Compulsory Face coverings on Public Transport.

DulwichFox

lameduck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know

> this is going off the thread somewhat, They say

> the warm weather drys virus out

> so it dies on surfaces, in the sun. So possibly

> will slow transmission, for example

> postman touching your gate, and your letter etc.

> Whats worrying me, in the summer this will die

> back

> just like seasonal flu, And peoples attitudes,

> especially the young, no masks, or face coverings,

> gay abandon, riots.

> high street open, we are all back to normal

> It will just bounce back when weather changes, We

> may be back in lockdown come October

Totally agree-I work in a west end shop and theres an almost holiday atmosphere to the shoppers we have had through the door-ignoring social distancing (despite clear signage in place everywhere) most of them not wearing masks people milling in groups-my manager has advised shop floor staff to wear masks because the customers despite our best efforts seem oblivious to the fact the reason they are not in work and free to wander the shops is due to a global pandemic

Blah blah I understand viruses mutate my probkem is our interference with the mutation. Im sure you will be aware of Dr Ralph Baric who was working with gain of function research and sars virus. I would not say whatdeveloped from that work was a natural mutation. His worry was this type of rresearch would be suspended. Why interfere and mutate a virus when they cannot yet understand viruses natural mutation. It seems madness and dangerous to be doing this work with the reasons being to help find a virus when we are faced with a zoonotic mutation. Thus was 2015. So with this work did they find a vaccine. How far can they go with this research.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985

Edited to say the link above of the mutation of the fluvirus subtype H3N3 clearly says it was caused by the growing in a chicken egg, i would not ckass that as a natural mutation either.

It is a natural mutation because it is organic. The same mutation could easily occur in the hen producing the egg. Synthetic mutations involve directly altering the protein spikes and/or DNA in a lab. There's a clear difference there.

On mutations, there is actually a lot that IS understood. And it is understood because of research like this that can be carried out. When presented with a novel virus, it is one thing to identify the zoonotic host carrier. Another to identify the intermediate host and the steps of mutation.

We have to find a answer to SARS and there is no other way to do that than to carry out the kind of research you are so worried about.

Blah blah I think we have different ideas of natural. It is organic yes but it is man made. I believe it is to big a risk this kind of research. I also feel humans cannot be trusted when in comes to trying to understand nature. We tend to look at nature like it must be controlled. I am not against science in fact I love science and am grateful for advancements made but we as humans are our own worse enemies. We do not have a right to interfere and justify any actions for what we believe to be best. If it was the case it was for the good of mankind the industry would have to change. There is a virus going around that worries me more than the corona, it is a human condition. Denial is part of it. And a right to behave like we are the only living beings on this planet. I wish you a good day, im having a break for a few days as it effects me physically using my phone. It is to much of an effort for me.

I read JohnL's comment as he tried wearing a banana as covering which bemused me for a while

On the return trip to Peckham yesterday I did a rough head count and about 50% weren't wearing masks on the outward journey and about 25%on the return (including an off shift driver). Most of the maskless people were on their phones

TE44. The research that you think is a big risk is the method by which we create the annual flu vaccine. Hens eggs are used to create that. Are you suggesting we stop doing that as well? By your logic, we should never try and create any treatments that might save or better lives. How do you feel about stem cell treatments for example? You can not have it both ways.

RE. original post, face coverings on public transport....

From TFL

"Although the wearing of face coverings is mandatory there is a long list of exemptions. Drivers can't tell who is exempt (e.g. passengers with breathing difficulties) and who isn't. They can politely remind passengers that if they can wear a face covering, they should do so; and they can make announcements to remind passengers to cover their faces.However, drivers have no authority to enforce the wearing of face coverings; that power lies with the police (who can issue fines)".

Alec1 Wrote:

> RE. original post, face coverings on public

> transport....

>

> From TFL

>

> "Although the wearing of face coverings is

> mandatory there is a long list of exemptions.

> Drivers can't tell who is exempt (e.g. passengers

> with breathing difficulties) and who isn't. They

> can politely remind passengers that if they can

> wear a face covering, they should do so; and they

> can make announcements to remind passengers to

> cover their faces.However, drivers have no

> authority to enforce the wearing of face

> coverings; that power lies with the police (who

> can issue fines)".

They need to issue badges like the 'please offer me a seat ' ones to be honest I'm suprised they didn't have them ready for the 15th june-they knew facecovings on public transport were sure to become mandatory but there seems to have been little joined up thinking

NewWave Wrote:

> Alec1 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > RE. original post, face coverings on public

> > transport....

> >

> > From TFL

> >

> > "Although the wearing of face coverings is

> > mandatory there is a long list of exemptions.

> > Drivers can't tell who is exempt (e.g.

> passengers

> > with breathing difficulties) and who isn't.

> They

> > can politely remind passengers that if they can

> > wear a face covering, they should do so; and

> they

> > can make announcements to remind passengers to

> > cover their faces.However, drivers have no

> > authority to enforce the wearing of face

> > coverings; that power lies with the police (who

> > can issue fines)".

>

> They need to issue badges like the 'please offer

> me a seat ' ones to be honest I'm suprised they

> didn't have them ready for the 15th june-they knew

> facecovings on public transport were sure to

> become mandatory but there seems to have been

> little joined up thinking

THe INdependent has this article about a new TFL card for those with medical reasons not to wear a facemask: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/face-masks-coverings-tfl-exemption-cards-baby-on-board-style-badges-asthma-sufferers-a9578586.html