Girls names - help!

To be fair my real (loathed) name is Theodora and I'm one of 4 Theodora's in my family so family events can be quite annoying.

Mrs TP Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Poor Thea! I am a Jane and that is so dull. I

> used to go to a monthly meeting at work that

> consisted of 4 of us all called Jane and one of

> the contacts that we had to discuss was another

> Jane. Somehow we never got confused but I hated

> that my name was so common. I now regard it as

> classic but there are still millions of us.

>

> Consequently, I tried for less popular names for

> my brood. We have a Lilian who goes mad that I

> refuse to shorten it to Lily as that is v popular.

> She prefers the short version as it is on all the

> named tat you can buy all over the place. People

> automatically shorten it and that annoys me

> massively and stick two ls in the middle, which is

> an Americanisation not the traditional European

> spelling.

>

> My two rules are, as I said on the boy's thread,

> not names that can be confused with surnames and

> intuitive spelling.

>

> Love both these threads.

anyone like Isadora? We are having a girl in a few weeks and as my Mum's name is Dora and husband's grandmother is also Dora thought it would be nice to keep it in the family but not mad about the name for a little girl, thought Isadora might be a nice alternative?

She might get picked on and get called Dora the Explorer. When I was a kid, I was called Wizadora (popular kid's show when I was young) on what felt like, an hourly basis! It wasn't fun. Could get shortened to Izzy which is sweet.

kam1 Wrote:

> anyone like Isadora? We are having a girl in a

> few weeks and as my Mum's name is Dora and

> husband's grandmother is also Dora thought it

> would be nice to keep it in the family but not mad

> about the name for a little girl, thought Isadora

> might be a nice alternative?

I have a vague recollection of a certain headteacher telling me I was lucky to have such an interesting name and wasn't it nice that the other children noticed, it's only a children'd television show, after all! They might not do it in class, but there's still the playground to contend with. Just putting my opinion in as someone with a similar name!

Mrs TP Wrote:

> We know a Dora at school and I heard on the

> grapevine her whole class was warned that 'Dora

> the Explorer' jokes would not be tolerated.

This was our working list for both no.1 & no.2 daughters...

Anouk

Audrey

Betsy

Blythe

Bonnie

Carrie

Cassie

Carys

Cecily

Cleo

Coco

Dora

Edie

Edith

Ellen

Elodie

Eloise

Evelyn

Evie

Florence

Gracie

Hattie

Iris

Ivy

Lila

Livia

Lois

Lola

Lottie

Luna

Mabel

Mae

Maeve

Mary

Mathilda (Tilly)

Olivia (Liv)

Peg (Peggy)

Phoebe

Polly

Poppy

Rae

Sadie

Stella

Sybil

Sylvie

Tabitha

Vera

Violet

Oooh thanks forum, such a lot of food for thought. I'm inspired by all the posters who suggested rediscovering names from eras past. And Ruth_Baldock, I also really really love Scout for a girl, but think it would sound too abrupt with our short surname.

Will definitely be adding some of these suggestions to my longlist for discussion with my other half!

Sorry to hear some have felt an unusual name is a bind. My name was really unusual (although not so unusual anymore) and I always really liked not being one of quite a few. The most common name when I was growing up was definitely the Kates / Katherines / Catherines - must have been at least 7 in my year at senior school...

Keep 'em coming, thanks for all the help!

I LOVE the name Alba, Polly D & Waaaahhhh Minder re someone else having a female Eden. No more babies for me, but now and again I covertly mention the name to my youngest & tell her she can always change her name later if she wants (is that bad?!!???).

I purposely call our Charlotte by all the variations - Lottie, Charlie & actually we have a nickname we use a lot too. Our view is that she will decide later which of the variations she prefers - it tends to change from day to day at the moment but Lottie is the one she most often says is 'not her name' if used by nursery etc (they had 2 Charlottes so tried this initially at my suggestion but she put them right in no uncertain terms). LOL.

I think others have said it before & my story proves it - only choose names that you also like the various shortened versions of!!

Pasta Wrote:

> A friends daughter is called Jocelyn which I think

> is sweet, they call her jossy for short.

> Also like savannah

Have friend called Jocelyn, she just goes by Jo.

I like Edith. Shortened to Edie.

So many pretty girls names! We have a Stella who was very nearly Jennifer or Miranda. Still wonder if perhaps we should have christened her Estelle or Estella and just called her Stella. Very much agree re liking the shortened versions - that ruled out a lot of names for me. Thought no one could shorten Stella but she does occasionally get Stels which I hate.

There were 2 Thea's in my year at school and 1 in my uni class so obviously not that unusual in the North West in the 70s/80s!