Royal Mail delivery

Abe_froeman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Was Helen Hayes still a local councillor when

> planning permission to demolish the Sylvester Road

> sorting office and turn it into luxury housing was

> granted?

Helen Hayes is our MP, not a councillor!

She did absolutely all she could to prevent the move of the delivery office to Peckham, as outlined earlier in the thread.

But I doubt she could have had any influence on local planning permission.

The Sylvester Road delivery office was in fact no longer fit for purpose. I can't remember exactly why.

However Royal Mail would not consider alternatives which would still have been based in East Dulwich.

Inspired by Lynne I went down to Highshore Rd for when they opened this morning. I explained that we had barely had any post for weeks and that three parcels posted at the start of December are missing, and showed my driving licence. The person at the counter went off for a while while I waited in hope and anticipation - and came back with one Christmas card! She said they are prioritising parcels so basically forget letters and that they are working through the night and on Sundays. But I don?t have high hopes of seeing any post this side of Christmas.

I wonder how much this will cost the postal service in refunds for lost or delayed Christmas gifts and other items that the retailers will be claiming back from royal mail ?

Could this be the death throes of Royal Mail especially with the inflation busting increase in postage costs coming and an agreement today to give postal workers a pay rise and shorter working hours ?

Whilst in normal years shop local would be the mantra, this year We are relying on the post and been badly let down

Bic Basher Wrote:

> It was Helen Hayes who wanted the Royal Mail to

> consider moving to premises in SE22 rather than

> moving to Peckham.

Yes, I was at a meeting where various suggestions were put forward, including moving to a unit on a local industrial estate (can't remember which one).

We are missing a large package sent from Australia on 18th Nov, also one card for one of my son?s arrived from to sent on same day from Australia. I can only assume the card - fell through the gaps but the package is large and whole family is disappointed that presents from their grandmother may never arrive. I understand that the poor staff are struggling but we?re feeling a little sad in our house.

And yet despite this terrible service, the share price is well up on 6 months ago, a month ago...I bet some very nice bonuses for the executives too.

I wonder how much money of the Royal Mail, sold off cheap, has gone from providing service to providing "profit"?

PSJ Wrote:

> And yet despite this terrible service, the share

> price is well up on 6 months ago, a month ago...I

> bet some very nice bonuses for the executives

> too.

>

> I wonder how much money of the Royal Mail, sold

> off cheap, has gone from providing service to

> providing "profit"?

Disgraceful.

We have had no mail since 16th December and when we had that it had been at least five days since the previous delivery. I guess we have had post a maximum of three times in December and it's now the 22nd. Although people rarely send Christmas cards in the post these days, we usually get around 25-30. This year 0.

No post for two weeks now. When I emailed the Highshorerd manager, he said they were short staffed and there was a high volume of post. I pointed out that Christmas couldn?t have come Asa surprise and that Covid had been around long enough to plan properly. It?s ridiculous..

No post for two weeks now. When I emailed the Highshorerd manager, he said they were short staffed and there was a high volume of post. I pointed out that Christmas couldn?t have come Asa surprise and that Covid had been around long enough to plan properly. It?s ridiculous..

tomskip Wrote:

> We have had no mail since 16th December and when

> we had that it had been at least five days since

> the previous delivery. I guess we have had post a

> maximum of three times in December and it's now

> the 22nd. Although people rarely send Christmas

> cards in the post these days, we usually get

> around 25-30. This year 0.

Hi Tomskip, you shouldn't have to, but I'd suggest going down to the Highshore Rd office today and collect what post they may have for you. I'll have another go today as still waiting for my Mum's Christmas parcel posted 1st class two weeks ago!

Sue Wrote:

> All very well for those who are able to go to the

> delivery office, but in the present circumstances

> many people can't.

And as post is a paid for delivery service, why should we have to go and collect it?

I do hope the sorting office manager is held accountable for their lack of actions over this dismal failure to provide a service that so many rely on.

Spartacus Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > All very well for those who are able to go to

> the

> > delivery office, but in the present

> circumstances

> > many people can't.

>

>

> And as post is a paid for delivery service, why

> should we have to go and collect it?

>

> I do hope the sorting office manager is held

> accountable for their lack of actions over this

> dismal failure to provide a service that so many

> rely on.

It's very hard to know where the fault lies. The post is bad all over the country at the moment, and although the move to Peckham has made ours much worse, it's hard to know how much autonomy the delivery manager has.

For example, was it his decision not to take on more temporary staff, or is there some edict from above?

It seems to me that privatisation is at the root of all this, as with trains etc.

As soon as there are shareholders, profit comes before service. In almost all cases.

Like many things, the country got what it voted for 😭😭😭

Absolutely, Sue.

Sue Wrote:

> Spartacus Wrote:

> -----

> > Sue Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > All very well for those who are able to go to

> > the

> > > delivery office, but in the present

> > circumstances

> > > many people can't.

> >

> >

> > And as post is a paid for delivery service, why

> > should we have to go and collect it?

> >

> > I do hope the sorting office manager is held

> > accountable for their lack of actions over this

> > dismal failure to provide a service that so

> many

> > rely on.

>

>

> It's very hard to know where the fault lies. The

> post is bad all over the country at the moment,

> and although the move to Peckham has made ours

> much worse, it's hard to know how much autonomy