Palestinian lives matter

Chick
Message added by Administrator,

This is a highly emotive topic. Please debate respectfully. Avoid making provocative statements, personal attacks and accusations against other forum members. 

You will be restricted from posting in this topic if you fail to abide by this.

Chick, it would be helpful if you summarised the situation and your views, rather than just posting links. If it is that important, it is worth your time!

I've attached this without reading as an example (article says that most links are not read before posting)

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/59-percent-links-shared-social-media-have-never-actually-been-clicked-study-finds-a7086291.html

And that goes for many others too!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

north2south Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Might be worth a pause in this rather unusual

> thread to consider the Israeli civilian murders

> over the past few weeks. And no, that doesn't mean

> every action taken by Israel/the Israeli

> Government is correct.

Any death is tragic. Israeli deaths are widely reported in mainstream media and world wide. Atrocities against Palestinians are mostly ignored or hardly reported and are far more frequent.

Human Rights Watch, B?Tselem and Amnesty International have declared Israel an apartheid state.

https://www.btselem.org/

Perhaps your posts are out of care, but you just posting one side does nothing to aid understanding of what is a hugely complex situation. It just comes across as unhelpful propaganda - and I don't believe has any place on a discussion board.

If you're going to raise the issue of Palestinian suffering, you can't not mention the role of Hamas - designated as a terrorist organisation by the UK, the US and the EU - who delight in the murder of innocent civilians, have an appalling human rights record, and hatred of the LGBT community.

There is fault on both the Israeli and Palestinian side - but I'm sorry to say your posts are just not helpful in furthering understanding.

You can't talk about Palestinian lives and suffering without the contributory effect of Hamas. The two are inextricably linked.

Every time Hamas celebrates murdering innocent civilians, as an elected party, there is less sympathy for Palestinians - and greater scrutiny placed on funds made available to help Palestinians genuinely suffering.

If this isn't a thread to discuss the issues surrounding the suffering of Palestinians, then it isn't a thread at all - it's just propaganda and posting of links, with you shutting down comment. This is meant to be a discussion board, not an echo chamber.

I genuinely fail to see how you can have any kind of debate about Palestinians, what?s happening to them and not talk about Hamas

I think what is happening to Palestinians is all kinds of wrong. But you may as well say ?I won?t discuss this if we ever mention Israel?

Cowardly cherry picking from pretty much the only person who ever bothers with this thread. I?m not knocking you for caring about this subject but if you want more people to engage you can?t proscribe the terms like that

• 3 weeks later...

Disgusting behaviour.

Behaviour of an insecure player, they couldn?t even just let a funeral procession proceed with flags.

We could hope the profile of the plight of Palestinians would be increased, but their plight?s been known and documented for 70yrs already.

Sanction Russia, but not Israel ?!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I genuinely fail to see how you can have any kind of debate about Palestinians, what?s happening to them and not talk about Hamas

I think what is happening to Palestinians is all kinds of wrong. But you may as well say ?I won?t discuss this if we ever mention Israel?

Cowardly cherry picking from pretty much the only person who ever bothers with this thread. I?m not knocking you for caring about this subject but if you want more people to engage you can?t proscribe the terms like that

chick is not interested in debate. Not interested in the 2m Israeli arabs (in the so-called apartheid state) who enjoy better education and medical care than us in the UK. Not interested in palestinian childrens TV that teaches them to aspire to martyrdom. Not interested in the Hamas pusch that killed 100's of fatah/innocent palestinians. Not interested in money from EU funds, Qatar and Saudi giving pensions to families of those who kill the jew.

But it's not that simple. You point out some of the benefits of the state of Israel, but there are many wrongs which fan the fire of extremism - rightly or wrongly - and the move to the right/nationalism/the orthodox isn't likely to improve things.

Of course its a fuggin mess across the region (to which the Western powers very much contributed) and I don't have any simple answers.

Visted almost 30 years ago staying with people on both sides - very much separate societies. Jerusalem was a wonderful melting pot which I understand development is very much spoiling

• 8 months later...

Just wondering if this is an appropriate thread to post on at the moment.  Obviously horrid events have been happening both in Gaza and Israel.  As regards the mainstream media there has been some good reporting/discussion on Radio 4, more in depth than their news bulletins and the Beeb TV news.  Perhaps Channel 4 and Newsnight are better sources.  

Would this be a good place to talk about how peace could be delivered or is this just far too sensitive?