on over on the Rye?

fishbiscuits

Sepiroth. So what is the subtext, please state it ?

From what I saw there was a mix of people, protesting about disgusting events in USA, as a bunch of people they were invariably too close (inevitably), but with Cummings demonstrating the 'who cares' attitude it's a logical progression that people have continued and increased their trips to beach, parks and clearly felt comfortable protesting together.

There's a general relaxation everywhere it seems, which I really hope doesn't play-out as 2nd wave (but that unfortunately seems inevitable).

Agreed, BAME infection levels are nowt to do with gatherings like the protest and all to do with social / living conditions. Having said that, gathering such as yesterday will spread the virus if it's possible to. obvs.

Wow - what have I missed?

1. America still a deeply polarised society. Far more racism over the pond

2. Not helped by Trump

3. All accounts very soicially distanced protest - and as pointed out things far worse where people congregating elsewhere.

4. Don't use 'they' please - it comes across as casual racism. I know it was not intended but the number of times I've heard White neighbours and the like say in hushed terms "they would wouldn't they"

"..a mix of people, protesting about disgusting events in USA, as a bunch of people they were invariably too close.."

If you mean what I wrote malumbu, no I'll stick with what I wrote because I've made it clear I included all present which consisted many backgrounds. If I can't call a crowd 'they' well... not going there, I'm fine as is.

? We hear that Coronavirus affects the BAME community disproportionately higher, with behaviour such as this protest, you can begin to see reasons why.?

It?s barely a subtext to be fair. Snake is saying black peopel bring it on themselves? Or am I misreading and being unfair

Because if these protesters aren?t helping the spread of the virus, surely same is true of the large, mostly white gatherings at beaches this weekend. But i can?t see anyone saying ?white people bring it on themselves?

There will be a rise in London Covid cases soon

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-hundreds-flout-lockdown-rules-attend-illegal-party-042800782.html

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hundreds-join-london-protest-against-133042129.html

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/t-breathe-peckham-protests-over-201600623.html

I feel sorry for any London based very vulnerable people who've been locked in for nearly 10 weeks

I certainly wouldn't venture out for at least another 2 weeks after this lot on top of the beaches overcrowding.

Well from one of the Twitter links posted by Fox, it seems that the demonstrators were largely white. So if the subtext is that black south Londoners are somehow akin to "turkeys voting for Christmas", then... no. But maybe, if we're going to have this discussion, we might want to ask ourselves how we ended up with a society in which minorities were more likely to be working in front line jobs, while white people were more likely to be in office based jobs (currently safely working from home, thank you very much).

But nevertheless.. as I said before, controlling the spread of the virus is vitally important, and sometimes in life you need to be a bit pragmatic. I'm disgusted by Police brutality and racism (and yes of course it is very much an issue in the UK too), but it's a battle that will unfortunately still need to be fought for many years to come.