The price of toddler classes in Dulwich

susie22

Now that Sept is upon us it is time to choose which activites to sign up for and pay upfront for a term for anything I want to take my child to. The thing is I am not getting my maternity pay anymore - and we are managing on one income and increased rent. So much less money. But I am going back to work in about 6 months so I want these last 6 months to be special and do some lovely things with my child. I have looked into lots of options and they all seem quite steep (it didn't bother me so much when I could afford it) - for example the following are all around ?8 (give or take 50p) for 30-40 mins...tin pan annie, Whippersnappers, Sign and Sign, Caterpiller Music, Little Bubbles etc. Since most classes expect you to pay upfront for a term it is just quite a lot of money.

Is there anything out there that is more reasonably priced????

Ideally my top budget is around ?5 a class and I would like a good quality class - but I despair of finding anything in my price range.

Any ideas? Anyone else think that these prices are high considering the economic climate?

Bea baby bop - five pounds now I think. The best music class we went to.

Crystal palace one o clock club - I think five pounds now as well and it is all morning.

Swimming

Gymnastics

Soft play

Actually the more I think about it, the more I realise I never paid ?8 for a class! So there are plenty, do not fear.

Thanks - that was really quick - all good suggestions - what I would really like is something that has the same people each week (which you get with term sign ups) - soft play is great sometimes - but I like something more structured for my child. I will look into the Bea class. Also swimming is a good idea if there are classes in my price range.

Hi Susie

I have just opened a new class in East Dulwich at the EDT http://www.fuzzyandfriends.com

My standard drop in rate is ?6 a class, but if you sign up for a term you get a discount which brings it to just over ?5 per class and you also get an amazing free puppet toy....

However since this is a new class, for the month of September I am giving all new comers a chance to try their very first class for a reduced rate of ?4.

The classes are based around a character called Fuzzy who goes on an adventure (a different adventure each week). Plus after the class you get free tea and biscuits.

I really hope you come and try a class out. You can call me or email me if you have any questions: 07903830384 / [email protected]

The classes are held at the EDT (East Dulwich Tavern) 1 Lordship Lane (near the roundabout) on Wednesday mornings.

10am is the under 2 year olds class and 11am is the 2-5 year olds class.

How old is your child?

Also - swimming classes are great and they are ?5.50 a class (or they were when I was doing them) at East Dulwich swimming pool and Peckham Pulse.

I hope this all helps,

Thanks

Tara

There are lots of lovely free surestart activities in local children's centres.

www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200246/activities_and_things_to_do/768/services_and_activities_for_under_fives

Not sure I can get this link to work, anyway on the Southwark.gov.uk website (full site not mobile) go to children and families, things to do, under fives things to do to find pdfs to download of the activities for each area.

TClasses run by individual self employed people will be priced at a higher rate because the people running those groups have to cover all the associated costs such as venue hire and publicity. Once a class gets a good reputation, it will get packed out - I remember taking my son to the popular Tickle Shop a few years ago and I can imagine that it's more difficult to run bigger groups. So having slighly higher prices - 2 or 3 pounds more might help keep numbers down while still enabling group organizers to earn an income.

Anyway, as someone who is self employed I sympathize with the people who run the groups and their pricing structure because when you are self employed what you earn for that 1hour of your activity has to cover you for all the work it takes to provide the activity. I think a solution could be to find one class you are happy to pay more for and committ to that and then do a range of other activities such as things run by childrens centers which are state subsidized. (libraries run popular free activities as does the hornimann) Or i know myself that it's more than easy to spend &8 for lunch out so maybe you could replace something u do like that in the week?

Mini P classes were very sweet - but they don't run anymore in Dulwich - you'd have to go all the way to St Johns Wood now. Also when I took kids there it was

?10 a class unless you signed up for 20 sessions! I am a nanny so it was the family who footed the bill but they were never ever ?5 drop in!!!

Tippee toes is very sweet but really for young kids I think - and it gets quite repetitive after a while. But the drop in element is good.

