Boys' names

Polly D

Reuben is quite an unusual

Name ... I think people are free associating from that (I am) which is what the OP wanted, I think

People fall into different groups I think, re names

Some people seek the unusual and shudder at those who choose a name where there will be 2 or 3 in the class

Others are just the opposite

Horses for courses, I guess

I love this thread and Fuschia going bonkers with endless suggestions - fab, lots of fun.

Defo like Xander.

Unless you go completely out on a limb (like Apple) there are no new names and you will hit on someone else along the way with the same name so go for what you like.

Saying that one of my girls has the middle name Loveday and not met any of those yet. Also caused a few sniggers at the Christening from the other family there having their children Christened but sod 'em I love it.

Isn't it funny how once your child is named you can't imagine them by any other name?

What names were short listed but not used?

Child no 1 could have been Cai or Keir

Daughter was intended to be Grainne if I ever had a girl, but in the end I chose a different name

Latest child no inspiration struck - I toyed with Neirin to universal disapprobation

Love Emil too, and Otto (and was my great-grandfather's name so would be good) but again and again, these names aren't getting past my husband!

Snowboarder, all your suggestions are on my shortlist but again, not on M's.

His suggestion is Willem, as in Dafoe, but I feel he/we would spend his life saying, it's Willem, not William. I like Will. After all, I didn't know he was Willem and not William til my husband pointed it out.

It doesn't have to be unique. We just need to love it!

I like unusual but familiar so you don't spend your life spelling it ( as I do my surname)?i also wanted nice shorter versions and rejected a few lovely boys names as didn't like short form - we went old testament / Jewish and are neithe r religious or Jewish! If you like it I wouldn't over analyse - Reuben was on our list as was Issac, Atticus, Dante ( bit out there ) Jedidiah ( Jed), love Art ( Arthur ), cassisus ( Cass ) . Good luck!

We have a Theo, which I thought was reasonably unusual in 2008, seems not to be the case from the suggestions on this thread! Still love it though.

We toyed also with Dylan and Leo.

I have a friend who has recently had a Fraser which I really like, but very Scottish!

Hmm my husband was similarly negative towards most of my suggestions and could only ome up with Harrison, which I don't like!! Names we didn't use were Jasper and Jacob, both with Joel as a middle name. Eldest's middle name is Ashe, which I love. And I completely love youngest's first name (and am glad we were brave enough to use as initially thought was a bit unusual/pretentious!!) so agree with need to have the wow factor for YOU rather than wider public!!

Others...Jude/Cyrus or Sirus/Arlo/Kester (LOVE this!)/Monty....

Overheard an 'Inigo' being called yesterday at Southbank Rainbow sandpit but his Dad abbreviated it to 'Inny' which made me think of belly buttons and Innies v. Outies.

Also like Jem but short for Jeremy.

Back to the girls, which I just can't help myself and I apologise if the mother is on here but the funniest thing I ever heard was a mum calling 'Bouncey, Bouncey', which I eventually figured was actually Beyonce. But then sod me, it's her choice.

We told our entire family we were going to call number 3 Peckham. No way would we but loved their reactions.

Loads of names on my shortlist are here and I think they are lovely and not strange :) And many of the names Mum2be you may think are v unusual are likely to be very historical/biblical I think. I love old testament names and will probably pick a second even though we are atheists too.

Definitely horses for courses and I know where I fall!