computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did he have any thought about blanking out the

> Road Name, and popossibly leaving an Ambulance

> driver unable to find that person needing

> emergency treatment? Lets hope he does not fall

> off of the Cherry Picker he is using.

> If he did have permission to paint this then who

> is to blame for this removal of a Trafic Sign.

> Ask Southwark Council.

All the art works have permissions from the wall owners and Southwark. About the road name, do you mean Vale End? I think it has masking tape over it to stop paint splatters and the artist forgot to take it off. So its easily removed, and I will see that it is done tomorrow. Not sure what you mean about the traffic sign. Which traffic sign?

Southwark Borough Council

A Street Name Plate with a CUL De Sac Sign included is a Trafic Sign.

Street name plates

We are responsible for ensuring that street name plates are provided for each road in Southwark and that they are fitted in suitable positions. We are also responsible for the repair and maintenance of street name plates if they're damaged. In the case of new development however, the developer is responsible for the erection of name plates to the council's specification.

You can report a problem with a street name plate by contacting us or by completing the online street furniture problem report form from Southwark Borough Council.

It might be of interest to notify all the obliterated Name plates to the Council.

I for one do not appreciate that these paintings are forced on me I have no liking for a mess show at places dictated by the painter, and the content is not to my taste, it looks a bit vain to show ones self in it. It will not be hard to trace the painter if not known, as it is on hire the phone number is only of the group hire, it can be traced by its Vehicle Registration Number.

Do the supporters of these so called Art Works realise that the paint will peel after a while and it will be an eye sore, have the owners of the premises thought that in time they will be brought to make good the wall to an acceptable condition.

It will be interesting when convicted of Public Transport Signs damage, that the culpret is sent to serve time in a Prison with high walls that he might find time to paint.

@computedshorty

Life must be such a drag. I for one think the Spurling Road effort awesome. The wall before the mural needed attention. As for road signs that was lazy but in the modern world of sat nav I don't think it a major issue.

I think we should invite Adam Buxton to read these comments out loud, like his classic stand up of reading you tube comments/arguments following a film. Some of the comments here are priceless... I'm just waiting for computedshorty to start talking about 'real art' and then I'll forward the thread to Buxton to consider.

healey Wrote:

> The girl in that last mural is badly drawn,

> unfortunately. Her arm is too long and badly

> posed. The artist needs to get his anatomy up to

> scratch...

What an arsehole!

The placing of paint spray Graffiti or Pictures.

My objection of placing any of these items should be controlled by Planning Dept of the Southwark Borough Council, as any other item that can be seen by the public should have to pass the Planning Control.

My objection is to the control of produced pictures is not to the main public standard is far below a certain quality, are for the beholder to give their own findings and say if they are in favour or not, to display these Willy Nilly where they want to put them.

Can we consider where these will start to become visible, on the corner of your own Street or Lane, if acceptable to you they might not be to the future residents when they come to live here, to see faded and flaking drawings deteriorating over the years, as we can see in Ireland.

It could be the case that those approached to have a painting on a wall might not be the owner, just a short term Tenant or a passing Publican, or use the premises on short term.

Looking at the Costs of painting, their picture the cost of hiring the lifting Cherry Picker, the Purchase of hundreds of spray paint cans to produce the finished item. Surly the painter could afford to buy his own background to paint on.

Once a picture is painted it will not be altered to satisfy any residents wishes.

To remove these pictures would never be financed by the painter, it would be to the cost of the Occupant at that time.

If a case was brought to court the painter might be forced to remove it, supervised by an Official, I have no doubt that he would not supply the materials or lift hire, it is not always realised that a Pressure washer will penetrate a wall leaving it porous to the future rain water penetration.

If this is removed as Graffiti by the Southwark Borough Council, the men?s time and use of Plant will have to be reclaimed.

So you will be in the situation of paying for this as its cost is added to your Rates.

I wonder how long it will be before a grieving relative calling at their loved ones grave see a picture put on the Headstone by this painter.

I would think that any thoughts on this subject could be posted here for all to read and show if they would like this to continue, to support the painting or force the Southwark Borough Council to act, on behalf of a list of residents.

One person has little chance of securing a successful conclusion.

Elect your spokes person and Vote.

aprovocateur Wrote:

> Interesting points there computedshorty... hope

> you're heading along to the street art debate

> upstairs at the EDT this Sunday?

I wouldn't pay ???????? (double quids) to discuss the arrogance of an extra-territorial.

No doubt you'll get some mutual self-affirming attendees.

John K

Sorry due to my long standing attendance that has been arranged at the Cavalry Parade in Hyde in Park this Sunday is my top priority.

Its a long day starting at being there from 9am, ready for the March Past, then the Service at the Bandstand.

The luncheon is held at 1pm in a Hotel In Piccadilly, till late afternoon, then we go to the Hyde Park Barracks as guests of the Regiment. We don't normally leave until midnight.

We are able to see the Museum, horses and stables, it must have been strange for very one of the serving soldiers had been dismounted all day.

After my first service some sixty four years ago not many of my Old Comrades are still living, those who are not able to attend.

So I am sure that this is my priority.

I might get some pictures.

Blimey, I wasn't criticising computedshortly on attending that service - my Dad is at a similar one for survivors of the Arctic Convoys tomorrow. Just couldn't see the link between him being there and his views on street art - sorry for any offence *retires bruised*

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> Peckhamrye Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So computedshortly what relevance does that

> have

> > to your views on street art?

>

>

> The relevance is that he cannot attend the street

> art debate due to a prior (and some would say,

> much more meaningful) prior engagement.

Nicely put, and very polite given the post you were respondibg to!

And I hope that "most would think" should replace "some".

Response to comments by computedshortly: Southwark planning dept knows all about the murals going up and has given its permission. Of course the owners of the walls gave their permission. There were discussions, they liked the artist and the concept of the festival and the design for their wall. The immediate neighbours were told and in every case they also have loved the proposed murals. But you cant ask everyone!

In some cases the artists have signed a contract saying they will maintain their work, so that it does not deteriorate.

The artists do not fund any of the work. The not inconsiderable expense has been funded by donations.

If the council were, for some reason, to require the paintings to be removed, it would not be the painter who would be asked to remove them, but the person who got the permission in the first place. In this case it is me. So no cost to the tax payer.

I hope you have good day tomorrow.

I think Roa was painting on Choumert Road today... haven't checked it out, will probably head down tomorrow some time.

There is a leaflet in loads of shops and bars round East Dulwich for 'Baroque the Streets', it has a map with artists/locations one side, but no times/dates because these are a bit more fluid.

Hello Ingrid,

I was expecting a lovely, new mural on the now tatty and tagged big wall on Goodrich Road near to Barry Road, but nothing's changed. Wasn't it meant to be revamped this weekend just past? Can it be done another time? It's a state and really needs improving. Have you an 'in' with the wall's owner? Could you persuade them it would be a fine use of his/her space if it were to be painted over nicely?

Thanks,

Nigello