Boys' names

Polly D

I am firmly in the unusual names camp, but my son's name appears once in this thread. We are now having a girl and I thought that girls names would be easy, but they're not. We've got 5 weeks to go and I am sorely tempted to start a girls names thread, but maybe everyone is a bit 'named out'.....

I also like unusual names and my son's name has been mentioned on here too! Although we call him Kit. We were going to call him Fletcher and I still really like it, but when he was born it just didn't somehow suit him. Also on the shortlist was Inigo, although I preferred Ingo, and Loki.

Mrs TP Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

>

>

> Saying that one of my girls has the middle name

> Loveday and not met any of those yet. Also caused

> a few sniggers at the Christening from the other

> family there having their children Christened but

> sod 'em I love it.

I wanted Loveday as my daughter's middle name! But my other half vetoed it. Great name!

My first son's name was and still is pretty popular - pretty sure was 14 or something in that popular names list the year he was born. I love it though. His shortened version is a v common name but less so in his generation (or so I thought - seem to meet one a week at the moment!) - so I was def going for the classic but not trendy vibe with that one. Second son's full name is pretty unusual (though mentioned once on this thread - Fuschia the name generator, I should have asked you for inspiration this time last year!)- I really love it too - but we shorten it to again a fairly common name, just not overly popular in this generation. I prob prefer his full name to be honest. So I think I fall in the middle of the two camps: I don't go for that outlandish choices (partly because I was restrained by husband!) but also have avoided ones which are particularly trendy at any given time. It's funny though...my 3.5 yr old has already changed what we call him twice, quite organically, to different variations, and now when asked will always introduce himself with his full name, which we rarely use. So I guess the kids will decide their names in the end!

Norfolkvillas Wrote:

> I am firmly in the unusual names camp, but my

> son's name appears once in this thread. We are

> now having a girl and I thought that girls names

> would be easy, but they're not. We've got 5 weeks

> to go and I am sorely tempted to start a girls

> names thread, but maybe everyone is a bit 'named

> out'.....

Oh I am sure discussing girls names would be fun! I had loads of ideas myself for girls names but only had one girl in the end ...

And I was just thinking again about the comment re: bullying... Sadly anyone with any name can be bullied and it's down to the bully unfortunately. In my year at school the names of people who were sadly bullied were things like Mark, Neil, Clare and Helen. I was never aware of serious bullying for names alone... And a very good friend of mine was called Arilda which is pretty unique!

Thanks - Hellosailor! But even the registrar laughed at the Town Hall and she must have seen some freaky names over the years, cheeky mare.

One of our brood once decided she was having a second middle name and hit on 'Tablecloth'. It stuck for a few years until I had to sit her down and explain that it really was not her middle name.

One of the 'best' blokes names I have ever tripped over is Stryker as in Stryker McGuire a US journalist.

I also know a grown up Heathcliff who gets shortened to Heath quite unusual.

See I started off on Peter and have ended up at Stryker ...

I love both Theo and Max.

When my little boy was born 2 years ago we were convinced that we were going to call him Theo. But when he arrived it just didn't suit . .

We called him Sid. Sidney Joseph is the full name but we always call him Sid unless he's been particularly naughty. I think it's the best name ever but then I'm extremely biased!!

Fuschia Wrote:

> Isn't it funny how once your child is named you

> can't imagine them by any other name?

>

> What names were short listed but not used?

>

> Child no 1 could have been Cai or Keir

> Daughter was intended to be Grainne if I ever had

> a girl, but in the end I chose a different name

> Latest child no inspiration struck - I toyed with

> Neirin to universal disapprobation

My second is Keir - a compromise name after we couldn't agree on our first choice. My eldest is a 'Linus'. I remeber telling my sister what we were going to call him and the phone went silent for a few minutes - unusual for my sister. Glad to see that both names are going even further DOWN the popularity charts than they even used to be.....No others in their classes, no others in their school....

hpsaucey Wrote:

> Fuschia Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Isn't it funny how once your child is named you

> > can't imagine them by any other name?

> >

> > What names were short listed but not used?

> >

> >

I called my daughter a very pretty name that I do really like, objectively, but it was not on our list at all when I was pregnant, because although I like it it obviously wasn't one of my top 10 even!

My partner just wouldn't agree to any of the names I was keen on, including one I had set my heart on and mentally attached to the baby while pregnant, secretly sure I could persuade him! Mistake! I thought watching me go through labour would swing it but no!

I'm not sure what the answer is when you can't agree, other than going further and further down a list so that you compromise on one that was not on either of your lists, which feels a bit counter intuitive, but seemed to be the only way sometimes. My daughter is 19 months now and it's only really in the last few months that I have been able to call her by her name instead of a gazillion pet names, and only recently that I've stopped feeling a pang of disappointment when someone uses her name, I know that's awful! I do like the name, which is good, I just had no intention of calling a child by the name!

Perhaps naively I assumed when I imagined having children that I would call them names that made my heart sing every time I heard them called or saw them written down, that I felt totally suited them down to the ground, but I guess when I imagined that I was a moony teenager who wasn't factoring in that two people would be involved in making the decision!

I know quite a few people who feel a bit shaky about the names they've called their children, some people who regularly say 'I so wish we hadn't called him x, I really don't like it now!', or 'It so doesn't suit her, what were we thinking!', and 2 friends who have changed their babies names at about 8 months and 1 year (different friends), as they just couldn't get used to them at all. Some of their friends were horrified apparently, but others said it was a no-brainer if they had found they didn't like the name.

Anyway, rambled contribution over ,loving this thread!

Fuschia Wrote:

> There was a Linus in Heber nursery in about 2006!

> And our neighbour has a Keir. But both unusual.

Linus Roache, actor and William Roache's son.

I always think of the Peanuts Cartoon.

I like Nils as well. We actually named our son something else (springbabies ladies know:) ) but as no one in our family liked it i changed it in my postnatal hormonal state:) we even got

Congratulations card with the old name on, oh dear.

I still love the other name but the one he finally got really does suit him. This thread is making me really broody.

Husband laughed when I said I liked it but it's still a favourite (thankfully no more children to inflict it on) - Ptolemy.

Used to like Jude but feel it has been tarnished a little by Jude Law (I'm not a fan of his), but this is one of my oldest's sons middle names.

Also like:

Jago

Mylo (not allowed in our house as I'm Australian and said before, this is a chocolate malt drink)

Zander

Oisin (pronounced OH-sheen)

Raef

Raphael

We've ended up with 2 Old Testament names and are often asked if we are Jewish or Christian (neither).

When our daughter was born I remember looking at her for the first time and saying 'oh, hello M'. We had chosen the name but said let's wait and see if it suits her, but as it turned out she just Was M! with our son it was more of a settling in process. We kept calling him mostly by his pet bump name and the real name we had chosen gradually got to suit him as we got used to it.