Scaffolding over glass side return

JT76

Hi

Wonder if anyone knows the answer to this. My neighbours have a side return to the side of my property, and I need to access the wall above the side return (my wall) to maintain guttering and pointing. Clearly it is not possible to put a ladder down or traditional scaffolding. Anyone know if scaffolding can be cantilevered from one side? Presume this is a relatively common problem here in side return mad ED?

Thanks

I'm guessing that many of the extensions along the side return are so new the problem may not have surfaced yet.

So I'm thinking that you have a two storey extensions is that right?

Does the wall form part of the boundary between your two properties? I.e. is it a party wall?

How does the glass extension of the neighbour's house work? Is it free standing? Connected to your wall? How is the space between the two properties usually cleaned?

Cantilevered scaffolding is possible, but if it overhangs the neighbouring property you need their permission, and they may be unwilling to give it over a glass roof!

Got any photos for clarity?

Thanks. Will see if I can get some photos. Their side return is one and a half height storey height. It joins the party wall with our house. The bit I need to get access to is the remaining one and a half storeys from the top of my house - although technically if this is a party wall do they have an obligation to maintain this as well???

• 11 years later...

Along the lines of the above, has anyone had to put up scaffold over a side return extension, where their neighbours have also got a side return up to the party wall? How did you anchor the scaffold?