I attended a Fuzzy class trial and that was really good and one of the best value classes round here for sure.

I think it is better than most things I have taken kids to over the years.

I am starting a classical concert series for children (just once a month at the moment though). Tuesday 25th Sept, Tuesday 23rd October and Tuesday 20th November.

Starts with Ahmed Dickinson Latin and classical guitar.

All Saints West Dulwich, SE21 8JY. 10.30-11.30.

45 mins informal concert, designed for children. Juice and biscuits afterwards.

?6 per adult.

Tumble at the Albrighton Centre is ?2 per child. It's a soft play group with ball pit, small bouncy castles and soft blocks. Clean equipment and friendly staff too. Bot sure how old your toddler is but mine was only interested in running around and opening and closing doors and climbing on things for ages. Expensive classes were a waste as she'd just be rattling the fire escape or running into the loos! When she was about 2.5/3 er started Diddi Dance which was fab and she actually got something from it, i.e. followed the instructions and danced. I think it's ?6 per class but she wouldn't have been ready for it before 2.5ish.

My elder 2 children are under 17 months apart in age, and I was always on the lookout for classes or activities that we could go to that wouldn't cost loads - I didn't qualify for maternity pay of any sort!

When my oldest was 2 we went to Little Bubbles, which was excellent, but that was the only sign up type class we did (we then continued to do that class right up until my 2nd child was 3). They loved the cheap and cheerful type playgroups - the ones that cost about a pound, Mum gets a cup of tea, lots of toys setups. I'm about to start going to those sorts of groups again with #3 so need to figure out which of my old haunts are still operating!

I go to a couple of play groups which only cost ?2 - ?3. The first is at Chatsworch baptist church in west dulwich, chatsworth way, on a wednesday morning. Loads to do including painting etc.

The other is called playpen (I think) in the church hall on gypsy hill on a Thursday morning.

Both great groups and lots of the same people go so nice to see familiar faces!

Good old fashioned playdates? They are free.

Also there are stay and play sessions at Bessemer Grange on Monday mornings and they are free.

Plus most libraries have free toddler sessions at least once a week. Ask at your local library for times.

You can easily fill your week with that kind of stuff.

But if you want to pick one class to sign up for a term to - I'd go for the Fuzzy class if I were you - based on price since all the others are ?7-?9 a class and Fuzzy is around ?5 a class - I went to a trial and it was just as good as any of the classes you listed - just cheaper!

I run music classes (Sparkle Music). At the moment I'm running (separate) classes for babies and 2-3 year olds. I ask people to book a 6 week term at a time as classes are limited in number, progressive and regular attendance means the mums and children can learn a nice bunch of songs, and of course some musical skills. After a free trial my classes work out at ?5 per class.

hi, Whippersnappers in college lodge run music sessions for under fives at 9.30 on tues weds and fri, and again at 10.30 on fri. the classes are great cos you can drop in and many of the children attend each week, College lodge is great as there is a lovely garden, tea and coffee and cakes, many people stay for a play after the session and of course you are in the park! Lunch is also available all home cooked.

I used to mix n match - some free classes with some I had to pay for like Baby Sensory and other music classes - can def recommend Bea's baby bop and know people who love Tippeetoes, Fuzzy's and Whippersnappers... I fancy the classical concerts above so might give that a try just for a change.

Go to http://www.eastdulwichmummy.com/parent--baby--toddler-groups.html for more info about local guide as to "what's on" in ED and surrounding areas. Great little cookery class in Nunhead too that won't break the bank - Crafty Cooks :)

Hi guys

Just to give you a heads up that my second week of term is this Wednesday for anyone who is free/ interested in trying out the Fuzzy and Friends class. The website is http://www.fuzzyandfriends.com

The featured country this week is Egypt and the theme this week is Cats and Queens.

I hope to see you there. If anyone is interested in coming please get in contact on [email protected] or contact me on 07903830384.

Thanks

Tara